Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cintiq vs. Eizo/NEC and Nash Editions  (Read 6633 times)

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
Cintiq vs. Eizo/NEC and Nash Editions
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:56:35 pm »

Watching the new Nash Editions dvd, it's clear that Mac Holbert uses his Wacom Cintiqj21UX as a primary tool /standard for his editing. Any ideas how the Cintiq performs (calibration, color, gamut) vs. the high end Eizo or NEC? Anyone with first (or second) hand experience with the Cintiq?

The DVD - The Dirty Dozen: Eliminating Common Imaging Mistakes - is excellent, but requires a true understanding of Photoshop /editing fundamentals. Best to follow along on your system while watching the DVD on TV... taking notes... and developing your own setting to match your own eye.

titusbear
contemplativeeye.com

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 03:22:21 pm »

I have been using the 20wsx Cintiq (widescreen version) since January 08. My primary monitor is a 20" Apple Cinema Display.

The Cintiq is a great tool that I would recommend to any graphic professional.

Wacom does not reveal a lot of information about the panels used in the Cintiq monitors. What they do state is that they use a-Si TFT active matrix panels (1680 x 1050) that have a dot pitch of .258, 16.7 million colors (8 bit), 178° viewing angle, 600:1 contrast ratio, brightness 250 cd/m2 connecting with VGA, DVI-I or DVI-D.

The monitor comes calibrated by an Xrite eye one display 2. The icc profile is included on the software disk. I have re-calibrated my Cintiq using the DataColor Spyder3 Elite.

Native whitepoint = 6500K
Gerald J Skrocki

mbalensiefer

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:35:20 pm »

Jerry,

I have used both X'Rite AND Datacolor calibrators. X-Rite's, to me, seemed to give a much better picture. Had you noticed any difference?

~Michael

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 12:00:16 am »

The Spyder3 is a totally redesigned calibrator. It has a much larger sensor, seven color detection filters that are optimized for wide gamut displays. The software gives the user ultimate control over the calibration/profiling process.
Gerald J Skrocki

mbalensiefer

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:41:16 am by mbalensiefer »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 04:24:09 am »

Jerry,

I have used both X'Rite AND Datacolor calibrators. X-Rite's, to me, seemed to give a much better picture. Had you noticed any difference?

~Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IMHO all Datacolor colorimeters are horrible, and the new Spyder3 is not any better (at least the one I saw). I'd stick with X-rite.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Ken Rahaim

• http://globaldriftersphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:44:35 am »

Any ideas how the Cintiq performs (calibration, color, gamut) vs. the high end Eizo or NEC?
I was just at a Wacom demonstration on Friday and I asked the rep this very same question. He was very frank and said the Cintiq doesn't compare to the new generation of wide gamut LCDs in terms of color critical work. For comparison's sake he didn't mention, for example, what percentage of aRGB the Cintiq's were capable of displaying (I should've asked).

Nevertheless, I'm trying to think of a way to integrate one of the 12" tablets into my work environment along with my NEC2690WUXi-SV. I currently use my NEC along with an old 17" acrylic bezel ACD.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:46:15 am by Ken Rahaim »
Ken Rahaim

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 10:53:51 am »

thanks for that information...  

titusbear
contemplativeeye.com

I was just at a Wacom demonstration on Friday and I asked the rep this very same question. He was very frank and said the Cintiq doesn't compare to the new generation of wide gamut LCDs in terms of color critical work. For comparison's sake he didn't mention, for example, what percentage of aRGB the Cintiq's were capable of displaying (I should've asked).

Nevertheless, I'm trying to think of a way to integrate one of the 12" tablets into my work environment along with my NEC2690WUXi-SV. I currently use my NEC along with an old 17" acrylic bezel ACD.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212754\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

flashfredrikson

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 03:46:11 am »

We just bought the 21" wacom for retouching and it's really nice to work with. But I found it quite hard to calibrate, compared to our eizos (210 and 211) and it is a pitty that it's not a hardware calibration. Using the Eye One Photo, I could not get a profile that I would trust totally, some strange things going on, especially in the shadows. So I will only use it for retouching but not for color critical work, which will still be done on the eizo 211. But it is a really nice addition, and it will keep my hand warm in winter :-)

cheers,
martin.

tived

• http://
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 11:09:09 am »

Still wishing for one,

but...I would have thought that you would use it as your secondary monitor...at least that would be my intentions

Henrik

PS: strange its harder to calibrate then an Eizo 210 or 211! most other monitors are!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up