Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: backup for digital back  (Read 18365 times)

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
backup for digital back
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:31 pm »

I have a 1Ds3 and after reading Michael's report, I decided to give the XSi a try.  When he said he couldn't tell a difference without looking at the EXIF, it really makes me wonder how he was comparing the files.  I saw a huge difference.  The XSi was quicker to blow-out a sky and shadows were very gritty.

If the XSi file is taken more or less "as is" and not pushed around too much in post, it's probably okay as a back-up camera.  I sold the XSi and picked up a 40D.  In comparison to the XSi, the 40D doesn't have the same level of pixel sharpness, but the 40D's files are cleaner (than the XSi).  High ISO looks better on the 40D too.  The 40D is easier to use due to its two control dials, slightly larger viewfinder and rubberized body.

Overall, I think I agree with consensus here that the 5D would be the best choice.  Assuming you find a mint condition used one for ~$1500 or so, it's pretty hard to knock it at that price point.  The XSi's biggest advantage is its very compact size.

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 07:00:42 pm »

I have a 1Ds3 and after reading Michael's report, I decided to give the XSi a try.  When he said he couldn't tell a difference without looking at the EXIF, it really makes me wonder how he was comparing the files.  I saw a huge difference.  The XSi was quicker to blow-out a sky and shadows were very gritty.

If the XSi file is taken more or less "as is" and not pushed around too much in post, it's probably okay as a back-up camera.  I sold the XSi and picked up a 40D.  In comparison to the XSi, the 40D doesn't have the same level of pixel sharpness, but the 40D's files are cleaner (than the XSi).  High ISO looks better on the 40D too.  The 40D is easier to use due to its two control dials, slightly larger viewfinder and rubberized body.

Overall, I think I agree with consensus here that the 5D would be the best choice.  Assuming you find a mint condition used one for ~$1500 or so, it's pretty hard to knock it at that price point.  The XSi's biggest advantage is its very compact size.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213282\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm, interesting, why would you pick the 5D over the 40D?

douglasf13

backup for digital back
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 07:50:36 pm »

I have a P21 back and I do have a spare Mamiya body but I don't want to spend out on a spare back so I was thinking of getting a 5D as a backup camera. I remembered a review of Michaels saying he thought the 40D was as good as the 5D and it seems the 450D is as good as the 40D and therefore also the 5D, with regards to IQ that is. Maybe the 450D is the perfect if a little unexpected, backup camera? Am I missing something or can I get away with saving a bunch of cashola?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may consider the upcoming Sony A900.  24MP and Zeiss lenses with AF

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
backup for digital back
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 08:05:35 pm »

Hey, don't you believe michael when he says that he can't distinguish between the 1ds mark 3 and the 450D/XSi?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a trick question

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
backup for digital back
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 11:53:34 pm »

Hmm, interesting, why would you pick the 5D over the 40D?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213284\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bigger sensor, slightly larger files to work with (helpful since youll probably crop to around 4:3)

and a brighter larger viewfinder.

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 06:36:51 am »

Bigger sensor, slightly larger files to work with (helpful since youll probably crop to around 4:3)

and a brighter larger viewfinder.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bigger sensor is only useful if it creates better images and thats what I'm trying to figure out. 0.7 extra megapixels doesn't help me that much. Cropping out the edge of the frame thereby losing the worst bit of a lens does though. Brighter larger viewfinder is nice.

eronald

backup for digital back
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 08:03:01 am »

Bigger sensor is only useful if it creates better images and thats what I'm trying to figure out. 0.7 extra megapixels doesn't help me that much. Cropping out the edge of the frame thereby losing the worst bit of a lens does though. Brighter larger viewfinder is nice.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, if you need DOF at low ISO, eg groups,  I think you might benefit from one of the smaller sensors.
The 40D might be the right compromise for marriage photographers.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 08:12:02 am »

Actually, if you need DOF at low ISO, eg groups,  I think you might benefit from one of the smaller sensors.
The 40D might be the right compromise for marriage photographers.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or the 450D?

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
backup for digital back
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 10:37:03 am »

I have a P21 back and I do have a spare Mamiya body but I don't want to spend out on a spare back so I was thinking of getting a 5D as a backup camera. I remembered a review of Michaels saying he thought the 40D was as good as the 5D and it seems the 450D is as good as the 40D and therefore also the 5D, with regards to IQ that is. Maybe the 450D is the perfect if a little unexpected, backup camera? Am I missing something or can I get away with saving a bunch of cashola?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Obviously the best backup for a digital back is another digital back, if your trying to match the look of sharpness and the same color response.

A lot of people won't do this for cost, or useability.

The Canons are great cameras though matching a p21 to a Canon under most circumstances takes a lot of post work.  Maybe it's the AA filter but it does look different, not bad or wrong, just different.

The closest I've seen to match my phase backs is the Lecia, probably because it has a Kodak sensor and doesn't have an AA filter, though obviously it is a much different camera and it doesn't go to high iso very well as anything over 250 starts to get challanged, much like the backs.

Maybe I'm the only person that would like a higher iso back, but I believe there is a big hole in the market for the 5d of digital backs, something like a p21 that goes to 1000 iso.

Even if it's native response started at 400, you could always add nd's in a pinch, but a 400 to 1000 iso back would make that investment more than just something that sits in the case for emergencies only.  It would make spending another 10 to 12k worthwhile.

Given all of this there is probably more 5D's in camera bags as backups as any camera.

JR
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:44:09 am by James R Russell »

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
backup for digital back
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2008, 11:52:43 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I prefer working with longer lenses.  What works with 50mm on FF requires a 35mm lens on a 1.6x body.  Assuming we normalize the FOV, the 35mm lens will have more DOF and less compression.  So given a choice, I prefer the larger sensor and the added control over DOF.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
backup for digital back
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2008, 12:57:35 pm »

How about considering just a standard P series back as a back up?  A standard P20 with a one year warranty is only $6,990.00 and the P21 is $7,990.00.  Take a look at our web site and you can see that even the P25 & P30 @ $12,990.00 and the P45 @ $14,990.00 are all good options for a secondary DB.

http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/promotions/

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

eronald

backup for digital back
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2008, 01:04:33 pm »

How about considering just a standard P series back as a back up?  A standard P20 with a one year warranty is only $6,990.00 and the P21 is $7,990.00.  Take a look at our web site and you can see that even the P25 & P30 @ $12,990.00 and the P45 @ $14,990.00 are all good options for a secondary DB.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213439\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As always, helpful information comes from Atlanta.
These guys understand the problem exactly and suggest a solution.
I wonder why the DB guys don't name their Atlanta dealers marketing VPs.

But - I would suggest these guys throw in a spare old body with those deals. That would completely address the backup issue.

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:12:32 pm by eronald »

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2008, 01:19:32 pm »

Thanks, not really in the market for spending 8 grand on a just in case back though.

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
backup for digital back
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 05:41:43 pm »

Thanks, not really in the market for spending 8 grand on a just in case back though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
But then a 5D and a few decent lenses will cost that easily...
Andrew
 ht

BJL

backup for digital back
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 05:49:54 pm »

I prefer working with longer lenses.  What works with 50mm on FF requires a 35mm lens on a 1.6x body.  Assuming we normalize the FOV, the 35mm lens will have more DOF and less compression.  [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Once again no: with those equal FOV focal lengths, one would be working at the same subject distance, and then compression will be the same. Compression is a function of camera position (subject distance) alone.

Streetshooter

backup for digital back
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 06:03:13 pm »

How about considering just a standard P series back as a back up?  A standard P20 with a one year warranty is only $6,990.00 and the P21 is $7,990.00.  Take a look at our web site and you can see that even the P25 & P30 @ $12,990.00 and the P45 @ $14,990.00 are all good options for a secondary DB.

http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/promotions/
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213439\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris,

Are these prices only for USA residents ?

Best

Pete

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2008, 06:23:12 pm »

But then a 5D and a few decent lenses will cost that easily...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213503\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

450D with a 17-40mm F4 is only about 1300 dollars.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
backup for digital back
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2008, 02:32:03 am »

Compression is a function of camera position (subject distance) alone.
Perhaps, but larger sensors allow you to get closer to your subject and still get it all in. The closer you are, the more compression.

John

grabshot

• http://www.ianwatts.co.uk
backup for digital back
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2008, 03:14:26 am »

Rather than keep speculating about it here, why not just buy a 450D and see what it's like? If it's not up to snuff sell it on ebay or give it to your niece. I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about (unless it's to continually make a point about how little your clients care about what camera you use?).

ixpressraf

backup for digital back
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2008, 05:41:17 am »

Maybe we can conclude that the eos450d is a digital camera you could use in an emergancy when your back stops working. it can't be called a back-up since a back-up should have roughly the same spacs as the original. It certainly is a total different camera delivering totally different images, but at least in case of a problem you can keep on shooting.
I myself have always had more then one back: one very recent and a couple of older, 16 and even 6Mp back's. They are inexpensive but nice to use. Most packshot work on the Sinar P2 is done with a 6Mp ( sometimes in multishot). A 16Mp ixpress is backing up the H3dII.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up