Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR2 Open in Photoshop  (Read 2309 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
LR2 Open in Photoshop
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:55:24 pm »

I've just installed (and registered!) LR2. All is fine except that "edit in photoshop" has stopped working. I don't get the usual dialog (well, usual from LR1) asking me what I want to edit.

If PS isn't running, it gets launched but doesn't open the file; if it's already running, nothing happens at all: PS doesn't even come to the front.

In LR's preferences, I have it set to send a 16-bit TIFF, uncompressed, ProPhoto space, but changing that doesn't help.

I've tried deleting LR2's preferences file, but it makes no difference. It works perfectly well from within LR1.4.

Intel Mac, 10.5.4, CS3.

Help!

Jeremy

picnic

LR2 Open in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 03:27:44 pm »

I've just installed (and registered!) LR2. All is fine except that "edit in photoshop" has stopped working. I don't get the usual dialog (well, usual from LR1) asking me what I want to edit.

If PS isn't running, it gets launched but doesn't open the file; if it's already running, nothing happens at all: PS doesn't even come to the front.

In LR's preferences, I have it set to send a 16-bit TIFF, uncompressed, ProPhoto space, but changing that doesn't help.

I've tried deleting LR2's preferences file, but it makes no difference. It works perfectly well from within LR1.4.

Intel Mac, 10.5.4, CS3.

Help!

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeremy,

If you go to the Adobe Lightroom forum you will find a lot of these posts.  I'm on a PC, so don't know if this workaround will work on a Mac, but set up your preferences for the second graphic editor to be PSCS3 and use that.  It will work just like 1.4.  They (Adobe) knows its a bug--and this was the suggested thing for now.  

When I would right click and select PSCS3 I, too, didn't get a dialog box but CS3 would open and I could work on the file--but when I saved, it saved in the right folder as a tiff--but to get it back to LR 2.0 I had to import it.  This is with XP Pro.  On my Vista laptop I do get a dialog box but only to open in CS3--not any of the other choices (smart filter, Photomerge, etc.)--and now I can't remember if it would save the tiff or not (I don't use it for processing).  Seems to me some said it worked with new folders and not old, but that didn't seem to make a difference for me.

Hope this helps.  If I were you, I'd check out the Adobe LIghtroom forum for anything particular to Macs.

Diane

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
LR2 Open in Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 03:52:10 pm »

Jeremy,

If you go to the Adobe Lightroom forum you will find a lot of these posts.  I'm on a PC, so don't know if this workaround will work on a Mac, but set up your preferences for the second graphic editor to be PSCS3 and use that.  It will work just like 1.4.  They (Adobe) knows its a bug--and this was the suggested thing for now. 

When I would right click and select PSCS3 I, too, didn't get a dialog box but CS3 would open and I could work on the file--but when I saved, it saved in the right folder as a tiff--but to get it back to LR 2.0 I had to import it.  This is with XP Pro.  On my Vista laptop I do get a dialog box but only to open in CS3--not any of the other choices (smart filter, Photomerge, etc.)--and now I can't remember if it would save the tiff or not (I don't use it for processing).  Seems to me some said it worked with new folders and not old, but that didn't seem to make a difference for me.

Hope this helps.  If I were you, I'd check out the Adobe LIghtroom forum for anything particular to Macs.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212614\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. I've tried that. It works, but of course all I can do with the "second" version of PS3 is to edit the file. I can't do any of the new, clever things that LR2 has introduced and that I was looking forward to doing: merge to panorama, merge to hdr and so on, since they are only available for PS3 and continue not to work.

I've even tried re-installing PS3. Curiously, that solved the problem until I installed the updates released since I bought the DVD (including CR4.5), at which point I find myself back where I was.

For $160, I'd have expected two Adobe products to work with each other! It's very shoddy.

I'll have a look in the LR forum, if I can find it.

Jeremy

picnic

LR2 Open in Photoshop
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:29:06 pm »

Thanks. I've tried that. It works, but of course all I can do with the "second" version of PS3 is to edit the file. I can't do any of the new, clever things that LR2 has introduced and that I was looking forward to doing: merge to panorama, merge to hdr and so on, since they are only available for PS3 and continue not to work.

I've even tried re-installing PS3. Curiously, that solved the problem until I installed the updates released since I bought the DVD (including CR4.5), at which point I find myself back where I was.

For $160, I'd have expected two Adobe products to work with each other! It's very shoddy.

I'll have a look in the LR forum, if I can find it.

Jeremy
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeremy, they do say its a bug and I can only assume they are working as fast as possible to correct it.  I'd look for a 2.1 soon.  I don't think you will find much more than I told you---that's about the size of it--a bug they missed--obviously--and are working to correct.  You might find something relevant to the Mac, but it appears that its the same for both Mac and Win.

The forum is here (you just go to adobe, LR and forums.)
[a href=\"http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc2cf0a/]http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc2cf0a/[/url]

Diane

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
LR2 Open in Photoshop
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 03:02:12 am »

Jeremy, they do say its a bug and I can only assume they are working as fast as possible to correct it.  I'd look for a 2.1 soon.  I don't think you will find much more than I told you---that's about the size of it--a bug they missed--obviously--and are working to correct.  You might find something relevant to the Mac, but it appears that its the same for both Mac and Win.

The forum is here (you just go to adobe, LR and forums.)
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc2cf0a/

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212672\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks again.

I re-reinstalled PS and, for some bizarre reason, this seems to have solved the problem generally.

I also discovered that one reason I was having problems (and this reason is clearly a bug and does still persist) is that I had an apostrophe in the name of the enclosing folder. It was called st john's: i renamed it sjc and all is now well.

Wonderful things, computers. Deterministic? Ha!

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up