Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Phenomena II after upgrades  (Read 1286 times)

silverhalide

• http://www.stardustgrafik@mac.com
Strange Phenomena II after upgrades
« on: August 03, 2008, 11:40:51 am »

This is a post I have had in the "Managing Megabytes" forum for several days with no takers. As the work station is probably more related to possible realities encountered on this thread,
 which is the main thread I read & occasionally post on. I am going to try to figure out filling in the biography which hopefully allows a link to my just about ready to change web site. I feel I might know a couple of the people on this thread . . .

Sincerely, Michael Dickey

the post:

Dear People,
I recently went through a number of changes to my Mac G4, dual 1 ghz in anticipation of upgrading an ImagePrint RIP & improving the performance of PhotoShop - specifically opening large files (248mg), saving, saving as, copying, etc. The other night after shutting everything down I returned to the studio which still had the lights off, and the monitor light was pulsing off and on. I went over to the CPU and pressed the power button and it would not start up. I waited and eventually the light ceased pulsing. The CPU then fired up. The monitor is the original 22-23" Apple cinema display which is plugged into the CPU. I closed the door and hoped this was one of those self-curing computer quirks. The next night I watched and the same thing happened. The light pulses in a loose cycle with intervals between, and eventually stops after about 30-45 minutes. Should I leave the computer on all the time (hard drive & monitor asleep), or does the flashing light foretell of some future disaster?

Changes I had made & at the moment it is running very well:

- changed original scsi hard drive to 15,000k MAU series Fujitsu HD
- installed latest firmware to ATTO UL3D video card
- fresh, latest copy of OSX3.9.9 (I had asked John at ColorByte several months ago if 3.9.9 would run ImagePrint and it does!)
- installed Sonnet firewire card - ports on CPU had become "flaky" and the card solved the problem
- installed ImagePrint 7 to drive Epson 7880
- PhotoShopCS
- Silverfast Ai to run Nikon 9000 scanner (which should put speed into percpective)
Pages: [1]   Go Up