Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutter Release Vibration on Tripod  (Read 8245 times)

Rob C

Shutter Release Vibration on Tripod
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 07:32:12 am »

People have been extrapolating the existance of god(s) everytime they have been faced with something beyond their comprehension. It started with thunder and lighting, became the origin of the species and now it has been moved back to 'before' the big-bang. It will never end. Newest justification is 'shutter release vibration'.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213861\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nikos, don´t be so harsh: you had some of the best darn gods of all! Where would we be without Aphrodite?

Rob C

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 07:39:33 am »

Ah! those were strange gods. Could do just as much good or evil as people can
Nikos

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 09:20:58 am »

I´m happy to ride with the ´don´t know´ troupe on this one - for me, it´s at least an honest stance, not to say that your beliefs are not, just that they are different but hardly conclusive.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213856\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Proving that something (like an omnipotent God who listens to human prayers) does not exist is impossible. Estimating the probability that such a thing exists is possible. I think that it is very difficult to maintain that there is a God in the face of the evidence that the probability is miniscule.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 10:41:55 pm »

Strange how posts can drift... oh well, here's my 2cents worth:
I thinks it's a bit like photography in that if you approach it only with your intellect you are probably destined to fail. All the images I have that please me most have been taken with my whole being. There is something in them that is deeply satisfying. Uh, but this doesn't happen that often  . Similarly if you are going to approach that which is Spirit you may need to do it with your own spirit. Not that you leave your intellect behind, it's just not enough for All That Is.
BTW, dwdallam, I've had some odd weird vibration problems with a carbon fibre tripod when shooting on a wooden floor. If in doubt I now hang my backpack from a hook screwed into the tripod head and also put a beanbag on top of the camera. Confoundedly inconvenient but every shot with this set up has been sharp.
Cheers, David

BruceHouston

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 03:22:59 am »

Dwdallam,

In my experience the IS functionality on the 70-200L IS makes a considerable difference in compensating for the sort of vibrations that you describe.

My Canon 70-200 f/4L IS manual suggests turning off IS when using a tripod but enabling IS when using a monopod or a tripod with only two legs extended.  This instructions appears to assume that a tripod-mounted configuration is perfectly stable, which of course is nonsense.  I have also read forum suggestions that leaving IS on with a tripod-mounted shooting configuration can cause problems.

I do not believe that the gyro-based IS system in the lens "knows" whether camera shake is a result of your trembling hands or tripod vibrations.  (I am not absolutely sure of this, because a different time constant may be associated with the two causes of camera shake.)  In my experience, though, as I said, IS appears to be just as effective in both cases.

In fact, the 70-200 with x1.4 converter on my 40D (x1.6 factor), mounted on my Gitzo 2540, is so unstable while focusing using live view at x10 magnification that I can hardly focus the jumping image unless I press the shutter release half-way to engage IS.  Then the image settles down to a remarkable degree.  (Actually, the image settles "up.")  If you are using a non-IS 70-200, I would trade it for an IS version as soon as possible.  The difference in image stability for long-lens landscape work is well worth the price difference.

Another question is your method of shutter release.  I no longer bother with the remote shutter release.  I use the two-second timer instead, and find that the two seconds is more than enough time for the vibrations caused by manually pressing the shutter to dampen.  (Obviously, manually pressing the shutter release without the timer will not fly at these focal lengths.)

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 06:09:28 am »

Dwdallam,

I use the two-second timer instead, and find that the two seconds is more than enough time for the vibrations caused by manually pressing the shutter to dampen.  (Obviously, manually pressing the shutter release without the timer will not fly at these focal lengths.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bruce, I used the same technique on my F4s when I had it, but the trouble then was that Sod´s Law managed to bring on the breezes just after the release was pressed, more often than not. I found, in the end, that the electronic cable release used with m/u was the best way with non-people subjects: your eyes will tell you when the world has settled down long enough to expose and on the basis that the shutter is going to jerk regardless of what you do before you tigger it, you just have to live with that slight degree of movement and you have at least factored out the mirror input. Unless you have a Pentax 67 ll, in which case you can never win because the shutter is as bad as the mirror. My experience, sadly and expensively.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 06:28:32 am »

Strange how posts can drift... oh well, here's my 2cents worth:
I thinks it's a bit like photography in that if you approach it only with your intellect you are probably destined to fail. All the images I have that please me most have been taken with my whole being. There is something in them that is deeply satisfying. Uh, but this doesn't happen that often  . Similarly if you are going to approach that which is Spirit you may need to do it with your own spirit. Not that you leave your intellect behind, it's just not enough for All That Is.
BTW, dwdallam, I've had some odd weird vibration problems with a carbon fibre tripod when shooting on a wooden floor. If in doubt I now hang my backpack from a hook screwed into the tripod head and also put a beanbag on top of the camera. Confoundedly inconvenient but every shot with this set up has been sharp.
Cheers, David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214022\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, we do tend to fly in and out of photographic focus now and then, and that is what makes this site so interesting for me. Also, it is quite revealing of some of us posters and helps to create or encourage a closer sort of bond. I´m all for it.

There is no argument with what you say about dealing with the spiritual with the spirit. There is no other way forward towards an understanding of it and that is not to deny others the right to deny what they simply refuse to accept. I can´t see electricty, nor have I any idea of the colour of gravity, but I do see their effects in a manner similar to the way in which I see and feel the effects of beauty, goodness and evil. If I am able to accept the existance of one abstract why should I deny the possibility of another, just because it might seem a little off the main drag? What is known today would have been denied or mocked as witchcraft or just deemed impossible but some few generations ago - mobile ´phones, for example? Beam me up, Scotty!

So, on the level of the metaphysical, who can be so sure about anything?

Rob C

BruceHouston

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 03:39:43 am »

Bruce, I used the same technique on my F4s when I had it, but the trouble then was that Sod´s Law managed to bring on the breezes just after the release was pressed, more often than not. I found, in the end, that the electronic cable release used with m/u was the best way with non-people subjects: your eyes will tell you when the world has settled down long enough to expose and on the basis that the shutter is going to jerk regardless of what you do before you tigger it, you just have to live with that slight degree of movement and you have at least factored out the mirror input. Unless you have a Pentax 67 ll, in which case you can never win because the shutter is as bad as the mirror. My experience, sadly and expensively.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is a good point, Rob.  I have experienced that problem using the 2-second timer.  The tree leaves were not moving when I pressed the shutter release to take my three-shot bracketed sequence...  So, it appeas to boil down to convenience vs. overcoming Sod's law.  I find it such a pain to plug in the electronic release through the RRS bracket each time I set up the tripod...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up