Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 450D as backup?  (Read 6463 times)

woof75

canon 450D as backup?
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:50:10 pm »

I was thinking of getting a 5d as a backup to my phase back but I see that Michael thinks the 40D is as good as the 5D and it seems to me looking at tests that the 450D is as good as the 40D image quality wise. Am I missing something here or would a 450D be as good image quality as the 5D for a fraction of the price and weight?

ARD

• http://
canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:31:24 am »

I was thinking of getting a 5d as a backup to my phase back but I see that Michael thinks the 40D is as good as the 5D and it seems to me looking at tests that the 450D is as good as the 40D image quality wise. Am I missing something here or would a 450D be as good image quality as the 5D for a fraction of the price and weight?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Image quality would be about the same, but the 5D is full frame, whereas the 40d and 450d have a 1.6x crop factor

lovell

• http://
canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:57:38 pm »

Better enlargements and slightly lower noise means the 5D is the way to go, not to mention true mm field of view with your lenses.
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

woof75

canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:02:29 pm »

Better enlargements and slightly lower noise means the 5D is the way to go, not to mention true mm field of view with your lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214824\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too late, got a 450D matched with the 18-55m F4 it's every bit a match for the 5D with 24-70. Slightly, slightly more noise, unnoticeable in 11*14 prints and a much better screen, live view, better battery, lighter. Not bad for a 675 dollar body. I guess it is a newer technology which does count for a lot in digital.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:03:01 pm by woof75 »

kvanlear

canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 07:44:55 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My first post here.  I had a 40D.  I have a 5D and a 450D.  I rank them as follows in terms of IQ:

5D
450D
40D

The 450D is damned good.  The 5D is a touch better.  The 40D is decent.

DarkPenguin

canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:00:12 pm »

My first post here.  I had a 40D.  I have a 5D and a 450D.  I rank them as follows in terms of IQ:

5D
450D
40D

The 450D is damned good.  The 5D is a touch better.  The 40D is decent.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not arguing your results, but how did you judge the IQ?

woof75

canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 09:44:23 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nothing fancier than taking pictures, printing them out and comparing them to similar pictures in similar lighting I shot with a 5D, compared them to a range of pictures I shot with my phase back. Nothing too technical, just got a general feel, I find that works best for me. It's funny, the more you pixel peep the more likely you are to miss the bigger picture I find. To be honest, there is only one difference thats fairly easy to see to me is the look of canons and the look of backs, which canon, the 1ds mark 2, the 5d or 450D are all virtually impossible to tell apart.

kvanlear

canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:05:06 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Took pictures of the same subjects with a 24-70 f/2.8L and compared them.  Leaves on trees, hair on a subject's head (my daughter).  The 5D still beats the 450D and 40D.  Others may come up with different conclusions of course.  It's not like these cameras are miles apart though.  You do have to look closely at the shots.  They're close enough that exposure variation can make you wonder if you're seeing things (or making up what you want to see).  Still, my eye tends to prefer pictures from the 5D most, XSi second and 40D last.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:07:32 pm by kvanlear »

woof75

canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:33:30 pm »

Took pictures of the same subjects with a 24-70 f/2.8L and compared them.  Leaves on trees, hair on a subject's head (my daughter).  The 5D still beats the 450D and 40D.  Others may come up with different conclusions of course.  It's not like these cameras are miles apart though.  You do have to look closely at the shots.  They're close enough that exposure variation can make you wonder if you're seeing things (or making up what you want to see).  Still, my eye tends to prefer pictures from the 5D most, XSi second and 40D last.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What part of the image characteristic do you prefer on the 5d?

kvanlear

canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 03:50:31 am »

What part of the image characteristic do you prefer on the 5d?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216684\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 5D still puts out a sharper image than the 40D or XSi.  It appears able to resolve a hair more detail.  I can see more veins in the leaves of a tree from the 5D images.  Although I must admit that between the 5D and the XSi I get a bit cross-eyed in the review because it's tough to see the difference.  The bigger difference between those two is the quality in higher ISO and the 5D definitely takes the prize in that comparison.  

There's still a 3D look to those 5D images that isn't there as strongly in the APS-C camera shots too, although that's probably just a DOF difference.  When I put these feeling into words however and I read them back it makes the cameras sound like they are further apart than they are.  It's still quite possible that what I saw was partially subjective and there are inevitable variations in exposure that can make a shots looks different enough so that it can be hard to tell about the differences in detail.  These three cameras really are very close imagewise and one should not feel disadvantaged by owning one as opposed to one of the others.

The one thing that made me choose the XSi and 5D combo and sell the 40D was that I took the 40D out on several treks and shot landscapes with it and just never got much that I was happy with.  While some of my best work is from the 5D and lately I've shot some satisfying landscapes with the XSi as well as some great sports shots too, despite the claustrophobic buffer and shutter firing that feels like it's moving through molasses.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:52:06 am by kvanlear »

woof75

canon 450D as backup?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 01:17:11 pm »

The 5D still puts out a sharper image than the 40D or XSi.  It appears able to resolve a hair more detail.  I can see more veins in the leaves of a tree from the 5D images.  Although I must admit that between the 5D and the XSi I get a bit cross-eyed in the review because it's tough to see the difference.  The bigger difference between those two is the quality in higher ISO and the 5D definitely takes the prize in that comparison. 

There's still a 3D look to those 5D images that isn't there as strongly in the APS-C camera shots too, although that's probably just a DOF difference.  When I put these feeling into words however and I read them back it makes the cameras sound like they are further apart than they are.  It's still quite possible that what I saw was partially subjective and there are inevitable variations in exposure that can make a shots looks different enough so that it can be hard to tell about the differences in detail.  These three cameras really are very close imagewise and one should not feel disadvantaged by owning one as opposed to one of the others.

The one thing that made me choose the XSi and 5D combo and sell the 40D was that I took the 40D out on several treks and shot landscapes with it and just never got much that I was happy with.  While some of my best work is from the 5D and lately I've shot some satisfying landscapes with the XSi as well as some great sports shots too, despite the claustrophobic buffer and shutter firing that feels like it's moving through molasses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I've looked through the quite a few 5D and 450D images and gone round in circles, your right about high ISO being better on the 5D, at low ISO though I figure I've worked out A is better than B and then the next image shows otherwise. There certainly very, very similar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up