Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life Beyond  (Read 3114 times)

Rob C

Life Beyond
« on: August 05, 2008, 04:00:17 pm »

Couldn´t resit boasting, though I´ll probably regret it tomorrow:

one grand-daughter has just passed her five A-Levels!

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Life Beyond
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:12:45 pm »

Congrats!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Richowens

Life Beyond
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:19:09 pm »

Rob,

Give her a big "attagirl" for me.  

You have a Grandfather's right to boast. It comes with the territory.

Rich

Ray

Life Beyond
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:14:38 pm »

Couldn´t resit boasting, though I´ll probably regret it tomorrow:

one grand-daughter has just passed her five A-Levels!

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob,
You've done very well. You've made a living in a difficult trade like photography and are passing on part of your version of the human gnome.

When I was at school in the U.K. many years ago, 3 A-levels were considered good. Two were the minimum for university entrance. 5 is exceptional.

DarkPenguin

Life Beyond
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:38:36 pm »

I have no idea what that means but it sounds good.  Congrats, Rob.

Rob C

Life Beyond
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:48:26 am »

Hi folks

Thanks for the congrats, which she (grand-daughter) has just been forced to admire!

It´s all a little bitter-sweet, to tell the truth: she, her sister and mother came out to Spain on a surprise visit for ten days and yesterday was their departure date, back home to Scotland. However, two days ago her sister picked up an ear infection, probably from a pool, and went to the doctor. From there, she developed severe stomach pains and vomiting so we took her to another emergency unit yesterday, which sent her off to the larger hospital for the district with suspected appendicitis, where she remains today. The latest we heard is that it probably isn´t appendix, but a swollen gland in the groin area, part of the ear problem, infact. We await.

Ray - the A-Levels. She goes to school in Scotland, and the system is a little different there: it seems that what is called A-Levels in England is different in that they are taken a year later and is slightly more difficult than the Scottish Highers, which is the exam she has just been notified that she passed - next year she has the option of university or Sixth Year Advanced Studies, which result in Advanced Highers which are higher than the English A-Levels. As she´s just 16 she has opted for the further school year (thank God for the respite!) and Uni will follow the year after that. Trouble is, she is one of those very bright kids who consider themselves failures if they clock under 100%; as her Dad ´phoned the exam news from home, she doesn´t know her actual marks yet...

Great news - just got a message that the other kid has been discharged and am off to pick them up!

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:48:48 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up