Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: L-L Lighroom 2.0 video and smart collections  (Read 11285 times)

mboerma

• http://
L-L Lighroom 2.0 video and smart collections
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:31:55 am »

In part 3 of the video tutorial Jeff talks about the "Smart Collections". He indicates that LR2.0 comes with a couple of default smart collections and shows them (for example Recently Modified, Five Starts, Treatment-Color, etc.).

In my version of LR2.0 I don't have the predefined smart collections. Can I download them somewhere? Or is there something missing from my installation (Mac, 10.5.4, PPC).

Thanks for the great video tutorials!

Maarten
MaartenBoermaPhotography

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:36:43 am »

You can create a Smart Collection by right/control clicking on the 'Smart Collections' title, choose 'Create Smart Collection...' and then choosing the parameters of what is effectively a saved search.
Chris

mboerma

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:39:26 am »

You can create a Smart Collection by right/control clicking on the 'Smart Collections' title, choose 'Create Smart Collection...' and then choosing the parameters of what is effectively a saved search.
Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Chris. I did this when I couldn't find presets. I was just wondering if I was missing something or if there is an error in the tutorial.

Muir

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:47:30 pm »

Thanks, Chris. I did this when I couldn't find presets. I was just wondering if I was missing something or if there is an error in the tutorial.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you figure out how to create the "recently modified" smart collection?  I think I must have a mental block or something as I cannot see how to do that to get only those things that have been edited in this session.

Muir

mikeearly

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:36:55 pm »

When I installed LR2 - it installed the following folders as part of Smart Collections --- Colored Red, Five Stars, Past Month, Recently Modified and Without Keywords.....

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 03:27:22 pm »

Did you figure out how to create the "recently modified" smart collection?  I think I must have a mental block or something as I cannot see how to do that to get only those things that have been edited in this session.

Muir
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Look for the 'Edit Date' parameter using either Edit or Create Smart Collection command and then set the parameters of what you consider 'Recently Modified'

Muir

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:29:55 pm »

Look for the 'Edit Date' parameter using either Edit or Create Smart Collection command and then set the parameters of what you consider 'Recently Modified'
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213469\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris,
thanks - I'll try that.
Muir

mboerma

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:03:27 am »

It's quite easy to create them yourself, but I found it strange that some people seam the get them when they installed LR2 and I didn't.  But hey, now I tried and know how to do it myself   and I've seen the list of possibilities.

I wonder how much processor time it costs to generate them each time something changes in the library. In other words, is it smart to have a lot of smart collections?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 08:12:10 am »

Not certain of the answer to that, but my guess is that a Smart Collection doesn't initiate a CPU click until you open one - as in 'Find all 5 Star...' or 'Find files changed in the past 2 days...'

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 01:21:16 pm »

Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Doesn't seem to work? Where do i find the parameters? I see them in the preferences but not in the left library panel.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:22:16 pm by BFoto »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 07:09:26 pm »

Follow my instructions and you will find them as the dialog to Edit or Create a Smart Collection....

HDProman

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 12:43:47 am »

[attachment=7917:attachment]I see default smart collections in Lightroom presets, I just do not have any default smart collections showing in Lightroom 2. Why....

seanmcfoto

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 04:10:06 pm »

[attachment=7917:attachment]I see default smart collections in Lightroom presets, I just do not have any default smart collections showing in Lightroom 2. Why....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214943\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you have 'Store Presets with Catalog' enabled in the Presets Tab of Preferences? Having this on can hide presets when you've changed to a different catalog.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

HDProman

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:30:52 pm »

Do you have 'Store Presets with Catalog' enabled in the Presets Tab of Preferences? Having this on can hide presets when you've changed to a different catalog.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you for responding….
“Store Presets with Catalog” is not enabled.
I have created several develop and slideshow presets and see the associated file in the Lightroom presets folders. I created a smart collection preset for recently modified and saved as “Recently Modified by Floyd” A search for *.lrtemplate reveals the five included smart collection presets in the appropriate folder and any templates I have created and saved, however I can not find and template named “Recently Modified by Floyd”.
I have posted this question on four different forums and received basically the same answer from everyone.
“I don’t know why you can’t see the included smart collection templates; however it is very easy to create you own”.
Using the included templates is not important. I want to know why they do not load into Lightroom and why can I find all my custom presets except the custom smart collections created by me.
“Inquiring Mines Want To Know”
Pages: [1]   Go Up