Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 1d mark III Low ISO  (Read 3459 times)

michaelnotar

canon 1d mark III Low ISO
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:58:54 am »

i recall using low iso on previous 1 series canon digital cameras and hearing if not experiencing lower dynamic range, contrast etc and am curious to know if this is still the same on the mark III series.

ejmartin

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:12:22 am »

i recall using low iso on previous 1 series canon digital cameras and hearing if not experiencing lower dynamic range, contrast etc and am curious to know if this is still the same on the mark III series.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212699\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes dynamic range is about the same at ISO 200 as it is at ISO 100, because of increased electronic noise.  However, S/N ratio and therefore image quality will be higher throughout that range at ISO 100.  The Mk 3 series is over 1/2 stop more efficient in light collection than the Mk2 series (the 1D2/2n had remarkably inefficient sensors) at any ISO.
emil

michaelnotar

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:34:38 am »

interesting, i was refering to the L iso setting or iso 50, basically as i heard an iso 100 processed darker (as was the case with the 1ds mark 1)

francois

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:56:50 am »

interesting, i was refering to the L iso setting or iso 50, basically as i heard an iso 100 processed darker (as was the case with the 1ds mark 1)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I believe that this is still the case for MK3 cameras. 50 ISO and 3200 ISO (for the 1Ds3, higher for the 1D3) are accessed via ISO expansion.
Francois

ejmartin

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:18 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I recall correctly, with ISO 50 on the 1D2 the sensor saturated well before the maximum raw level (around 1/2 stop give or take) and so one had less highlight headroom above metered middle grey.  The camera does however collect twice as man photons per raw level.  At ISO 100 on the 1D3 the sensor already saturates a little early (well under 1/3 stop), and so ISO 50 is just ISO 100 overexposed by a stop with correspondingly less highlight headroom, with no more photons being collected per raw level at the ISO 50 setting.  So the 1D2 has ISO 50, with a bit less headroom, and the 1D3 has no true ISO 50, just ISO 100 overexposed by a stop.

One can argue however that this is a good thing -- it means that the 1D3 sensor is about twice as efficient at collecting photons.  Both have about the same full well capacity in terms of electrons, but the 1D3 reaches it at ISO 100 while the 1D2 needs ISO 50 and therefore a longer exposure time to fill up its photosites.  This means that, for a given exposure and ISO, the 1D3 will be collecting more photons and therefore have a higher S/N ratio and correspondingly better image quality.  If you need ISO 50, use a ND filter -- it's much easier to throw away photons that you don't want, than to recapture the ones you do want but the camera couldn't capture.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:51:03 am by ejmartin »
emil

michaelnotar

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 02:33:58 pm »

by chance is the related to to the image count a card can hold? i noticed on the 1ds mark 2 and 1d mark 2, it gets the most images at iso 200, and less at 100-L iso and 250+. vs the mark 3, my 1dmark 3 is the only one i have seems to zero at iso 100, getting less shots at all higher isos and L. thats the way it should be i believe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up