Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR2 Question For Jeff Schewe  (Read 3723 times)

Mort54

• http://
LR2 Question For Jeff Schewe
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:51:25 am »

Hi Jeff. Is there any reason that LR2 might run slower on OS X 10.4 vs 10.5? Maybe something with the fact that LR2 is now a 64-bit app, and maybe 10.4 is not optimal for 64-bit (just speculating).

Love the app and all the new features, but on my Mac Pro (3 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.4), LR2 definitely runs slower than 1.4.1 did. So far I've only used it enough to notice the slowdown in the user interface. For example, when I click between modules, there is a noticeable delay before the new module panels appear. I also now get the spinning beachball on occasion - I never ever got that before. Opening images seems about the same.

I know I should post this to Adobe support, but I thought I'd check here first to see if there's anything obvious I'm missing.

I'm assuming that the LR2 install will keep the same preferences as the previous installation, e.g. memory allocated to the app, etc. Is that true. Something for me to check tonight, but maybe you already know the answer.

Mort.

P.S. most of the people who responded to my earlier thread on this subject reported LR2 actually felt faster to them, but I believe all of them mentioned they were running OS X 10.5, so that's why my initial focus is on OS/LR interactions as a possible explanation for what I'm seeing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:54:53 am by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Mort54

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:18:16 pm »

Anybody???? I'm getting a little desperate. In addition to the annoying slowdown I'm seeing with my Nikon files (annoying but livable) that I reported on in my first post, I've now tried LR 2 on some of my Phase One P45+ files. A total disaster. As far as I'm concerned, LR 2 is totally unuseable with my P45+ files. LR 1.4.1 was very very fast on my P45+ files, and my favorite app for processing Phase One files.

I posted another thread in the Medium Format forum. I'm pasting it below in the hopes that this will get a response from somebody here. Jeff? Michael? Help :-)

###### Pasted From Medium Format Forum ######

I've just run some P45+ files thru LR 2.0 for the first time - what a disaster. I've always loved the way LR 1.4.1 handled my P45+ files. I liked the results I got, and the application was very fast. But with version 2.0, it's a whole other story. It now takes 15 to 30 seconds to open a file. Under 1.4.1, it took 2 or 3 seconds. Once the file is open, I can no longer click with the cursor to zoom in to 100% - a shortcut I use all the time. Everything happens in slow motion. I get the spinning beach ball (Mac system) roughly 50% of the time. For me, LR 2.0 is totally unusable with my P45+ files. Has anyone else seen a major slowdown using LR 2?

I'm running on a quad core Mac Pro, running at 3 Ghz, with 4 GB of RAM. I'm running OS X 10.4.11. I first noticed an annoying slowdown with my Nikon NEF files, but it was still useable. But with the Phase files, things have gotten pathetic. Adobe, what have you done to my favorite app?

I've asked about the slowdown of LR 2 on other forums, but haven't really gotten a definitive answer. When I saw the slow down with my Nikon files, I started to suspect that LR2 doesn't play well on OS X 10.4. Others who were running it on 10.5 reported that LR2 seemed faster on their machines.

Does anyone have any insight into what's going on? Jeff? Michael? Anybody? I'm not really a fan of Capture One and I don't wan't to abandon LR for my P45+ files, but as things stand now, LR 2 is just totally unusable.

P.S. I've optimized my library. That seemed to help a little bit - at least my zoom cursor is working again. Things are still agonizingly slow, tho slightly better than before (if that makes sense). I checked memory usage. LR 2 is using 801 MB of real memory, and 1282 MB of virtual memory. That seems pretty high, even given it's processing P45+ files. I have my LR 2 cache size to 1.5 GB, and the app is reporting a memory cache size of 455 MB. Previews are NOT being generated at the time I'm seeing this slowdown (when previews are beging generated, I might as well just go make coffee, because the app basically becomes non-responsive).

P.P.S. For anyone who replies, could you indicate whether you see a speedup or slowdown with LR2, which OS you are using, how much RAM you have in your machine, and what you have your LR 2 cache set to (it's under Lightroom -> Preferences -> File Handling .... in the box at the bottom of the dialog).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:27:40 pm by Mort54 »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:40:54 pm »

Hi Jeff. Is there any reason that LR2 might run slower on OS X 10.4 vs 10.5?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212328\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uh yeah...Lightroom under 10.4.1 can't actually run as a 64 bit app. It takes Leopard to take advantage of the 64 bit libraries... so right there would be a potentially big difference in performance. Course, I've been running Leopard for about a year and don't have a machine with 10.4.x on it any more.

Mort54

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:47:02 pm »

Uh yeah...Lightroom under 10.4.1 can't actually run as a 64 bit app. It takes Leopard to take advantage of the 64 bit libraries... so right there would be a potentially big difference in performance. Course, I've been running Leopard for about a year and don't have a machine with 10.4.x on it any more.
Thank you so much, Jeff. I've been debating upgrading to 10.5. I think it's time. I'll report the results.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 10:14:25 pm »

I am running on 10.5.x with six gigs and I get the spinning wheel of doom a lot more than I did with 1.4.1.  I just ordered 4 more gigs..I see if it makes any difference.  (Default for 2.0 is 32 bit)

Steve

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 06:18:53 pm »

I am running on 10.5.x with six gigs and I get the spinning wheel of doom a lot more than I did with 1.4.1.  I just ordered 4 more gigs..I see if it makes any difference.  (Default for 2.0 is 32 bit)

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm on 10.5.4 with 8 Gigs, running 2.0 in 64-bit mode. There are definitely more "program quit unexpectedly"'s than with 1.4. I've sent the error reports to Apple via their automated reporting thingy, but I've a feeling it would be better to send them to Adobe. Unfortunately, I don't know how.

Mike

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:56:49 pm »

I'm running on a Quad Core Mac/8 gb ram/ 64 bit Lightroom 2.0/ 1DsIII and Phase P45+ files...all runs fairly smoothly tho I notice a slow down in Lightroom when I'm trying to work on a file at the same time exporting another file.  Have had a few (very few) Lightroom crashes, but not many.  There is also a slowdown with the processor intensive new tools---brush, gradient, etc. but that is to be expected.  All in all, mine is running fairly well with occasional slowdowns that I wouldn't necessarily expect. Eleanor

I'm on 10.5.4 with 8 Gigs, running 2.0 in 64-bit mode. There are definitely more "program quit unexpectedly"'s than with 1.4. I've sent the error reports to Apple via their automated reporting thingy, but I've a feeling it would be better to send them to Adobe. Unfortunately, I don't know how.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

eleanorbrown

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 06:58:03 pm »

I'm running on a Quad Core Mac/8 gb ram/ 64 bit Lightroom 2.0/ 1DsIII and Phase P45+ files...all runs fairly smoothly tho I notice a slow down in Lightroom when I'm trying to work on a file at the same time exporting another file.  Have had a few (very few) Lightroom crashes, but not many.  There is also a slowdown with the processor intensive new tools---brush, gradient, etc. but that is to be expected.  All in all, mine is running fairly well with occasional slowdowns that I wouldn't necessarily expect. Eleanor

Mike
Eleanor Brown

eleanorbrown

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 07:00:41 pm »

Mike
Eleanor Brown

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 08:33:37 pm »

There are definitely more "program quit unexpectedly"'s than with 1.4.

That just shouldn't be happening with ANY sort of frequency...if you do crash (or have LR quit) I sure hope you are doing the troubleshooting process of trashing the prefs and optimizing the catalog, right?

Victoria Bampton

• Lightroom Queen
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 12:47:59 am »

I've sent the error reports to Apple via their automated reporting thingy, but I've a feeling it would be better to send them to Adobe. Unfortunately, I don't know how.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you've checked the troubleshooting steps to make sure it's not just you , then here's the official form: [a href=\"http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform]Official Feature Request/Bug Report Form[/url]
Victoria
[url=http://www.lightroomqueen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up