Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge sort  (Read 6051 times)

ruraltrekker

Bridge sort
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:44:58 pm »

OK, how do you get Bridge to sort by shot time? My problem is working with two 1Ds cameras the images are scattered. I would like to have the images in sequence as they are shot, regardless of which body was used. The time to manually sort the images is killing me.

Is there a way to do this that I am missing?

Ken

01af

Bridge sort
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:01:46 am »

Umm ... what's wrong with View > Sort? Works fine for me. Don't forget to synchronize the cameras' clocks before starting to shoot.

-- Olaf
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:02:19 am by 01af »

ruraltrekker

Bridge sort
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:42:14 pm »

Umm ... what's wrong with View > Sort? Works fine for me. Don't forget to synchronize the cameras' clocks before starting to shoot.

-- Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope.

Camera clocks were synced.

The closets option under sort is date taken. Believe me I tried everything. I guess no one has thought that a photographer may use two cameras.

Ken

Michael Bailey

Bridge sort
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:06:30 pm »

You've touched on one of my biggest beefs with Bridge. The Metadata tab will tell you the time a shot was taken, but the program won't let you sort by that information. I still don't understand where those "Date Created" dates come from.

I've used a few different workarounds. One is to open the folder in some other program and use it to get them in order. Examples: Raw Developer and others will allow you to batch rename so that every file's name consists of the time shot (e.g. 080806-12-59-33). Then, if you want, you can use Bridge to rename back to something more suitable. Also, Breezebrowser will quickly reach into the metadata of all your photos and change the "Date Created" time to reflect the actual shot time. (By the way, Breezebrowser will do this even for many non-Canon files.) Then you can sort in Bridge the way you thought you'd be able to in the first place.

Hope this helps.

MB
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:11:33 pm by Michael Bailey »

01af

Bridge sort
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

Nope.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213223\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The Metadata tab will tell you the time a shot was taken, but the program won't let you sort by that information.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Huh? Are you nuts? Simply hit View > Sort > Date Taken, and Bridge will sort all the images in the current folder after the date taken within a blink of the eye. I am shooting two identical cameras, so I often need the images from both cameras merged and then sorted by date taken. It used to work fine in Bridge 1.0, and it also works just fine with Bridge CS3. Where's the problem?

-- Olaf

Michael Bailey

Bridge sort
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »

No, I don't believe I am nuts, but thank you for asking.

My copy of Bridge CS-3 is like the previous versions in that it doesn't actually have a "Date Taken" sort option. It allows me to sort by "Date Created", which is not the same thing. One camera I used marked all of the files with a Date Created some time in 1903. This was in spite of the fact that the Shot Date was correct.

I will confess that it's been several months since I've shot with two identical cameras, so improvements might have been made in camera firmware or Bridge itself which would make the Date Created setting mean something. But it seems from the original post that the writer's problem was the same one I had.

You'll be interested to know that I have checked this out with several of the voices in my head, and they all agree with me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:38:43 pm by Michael Bailey »

ruraltrekker

Bridge sort
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:22:06 pm »

Huh? Are you nuts? Simply hit View > Sort > Date Taken, and Bridge will sort all the images in the current folder after the date taken within a blink of the eye. I am shooting two identical cameras, so I often need the images from both cameras merged and then sorted by date taken. It used to work fine in Bridge 1.0, and it also works just fine with Bridge CS3. Where's the problem?

-- Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

no, I am not nuts

two cameras with clocks with a minute of each other get scattered & have to be manually sorted to get them in shoot order

thanks for calling me nut

ken

01af

Bridge sort
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 09:03:30 pm »

My copy of Bridge CS3 is like the previous versions in that it doesn't actually have a "Date Taken" sort option. It allows me to sort by "Date Created" ...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Oops ... same here. Sorry, the menu item is not called "Date Taken" but "By Date created".

... which is not the same thing.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For digital captures, date taken conceptually and practically is exactly the same as date created. For film frames that got scanned later, these two dates will differ.

What you and me are calling "date taken" is called "Date Created" in Bridge. The other thing is called "Date File Created" in Bridge. Finally, there also is "Date File Modified". You cannot sort by Date File Created but by Date Created and Date File Modified. So sorting by Date Created will do exactly what you want. Unless your camera screws up the metadata.

One camera I used marked all of the files with a Date Created some time in 1903. This was in spite of the fact that the Shot Date was correct.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So you are blaming Bridge for your camera's fault?

... so improvements might have been made in camera firmware or Bridge itself which would make the Date Created setting mean something.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No improvements have been made lately concerning sorting because there's no improvement required. Bridge will just sort perfectly by date taken when hitting "View > Sort > By Date created". If it doesn't work for you then obviously something is screwed up ... either with your camera or with your software installation. In the latter case, resetting Bridge's preferences may help---this will fix weird problems surprisingly often (albeit not always; particularly not when the problem is located elsewhere).

Two cameras with clocks with a minute of each other ...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
In other words, they were not synchronized. Great.

... get scattered & have to be manually sorted to get them in shoot order.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I repeat: Make sure the cameras' clocks are synchronized before you start shooting. That means they must be within one or two seconds of each other. Otherwise you'll get errors in the sort order from the non-matching clocks and then you'll have to fix them manually after the fact---which can be a tedious chore to do, depending on how often and how quickly you were switching cameras.

-- Olaf

ruraltrekker

Bridge sort
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:13:17 am »

In other words, they were not synchronized. Great.
I repeat: Make sure the cameras' clocks are synchronized before you start shooting. That means they must be within one or two seconds of each other. Otherwise you'll get errors in the sort order from the non-matching clocks and then you'll have to fix them manually after the fact---which can be a tedious chore to do, depending on how often and how quickly you were switching cameras.

-- Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214175\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well Olaf you must think I am an idiot. Cameras are with in the minute of each other and it takes my assistant time to hand/trade cameras with me and since I am using a differnt focal length it takes me time to compose a new shot. All this is way longer than a minute yet the images are scattered. I don't know why but it happened. Bridge gets me sometimes, mostly shutting down (but at least now with a message saying so).

I'm done.

Ken

Michael Bailey

Bridge sort
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 02:34:04 pm »

Okay, I'll try to make this clearer.

I believe Ruraltrekker and I have experienced the same problem. Whether it's our fault, Bridge's fault, or the camera's fault, the fact is that I, at least, encountered the difficulty he describes. This lasted over the life of my Fuji S-2's, and at least two versions of Bridge. The Bridge metadata accurately showed the time of exposure under "Date Time", but "Date Created" was not a usable sort category. I will add that I synchronized the time settings on the cameras precisely by linking them to the computer, and then verifying them later on.

If others have been able to use "Sort...By Date Created" without any trouble, I'm glad. But I had to use other programs, as I suggested earlier, to work around the problem.

My beef with Bridge is only a small one, and something which might be out of Adobe's hands anyway. That is: If "Date Time" or "Date Time Digitized" is the truest indication of when the shutter was snapped, wouldn't one of those two be the better category by which to sort? In all the digital cameras I've owned (now up to seven, in four different brands, I'm embarrassed to say) "Date Time" and "Date Time Digitized" were the two categories that always told me accurately when a photo was taken.
Pages: [1]   Go Up