Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert LR2 tutorial for AppleTV/iPhone/iTouch  (Read 33828 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Convert LR2 tutorial for AppleTV/iPhone/iTouch
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 08:02:17 pm »

Never mind, I just checked and I don't have the HD version after all...thought I did but I have the regular version and it's still taking much longer than my LL video journal files.  I'm trying out Digital Hub and even that is moving very very very slow (and I have a very fast Mac).  Any other suggestions about how to speed up this process of iPhone conversion? Seems this shouldn't be this difficult. Thanks, Eleanor

I also would like an estimate about time required to convert to iphone format.  I converted some LL video journals with no problem using Quicktime.  However when it comes to Lightroom 2.0 tutorials in HD, it was impossible....even the smallest of some of the segments would take many hours at the pace it was converting--.  Just how much faster is visual hub?  Or maybe i should purchase the non HD version of LR2.0 and convert those (I thought I saw a non HD version so correct me if I'm wrong). 

I'm on a Mac dual quad core with 8 gb of ram.  Thanks, Eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 10:33:21 am »

I completed some encoding tests using a 1 minute segment taken from the LR2 Tutorial.
I output to both Apple TV (H264) and iPhone. The difference in encoding times for each of the two formats in all cases was close enough not to warrant reporting.

My machine is a Mac dual core 2.66Ghz used with no other significant processes going on while encoding.

Settings were all either Standard or middle of the road without adjustments

Recommendations:

- Use the SD version and VisualHub for the _fastest_ results

1 minute took 20 seconds to encode. Visual results were dark but  'acceptable'
Ratio 3:1

======

- Use the HD version and MPEG StreamClip for the _best looking_ results

1 minute took 10 minutes to encode. Visual results were excellent.
Ratio 1:10

======

- Do not use QuickTime Pro and the HD version (EDIT: on a Mac - see next post). The encoding takes far too long: approximately 1:18

N.B. Your mileage _will_ vary
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:45:37 am by Chrissand »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 10:40:04 am »

Just a note - those results are ONLY for a Mac.

Quicktime Pro on my PC gave 100% perfect results, with a 1:4.6 time ratio.  The 6.5 hour series completed in 30 hours.

HD version, Core 2 Duo @ 3.6GHz
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:40:30 am by kaelaria »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 10:43:52 am »

Quicktime Pro on my PC gave 100% perfect results
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Go figure...

vandevanterSH

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 01:12:09 pm »

Chrissand why not provide a Apple TV version...one conversion vs many people spending hours of computer resources.  Makes sense to  me at least.

Steve

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 02:07:41 pm »

Chrissand why not provide a Apple TV version...one conversion vs many people spending hours of computer resources.  Makes sense to  me at least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And how much would you be willing to pay for the service? You aren't expecting it for free are you?

vandevanterSH

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 03:11:48 pm »

And how much would you be willing to pay for the service? You aren't expecting it for free are you?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216976\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course not!!!  I don't know how pricing is determined but I would  say full price for stand alone Apple TV version and an additional 1/3(?) 1/2(?) of full price if included in a package of High Def + Apple TV.

Steve

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 03:57:39 pm »

why not provide a Apple TV version...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There are already two versions which some people find confusing. Confusion will multiply exponentially with further versions. And it is so easy to do and costs nothing  - even if it is going to be somewhat lengthy...

Reminder: the tutorial is over seven and a half hours of HD material - it's going to take a long time! My suggestion is to follow Kaelaria's advice above...

Chris Sanderson

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 04:04:21 pm »

My suggestion is to follow Kaelaria's advice above...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Go figure ...  

vandevanterSH

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 04:07:28 pm »

There are already two versions which some people find confusing. Confusion will multiply exponentially with further versions. And it is so easy to do and costs nothing  - even if it is going to be somewhat lengthy...

Reminder: the tutorial is over seven and a half hours of HD material - it's going to take a long time! My suggestion is to follow Kaelaria's advice above...

Chris Sanderson
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1:10 conversion of the HD on a Mac..I guess I'll stay with the "hard wired" solution.

Steve

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 11:36:45 pm »

I just have  the regular version and am getting a time estimate of nearly 4 hours to convert to iPhone using Visual Hub on the LR2 Develop/new tools segment.   I'm reasonably computer savvy but this has got me stumped on the huge times I'm getting.  I've left my computer running over night with visual hub only to find it locked up in the morning because it said it couldn't find some component to segment 4 of LR2 tutorial.  I wish this were as easy as it is for Chris.  eleanor

1:10 conversion of the HD on a Mac..I guess I'll stay with the "hard wired" solution.

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

vandevanterSH

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 12:04:49 am »

I just have  the regular version and am getting a time estimate of nearly 4 hours to convert to iPhone using Visual Hub on the LR2 Develop/new tools segment.   I'm reasonably computer savvy but this has got me stumped on the huge times I'm getting.  I've left my computer running over night with visual hub only to find it locked up in the morning because it said it couldn't find some component to segment 4 of LR2 tutorial.  I wish this were as easy as it is for Chris.  eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am not very computer savy but when I tried to convert my HD version and saw how slow it was..I quit.  I would be more than happy to pay a additional $15-$20 over the cost of the HD version for an Apple TV version.   I usually watch on my Cinema HD 30 but the girlfriend likes to watch Michael and Jeff on the 62" Sony at the end of the bed.  (Jeff is her favorite).

Steve

gerk

• http://
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 01:00:32 am »

I just have  the regular version and am getting a time estimate of nearly 4 hours to convert to iPhone using Visual Hub on the LR2 Develop/new tools segment.   I'm reasonably computer savvy but this has got me stumped on the huge times I'm getting.  I've left my computer running over night with visual hub only to find it locked up in the morning because it said it couldn't find some component to segment 4 of LR2 tutorial.  I wish this were as easy as it is for Chris.  eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try going into the Advanced Settings button and then setting the "force to use ffmpeg" option .. it should drastically reduce your rendering time.

snow099

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 09:24:58 pm »

I know one software that can help youConvert DVD to iTouchand other poratble devices not only for Windows but also Mac.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up