Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ireland  (Read 4307 times)

alangubbay

Ireland
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:41:14 pm »

I am planning to visit Ireland in September for 8 days or so.  Although my present knowledge of the country extends to little more than Bing Crosby's song about Galway Bay, I think the West coast is the area to aim for.  Can anyone suggest perhaps 2 sites at which to stay in relative comfort that would give access to the most interesting locations for photography?  Possibly a nearby golf course would keep my wife busy.

Alan

adamdbates

• http://www.shutterspeedtravel.com/
Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:10:21 pm »

Ardara is in the wilds of Donegal and even thought I am from Belfast is my fav place in Ireland if not the world.  Lots of pubs, beaches and the sea.  

Great guest house i know is run by a French man and has unbelievable views

http://thegreengate.eu/

Adam

I am planning to visit Ireland in September for 8 days or so.  Although my present knowledge of the country extends to little more than Bing Crosby's song about Galway Bay, I think the West coast is the area to aim for.  Can anyone suggest perhaps 2 sites at which to stay in relative comfort that would give access to the most interesting locations for photography?  Possibly a nearby golf course would keep my wife busy.

Alan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Richard Morwood

Ireland
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:41:16 pm »

Love Connemara, West Ireland. Very much "picture postcard Ireland". Fantastic beaches and great views of the 12 Bens mountain range. Clifden is a good place to stay although I am sure there are many others.
South West corner has more fantastic beaches, bays, mountains and pubs, cottages, people.......etc. Schull is a fairly central and accessible place to stay. I have had a couple of great holidays here and Connemara and IMHO they are definitely worth visiting. Photographically they both have lots to offer.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Richard

Keith_Fitz

Ireland
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:05:38 pm »

Often forgotten about...county Waterford. Great coastline and the Comeragh mountains have some gorgeous views and mountain lakes.
links
 http://homepage.mac.com/keith.fitzgerald/portfolio/
 www.coppercoastworkshops.com

Kathy

Ireland
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:55 pm »

I am planning to visit Ireland in September for 8 days or so.  Although my present knowledge of the country extends to little more than Bing Crosby's song about Galway Bay, I think the West coast is the area to aim for.  Can anyone suggest perhaps 2 sites at which to stay in relative comfort that would give access to the most interesting locations for photography?  Possibly a nearby golf course would keep my wife busy.

Alan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Alan

September is a good time to visit Ireland and the west coast is in my opinion the best part of it. Staying just 8 days limiting yourself to two locations is good as you will be travelling mainly on slow country roads to get to the best landscapes. You could even spend all your time in one location. Do take good waterproof gear for yourself and your camera as the west coast does have periods of heavy rain even in summer. My favourite locations are as follows:-

Kerry - it's all great but with limited time I would concentrate on the lakes and mountains around Killarney. Then to the coast, the whole South Kerry coast is wonderfull but do take in Kenmare, Waterville and the Dingle Peninsula. If you have time and the weather is OK take a boat trip out to the Blasket isles. Also take the road across the Dingle Peninsula from Dingle to Kilcummin over the Connar Pass, spectacular views especially at sunset. Great seafood and Irish music in Dingle. Also great golf courses in Killarney, Tralee and Ballybunion has (they say) the best links course in the world.

Clare - use the car ferry from Tarbert to Killimer to cross from Kerry to Clare. The Cliffs of Moher and the Burren are both worth a short visit, but the unique flora of the Burren will not be in bloom in September.

Galway - for a taste of Irish city life Galway City has a lot to offer. Connemare offers great scenery both coastal and inland, just explore the little roads down to the little fishing villages. Cliften is a good location for accomodation. A visit to Connemara National Park is worthwhile if you are prepared to take the walk to the top of the hill, the views are stunning. Inland the lakes Lough Mask amd Lough Corrib are very pretty.

Mayo - Westport offers a good choice of accomodation, resturants and music. Clew Bay is said to have an island for every day in the year. I have been there twice and both times the Bay was shrouded in mist. If you want cliff scenery and long golden beaches then Achill Island (connected to the mainland by bridge) has some of the best. There are some great walks one taking in a deserted village offering some great photo opportunities.

Have a good trip.
Kathy

viswan

Ireland
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:25:21 am »

Hi Alan:

I second Kathy's suggestions!  I love the Burren meself, and a good central place to stay is Ballyvaughan, from their you can go south to Kerry and Dingle, or north to Galway & Connemarra.  My favorite is the Aran Islands, easy to get to from the Burren, - especially Inisheer, or Inishman for the Olde Eire experience!  
[attachment=7782:attachment]
Many of my photos are on Facebook and Fl

alangubbay

Ireland
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:41:27 am »

Hi Alan:

I second Kathy's suggestions!  I love the Burren meself, and a good central place to stay is Ballyvaughan, from their you can go south to Kerry and Dingle, or north to Galway & Connemarra.  My favorite is the Aran Islands, easy to get to from the Burren, - especially Inisheer, or Inishman for the Olde Eire experience! 
[attachment=7782:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adam, Richard, Keith, Kathy and Viswan,  
Thank you so much for all your very helpful responses and suggestions.  I now have a much better idea where to head for.  With all best wishes.

Alan

DonWeston

Ireland
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:03 am »

Alan - hope you enjoy  the trip as much as I did 4 yrs ago to western Ireland. Spent 10 great days shooting with a bunch of friends, and would love to go back. Have a pint of Guiness for all of us who would like to return.....Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up