Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: backup for digital back  (Read 18372 times)

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2008, 06:19:55 am »

Rather than keep speculating about it here, why not just buy a 450D and see what it's like? If it's not up to snuff sell it on ebay or give it to your niece. I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about (unless it's to continually make a point about how little your clients care about what camera you use?).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Keep making the point because people keep saying my client won't like it.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
backup for digital back
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2008, 10:29:21 am »

Obviously the best backup for a digital back is another digital back, if your trying to match the look of sharpness and the same color response.

A lot of people won't do this for cost, or useability.

The Canons are great cameras though matching a p21 to a Canon under most circumstances takes a lot of post work.  Maybe it's the AA filter but it does look different, not bad or wrong, just different.

The closest I've seen to match my phase backs is the Lecia, probably because it has a Kodak sensor and doesn't have an AA filter, though obviously it is a much different camera and it doesn't go to high iso very well as anything over 250 starts to get challanged, much like the backs.

SNIP

Given all of this there is probably more 5D's in camera bags as backups as any camera.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213402\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well said James, and I agree 100%. Your 3rd point is why I no longer own a 5D. Your 4th point is why my current MF back-up camera is my Leica M8. Not only that, an M8 body, spare batteries, cards and three lenses only takes up two lens compartments in my MF bag!    

The other item I usually have nearby is a film back and a few rolls of film...

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:33:21 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

httivals

backup for digital back
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2008, 10:38:05 am »

Why wouldn't you use a cropped sensor?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The viewfinder on the 400 xti drove me crazy.  Also your lens choice is more limited with the 1.6x format.  Canon 5D is a much better value, better quality, better viewfinder and better lenses.

Ray

backup for digital back
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2008, 12:18:08 pm »

It is a worry, isn't it? All these camera reviews available for free on the internet, yet so much indecision as to which camera to buy for a specific purpose.

I hope I'm not responsible for sowing seeds of doubt in Woof75's mind, regarding the superiority of the P21 compared with FF 35mm.  

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2008, 12:24:44 pm »

It is a worry, isn't it? All these camera reviews available for free on the internet, yet so much indecision as to which camera to buy for a specific purpose.

I hope I'm not responsible for sowing seeds of doubt in Woof75's mind, regarding the superiority of the P21 compared with FF 35mm. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213673\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No doubt in my mind Ray. Simply covering my ass in case my back goes down in a place where I can't get a rental one quick.

Ray

backup for digital back
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2008, 12:45:07 pm »

No doubt in my mind Ray. Simply covering my ass in case my back goes down in a place where I can't get a rental one quick.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good! Then you should appreciate that the reasons why the P21 is better than the FF 35mm are very similar to the reasons why FF 35mm is better than APS-C 450D, excluding the AA issue.

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2008, 12:45:58 pm »

Good! Then you should appreciate that the reasons why the P21 is better than the FF 35mm are very similar to the reasons why FF 35mm is better than APS-C 450D, excluding the AA issue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213678\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How boring. (and predictable)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:46:19 pm by woof75 »

Ray

backup for digital back
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2008, 01:05:34 pm »

How boring. (and predictable)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then you are the troll.

Henry Goh

backup for digital back
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2008, 08:21:42 pm »

If one is shooting MFDB for a living, then I would think any back-up strategy will have to be dependent on a similar platform i.e. another MFDB albeit of slightly lower resolution if cost prohibits.  If the back-up system is so far off in terms of technical capability then would it not mean that the photog does not really need that MFDB in the first place?

Ray

backup for digital back
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2008, 11:59:32 pm »

If one is shooting MFDB for a living, then I would think any back-up strategy will have to be dependent on a similar platform i.e. another MFDB albeit of slightly lower resolution if cost prohibits.  If the back-up system is so far off in terms of technical capability then would it not mean that the photog does not really need that MFDB in the first place?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213763\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. I think you are right.

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
backup for digital back
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2008, 03:11:50 am »

i´d get a nikon d700, it supplements the mfdb more than it replaces it. it has good high iso, fast frame rate, fast autofocus, live view,  smaller and it might get 99% of the jobs done should your mfdb fail. you can have zoom lenses, fast primes and some pc lenses for it, 35mm has longer and wider lenses. it would give you more options, a mfdb is not always the right tool for every job.
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2008, 06:36:20 am »

i´d get a nikon d700, it supplements the mfdb more than it replaces it. it has good high iso, fast frame rate, fast autofocus, live view,  smaller and it might get 99% of the jobs done should your mfdb fail. you can have zoom lenses, fast primes and some pc lenses for it, 35mm has longer and wider lenses. it would give you more options, a mfdb is not always the right tool for every job.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you see the test charts though the 450D is actually if anything a little better than the 700D at 100 ISO which is what I use. I pretty much only use a 28mm (35mm equivalent) lens so ranges of lenses arent' important, I'll just use the 17-40m F4 zoom.
With regard to having MF backup for MF, I do have a back up MF body as they do often go down but the chances of a phase back going down are miniscule, however it can happen and you need to cover yourself if it does. I have used the 5D and although I prefer the look of my DB, a client would be hard pushed to tell a difference so I would feel o.k. using one in a worst case situation.
I tell a difference but it really isn't a big one.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
backup for digital back
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2008, 11:26:06 am »

If the back-up system is so far off in terms of technical capability then would it not mean that the photog does not really need that MFDB in the first place?
I think it just means that the photog doesn't have or wish to invest an extra $15,000 to $30,000 for a complete  backup system. I can think of many other similarly priced investments that offer greater ROI than a backup MF set up. It's all a matter of making things work in a world of limited resources.

Back in the not so old days, I had two MF bodies and a bunch of film backs. I bought a kit with both bodies for a couple of grand. That's a far cry from today where you practically have to spend the down payment on a house to get a MF backup. On the other hand, small format digital has come a long way and it's something I need to have regardless. Although I'd prefer to have MF as a backup, small format can and will work if I need it to.

John

woof75

backup for digital back
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2008, 01:42:10 pm »

So I got the 450D today and so begineth the trials and tribulations, starting with, (drumroll) backfocus. About 1 inch off of the correct place at a distance of 30 inches. (about that) I guess i'll get another body, another lens and compare them all and see if I can come up with a working camera And lens combo.  Lucky I live close to B & H eh?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up