Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 2.0 - Interminent Hungs  (Read 29265 times)

rdonson

Lightroom 2.0 - Interminent Hungs
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 07:11:08 pm »

Its clear Adobe released it premature .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think that's a fair assessment.  Windoze is a fairly open platform and its very difficult to test for all possible configurations and potential corruptions.   That's why public beta programs have become popular.
Regards,
Ron

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 07:04:55 pm »

I had a similar problem.  Every time I selected a specific image and clicked the drop-down WB list, it would hang up right after that.  I tried removing and re-importing, deleting the file and re-importing, recreating a DNG and re-importing.  Nothing worked.  What DID work was relauch and optimize.

Note I have removed LR 1.4 and 2.0beta.  
Vista32, 4 gb ram (yeah, I know, it doesn't really use it...)

BTW, it was a particularly bad photo.  Perhaps LR knows this and was protecting me from myself.  

Dave Chew

Tklimek

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 07:07:57 pm »

"BTW, it was a particularly bad photo.  Perhaps LR knows this and was protecting me from myself.  "

Now that is real AI!!  LOL

Cheers....

Todd

I had a similar problem.  Every time I selected a specific image and clicked the drop-down WB list, it would hang up right after that.  I tried removing and re-importing, deleting the file and re-importing, recreating a DNG and re-importing.  Nothing worked.  What DID work was relauch and optimize.

Note I have removed LR 1.4 and 2.0beta. 
Vista32, 4 gb ram (yeah, I know, it doesn't really use it...)

BTW, it was a particularly bad photo.  Perhaps LR knows this and was protecting me from myself. 

Dave Chew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:08:47 pm by Tklimek »

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 10:05:40 pm »

I had a *ton* of problems with the 2.0 beta.

So far the 2.0 final release is rock solid.  PC with Win XP 2.0  Both a laptop and desktop.

Best,
Michael

Littlefield

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 06:23:37 pm »

I don't think that's a fair assessment.  Windoze is a fairly open platform and its very difficult to test for all possible configurations and potential corruptions.   That's why public beta programs have become popular.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214331\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

''FWIW, the slow sliders that some are experiencing is a reproducible bug that was accidentally introduced just before release, and should be fixed in the next dot release''
From Victoria Queen of LR on Fred Miranda so I think I believe her

rdonson

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 09:21:39 pm »

''FWIW, the slow sliders that some are experiencing is a reproducible bug that was accidentally introduced just before release, and should be fixed in the next dot release''
From Victoria Queen of LR on Fred Miranda so I think I believe her
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't doubt that in the least.  Doesn't seem like it relates to a premature release on Adobe's part though.  

I think you'd be thoroughly disappointed in how long it would take to fix every bug in software.  It would never get released.  All software gets shipped with a known list of bugs.  Perhaps you'd be surprised to see the errata sheet for all the bugs in your Intel processor.    
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 04:46:16 pm »

As I work events in LR 2 I've been keeping closer tabs on when it hangs or dies.  I now run with Windoze Task Manager open and I was surprised to see that when LR 2 hangs it has started a second instance of LR2.  I have no idea what that's about but its a behavior I've observed about 3-4 times today.  Sometimes after a few minutes the second instance of LR goes away and it recovers, sometimes not.
Regards,
Ron

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 12:54:59 am »

Same thing happens to me - two instances of LR in the task manager when it hangs.

Dual opteron, dual core, winXP SP2, 3 gigs ram. No other program I have used in the last two years has crashed as often as LR2 does.

With all due respect to a response earlier in this thread about optimization, catalog backup/comparing, testing... My system is VERY stable and has been since I bought it 2 years ago or so... Photoshop runs without a hitch, bridge crashes every once in awhile, other software does crash - but very infrequently... there is something going on in LR2 to make it crash five times in one session of editing. I am still using the trial version, but I will tell you that I will NOT buy the software if it is going to be like this all the time...

*steve

As I work events in LR 2 I've been keeping closer tabs on when it hangs or dies.  I now run with Windoze Task Manager open and I was surprised to see that when LR 2 hangs it has started a second instance of LR2.  I have no idea what that's about but its a behavior I've observed about 3-4 times today.  Sometimes after a few minutes the second instance of LR goes away and it recovers, sometimes not.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215318\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
semillerimages.com

AdrianL

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 06:24:09 am »

Using MAC with TIGER,
When assigning keywords by selecting files, then dragging the files over the chosen keyword always causes a hangup.  When I select the files, then highlight the keyword, right click on the keyword, then select assign to selected files, no hangup occurs.  
All in all, 2.0 seems to be slower.  Only have 3 GB RAM on MacBook Pro 17"
I have not uninstalled 1.4 yet.  Will be upgrading to LEOPARD this week-end.  Worried about how my Epson R2400 will work with LEOPARD.

Bill J

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 12:55:56 pm »

I was having the same issue and found that uninstalling LR 1.4.1 has resolved much if not all of the delays.
I also found that LR 2.0 performance improved considerably after I uninstalled LR 1.4. I certainly wasn't running both at the same time, and I have no explanation other than that maybe there was some issue with the Common Files and the two versions.

I'm running WinXP Pro, SP2, with a Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM.

Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but now I have very few issues with the new version. I notice that the Adjustment Brush can be pretty CPU intensive. My guess it takes a while for the program to update the SVG-type code that describes the gradient mesh to parametrically apply the adjustment. As I recall from the LL tutorial, Jeff recommends keeping the strokes as simple as possible.

Bill J

paulbk

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 05:04:17 pm »

Reference: PC, XP Pro, 4 gigs ram, 32 bit mode,  CPU = AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (Socket 939) @ 2.4 GHz

LR 2.0 is slow, buggy, and hangs (requires close and loss of recent work). There is no configuration fix. The problem is Lightroom. This is not an open question. Ask anybody, including Adobe.

It may run fine on other machines. But on the reference PC it’s not worth the trouble. Waiting for next dot release.

p

btw, Photoshop CS3 and LR 1.4 run fast and smooth on the reference PC.

btw-2, I think Lightroom has a very bright future. Conceptually the best photo managment & minor edit tool in the world. Most intuitive (best) UI, period.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:27:07 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Tklimek

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 09:40:29 pm »

I find this very interesting; the # of problems being reported regarding Lightroom.

Maybe I'm not a heavy enough user to run into these.

I run LR 2.0 on a Windows Vista system (32 bit) with 4 GB RAM (only uses 3) and some sort of Intel Duo core processor.  Although sometimes it will slowdown and "think" for a moment; I don't believe I have ever had it crash or slowdown more than 2 or 3 seconds.

I must be lucky!  I guess it should be noted that my computer in general NEVER crashes (I'm very VERY careful about loading cr*p on my system) and that I have uninstalled all prior versions of Lightroom even before installing 2.0.

Todd in Chicago

Reference: PC, XP Pro, 4 gigs ram, 32 bit mode,  CPU = AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (Socket 939) @ 2.4 GHz

LR 2.0 is slow, buggy, and hangs (requires close and loss of recent work). There is no configuration fix. The problem is Lightroom. This is not an open question. Ask anybody, including Adobe.

It may run fine on other machines. But on the reference PC it’s not worth the trouble. Waiting for next dot release.

p

btw, Photoshop CS3 and LR 1.4 run fast and smooth on the reference PC.

btw-2, I think Lightroom has a very bright future. Conceptually the best photo managment & minor edit tool in the world. Most intuitive (best) UI, period.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217190\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

gardnerdw

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 01:44:02 pm »

I am having a somewhat different problem, but I think it is related.  Using key words, adding, removing, changing is very slow on my Win XP SP2 system.
Using 3 ghz dual core, 4 gm ram, SATA 3G hard drive
I tried optimizing database, defragmenting hard drive which has 24 gb space open.

To delete one of two key words from a photo using LR2 stops the program for 25 seconds (before you can do anything with Lr).  Doing anything with the keyword list takes the same 25 seconds.  This includes creating new key words, deleting or moving key words, or adding a keyword to a photos.
When I open the same photo in LR 1.4, I deleted the same keyword (different database) and LR never slowed down.  Response was instantaneous.

Both catalogs have the same number of photos and are large. (about 50,000 pictures)

Could this be the same problem?
David Gardner

MBehrens

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 11:52:15 pm »

... When I open the same photo in LR 1.4 ...
David Gardner
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dave,

Just for grins, try uninstalling LR 1.4.1 and do some testing. On my windows PC this alleviated much of the slowness. Certain areas are still slow, but keywording is much better, my experience was similar to yours.

Your timing of 25 seconds caught my eye. After doing all of the optimizations steps I still have a persistent lag of 25 seconds from the time that I delete (from disk as well as from the catalog) an image and lightroom completes the delete and returns control to me. I'd be curious if you experience the same lag when deleting images.

- Morey

NikosR

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 04:52:12 am »

Dave,

Just for grins, try uninstalling LR 1.4.1 and do some testing. On my windows PC this alleviated much of the slowness. Certain areas are still slow, but keywording is much better, my experience was similar to yours.

Your timing of 25 seconds caught my eye. After doing all of the optimizations steps I still have a persistent lag of 25 seconds from the time that I delete (from disk as well as from the catalog) an image and lightroom completes the delete and returns control to me. I'd be curious if you experience the same lag when deleting images.

- Morey
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the feeling that, at least on Win platform, many of the long delays or hangups (not crashes mind you)  experienced both by me and other users, in quite high-end rigs I might add, have to do with Lightroom's task synchronisation. I am convinced by now that there are serious bugs in the program that I hope will get addressed in a dot release. The sooner the better.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 04:52:37 am by NikosR »
Nikos

gardnerdw

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 08:37:27 am »

Dave,

- Morey
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the suggestion.  At the present time I am more inclined to remove LR2!  If I remove LR1, will it leave the catalog?  
I have done some testing with task manager.   When a add a key word, Task manager shows two LR programs running, both non responding.  CPU usage goes up to >80%.  After about 25 seconds, CPU usage goes down, only one of the LR programs is present and it says it is running!
When I delete a photo it takes 20 seconds before the system is functional again.
Dave

gardnerdw

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 08:38:10 am »

I have the feeling that, at least on Win platform, many of the long delays or hangups (not crashes mind you)  experienced both by me and other users, in quite high-end rigs I might add, have to do with Lightroom's task synchronisation. I am convinced by now that there are serious bugs in the program that I hope will get addressed in a dot release. The sooner the better.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217516\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am very much in agreement with you!
Dave

MBehrens

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 11:07:45 am »

... If I remove LR1, will it leave the catalog? 
I have done some testing with task manager.   When a add a key word, Task manager shows two LR programs running, both non responding.  CPU usage goes up to >80%.  After about 25 seconds, CPU usage goes down, only one of the LR programs is present and it says it is running!
When I delete a photo it takes 20 seconds before the system is functional again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217541\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uninstalling LR1 will not effect your LR1 catalogs and can be easily reinstalled if need be.

Interesting that you see the same delay in deleting. My guess is the file management (reading writing files) is broken in LR2. Any kind of disk activity is taking a long time.

- Morey

AdrianL

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 10:08:56 am »

After reading all the posts here, and on other sites, decided to upgrade my computer.
Some LR-2 speed improvement accomplished by upgrading the MBP HD to a larger and faster (7500 RPM), upgraded to max memory (4GB), upgraded to Leopard.  This allowed 64 bit operation.  Also moved the library off my external disk where my photos are to the default location where LR puts it in my user location.  The results are amazing.  Also deleted the preferences file and reset the preferences.  
I think the location of the LR library was key here.  Everything else helped.  LR now runs without hangups.  
Hope this helps others with similar slow working LR-2.
Adrian

Tklimek

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 10:24:16 am »

Dave....funny you should mention that.  I had a similar weird thing happen.

If I right-click (PC) on an image in the filmstrip, delete, remove from disk, it will take way longer than I would expect for such a simple operation.  However, if I click on the image in the main viewing area (let's say in loupe mode) the delete happens at normal speed (pretty quickly).  This has fairly easy to reproduce.  Anyone else see this same exact specific "odd" behaviour?

Cheers.....

Todd in Chicago

Thanks for the suggestion.  At the present time I am more inclined to remove LR2!  If I remove LR1, will it leave the catalog? 
I have done some testing with task manager.   When a add a key word, Task manager shows two LR programs running, both non responding.  CPU usage goes up to >80%.  After about 25 seconds, CPU usage goes down, only one of the LR programs is present and it says it is running!
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217541\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up