Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about www.shadesofpaper.com  (Read 6677 times)

Cartman

Question about www.shadesofpaper.com
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:52:02 am »

I'm neither trying to stir up trouble nor trying to give a vendor free advertising, but I have to ask...

Today my wife spoke with Sarah Newman at shadesofpaper.com and I got that "too good to be true" feeling one gets when they see a 993 Porsche, mint, on ebay for $5,000.

My wife tells me Sarah was out-of-her-way nice, helpful, and all that, but the prices quoted for a printer pretty much had me falling out of my chair.

I've never purchased here and before I did I just wanted a little reassurance that despite how unbelievable everything sounded, they are on the up and up and everything will be delivered as promised at the price quoted with no tricks or surprises.

Thanks in advance for quick responses.

P.S. feel free to PM me if more appropriate.

colinm

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:14:12 am »

Canon really, really wants to move the imagePROGRAF printers. They've been undercutting themselves hand over fist since the initial models were released, trying to steal market share from Epson.

The end result is that their preferred vendors have a lot of wiggle room, allowing the kinds of pricing you probably got from SoP.
Colin

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:46:54 am »

I used to use SOP for Innova papers back when I used Epson printers.

Once I got the HP z3100, my customers who used to like some of the Innova watercolor papers now all much prefer HP Litho paper, as do I, so unfortunately I'm not a regular customer anymore. I really have no need and no customer requests to veer away from any non-HP paper so far.

SOP is an excellent vendor, although I only purchased paper.

Maybe we need a thread specifically dedicated to advertising / promos / deals as some of the threads of late read more like advertisements.

Just my 2 cents.

Cartman

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:24:55 am »

Maybe we need a thread specifically dedicated to advertising / promos / deals as some of the threads of late read more like advertisements.

Just my 2 cents.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I was worried someone was going to say something like that.

I really didn't see a way around it.

If I were to have said something like "this SOP place quoted crazy-low prices, are they a scam?"  A half dozen people would have jumped on yelling at me for suggesting a great vendor is crooked.  So I am polite and I'm sure there are a dozen people who think I'm shilling for SOP.  Given two equally bad alternatives, I opted for polite.

And it is good to know the prices and vendor are legit, a big thank you to the both of you for the info.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:09:02 am »

Shades of Paper is on the up and up.  You'll find Jim Doyle, the owner, participating in these forums and sharing his knowledge and experiences.  They're good folks.  Yes, I have purchased from them and consider myself a satisfied customer.
Regards,
Ron

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:51:19 am »

SOP is highly reputable. Sarah knows her stuff. Jim Doyle is passionate about paper. Their customer service is excellent and their prices are competitive.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:06:40 am »

SOP is great. They are taking a high-volume, low profit margin approach to move as much volume as possible and swing deals with manufacturers. As mentioned above Canon is being particularly competitive (the 44" 8100 printer for less than $3000 is crazy!). That kind of thing either gives a reseller a great opportunity to make a good profit on a sale or, in SOP's case, get new customers in the door. Their deals (and other's deals) are for real but the consumer is the real winner here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:39:02 pm by Onsight »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:56:41 am »

I'll add my support of Shdes of Paper.  Excellent company! Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:25 pm »

I met Jim at one of my shows and he is an extremely nice guy. Over the last year I've purchased an Epson 4880, replacement ink and endless Crane museo silver rag paper from him and the service I received was beyond first class. I wish everyone did business the way he does.

sabatia

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:13:13 am »

Adding my small voice: I bought my ipf5000 in an incredible deal with SOP and have ocassionally purchased paper and other supplies since. I am a very satisfied customer. Very reliable and professional.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:33:49 pm »

Vendors don't get this kind of constant public support for no reason. Jim has been incredibly supportive of myself and several other people I highly respect in this community. Everyone there has been great to work with, otherwise Jim would not make them part of SOP. I also know Sara from her days at Inkjet Mall, and she's a great addition.
Jim has made it obvious to everyone what an important part good vendors play in all of this.
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 05:07:34 pm »

I'll add my endorsement to SOP - Jim's a great guy to deal with, and if there are ever any honest mistakes in an order they are immediately rectified. You can shop there with total confidence.

DJ
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 12:33:45 pm »

Hey Jimmy, your ears burning yet?    

Seriously, SOP's the best!

Bill

I'm neither trying to stir up trouble nor trying to give a vendor free advertising, but I have to ask...

Today my wife spoke with Sarah Newman at shadesofpaper.com and I got that "too good to be true" feeling one gets when they see a 993 Porsche, mint, on ebay for $5,000.

My wife tells me Sarah was out-of-her-way nice, helpful, and all that, but the prices quoted for a printer pretty much had me falling out of my chair.

I've never purchased here and before I did I just wanted a little reassurance that despite how unbelievable everything sounded, they are on the up and up and everything will be delivered as promised at the price quoted with no tricks or surprises.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213331\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

Harrzack

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:39:33 pm »

I live about nine miles from the Shades of Paper facility near Cherry Hill, NJ. I've stopped in a few times and made a few purchase, and YES - they are just as friendly and "real" as they appear.  A small, tight operation doing business mostly on the web.

Jim Doyle, the Main Man - busy busy fielding phone calls and questions from the help in the back was able to give a GENEROUS amount of time to help with my newbie-printer questions. AND on top of that gave a really nice price on some paper since I came in as local.

All in all - you can't go wrong with these folks.  Standard disclaimer: No affiliation with SOP - just a happy (if low volume!) customer.

=Alan R.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213331\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

cyberworldsinc

• http://www.jackjohnsonphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 11:46:37 am »

Count me in as one more very satisfied customer of SoP - I just purchased a Canon IPF5100 from them, and Jim Doyle went way above and beyond with customer service. He's kept in touch after the sale, too. I wish every vendor I dealt with was this good!

- Jack Johnson
Jack Johnson
[url=http://www.jackjohnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up