Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR2 Video - Why Brightness instead of Exposure?  (Read 1912 times)

mikeearly

LR2 Video - Why Brightness instead of Exposure?
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:47:46 pm »

In the video on LR2, why did you opt to use brightness instead of exposure when you were using the gradient tool to darken the skies.  One would normally think of a gradient filter in terms of exposure differences .... I realize it doesn't have to be that way but that is the way they are typically marketed.   Is there an advantage to the image quality in using brightness instead of exposure?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:38:59 pm »

Brightness moves the midpoint of an image (after Exposure and Blacks are set) so if you want to darken a midtone Brightness would be the more proper tool. Exposure would also darken midtones, but do so at the expense of highlights.

mikeearly

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 02:13:14 pm »

... Exposure would also darken midtones, but do so at the expense of highlights.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Jeff.  I noticed in the video that really stayed away from using the exposure adjustment whenever possible -- including your "really exposed to the right" image.  I am assuming that this is for the same reason since an exposure adjustment would have done more than what you wanted for that image.....

Tklimek

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:31:48 pm »

Mike...

This was an excellent question and thanks to Dr. Schewe for answering.

I have to really say these videos are good; I usually need to watch them more than once through (I must be dense!).

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

BTW....we had some NASTY storms roll through here on Monday night and I managed to get a few snaps of some lightning.  I was really impressed with what LR was able to do with some images that were....um.....exposed a little too far to the right!  I think I was inspired by Jeff's shot of the falls which was almost a "white" frame in the video!  ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up