Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fantastic deal on Canon ipf5100  (Read 7111 times)

Barry Butterfield

Fantastic deal on Canon ipf5100
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:48:01 pm »

Hi everyone on the printers forum,

I just wanted to let everyone know about the fantastic deal I got on a brand new Canon ipf5100 from Sarah Newman at "Shades of Paper." http://www.shadesofpaper.com/

1) There is still time if you order your printer TODAY, July 31, 2008.

2) $1,000 beans. Yep that's right, less than the cost of a new Epson 3800. No tax if you don't live in New Jersey, AND free express shipping. What could be better? Read below, it comes with 12 90ml ink cartridges. While considered a "starter" inkset compared to their standard 130ml cartridges it is still a quite generous amount of ink, probably worth around $600. So that brings the actual cost of the printer itself to $400! Wow!

Below is the note I sent to Shades of Paper, which just about says it all. The only thing I would say is that the whole "head replacement" is really a non-issue, I'll probably be ready for the next printer upgrade before that happens!

Dear Sarah,

I just wanted to let you know that I received delivery of the ipf5100 yesterday, unpacked (yikes, what a large box delivered by truck on a palette!), set-up and made a few prints!

Well, I have no idea what I am doing (yet) however the first prints
out are beautiful in their own way.

I was very pleased to discover that the starter inkset are 90ml
bottles! Better than the 65ml we had discussed and more than the Epson
3800 when full at 80ml! This leaves the ink level a little better than
1/2 full after the lines are filled, I guess this is where the 65ml
figure comes from. And on top of that a starter roll of matte paper
(16.5' x 17"). Definitely over the top, I am so excited. Of course,
none of these printers are perfect, they all have their strengths and
weaknesses. I read somewhere that the Canon heads are very expensive
to replace ($1,100 for the pair! More than I paid for this printer!)
so I am hoping that I get at least the rated 2,500ml of ink or more
from this pair. That would be about one additional set of ink over what
I now have before the rated head replacement. And of course I'll have none
of the dreaded ink clogging and ink swapping woes of Epson and no pizza wheel
woes of HP.

All in all, a better value for me as I do not envision printing at the
volume of a production studio. If I were then that whole head
replacement scenario would be a concern when compared to the Epson
printers. At the end of the day you can't win with any of these
printers except by selling prints! Then it is just the cost of doing
business. And the Canon is fast. Really fast. I can hardly believe how
quickly a 17x22 print spit out.

I chose a tight portrait of my younger son as the subject, shot with a
Canon 5D and 24-105 f4L in the late afternoon light. The colors are
vivid rich and saturated for an uncoated sheet (Canon Fine Art Enhanced
Velvet) and the gradations smooth as butter. I can probably go even bigger and
maintain the quality. But then I'll need the ipf6100 too... :-)

Now to fully delve into the land of drivers and profiles b+w etc and
find out what this baby really can do!

All the best,
--Barry

Satch

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:46:11 pm »

Uh, gee Barry, you didn't like the 4880 you also ordered from Shades of Paper on Mar 28?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lo...php/t24295.html

And why does that post sound exactly like this one?  Hmmm?

This wouldn't be a pathetically disguised ad would it, Jim?  Oh excuse me, Barry.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:47:29 pm by Satch »

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 04:16:32 pm »

Hey Satch,

So glad you noticed!

The short story, and the truth is, that because of personal reasons, unrelated to the equipment or the dealer, I ended up canceling the Epson order. Perhaps I should have posted here as much however I still thought that it was a really good deal at the time (for the Epson) so did not feel the need to let everyone know.

This time I did throw the switch and the printer is here. So now I begin, for the very first time since leaving the darkroom many years ago, to have the opportunity to make "serious" prints on an economical basis (ink consumables).

I know my post seems like a shameless plug for Shades of Paper. Why not? They are offering the best competitive price and are and have been great to deal with. What's wrong with that?

Unless you happen to be the competition.  

Which is fine too. We all compete with each other. It's actually (IMO) one primary laws of physics, chemistry and the Universe but that is another discussion!

So yes, the posts do sound similar. And well they should as I wrote them both!

Here I sit (lay stand) with a Canon printer in place of the Epson 4880 I thought I wanted. As I mentioned, and you well know having hung out in these forums, that these beasts all have their various strengths and weaknesses. Same as with photo gear like the long running Canon vs. Nikon debate.

We all want quality and we all want it cheap (or at least I do). The manufacturers and their engineers are all scrambling to make us happy so we will buy more of their products and keep them in business, who knows even make some of them rich.

And speaking of rich these are indeed rich times, technologically speaking. And if I can make a few bucks along the way selling my ipf5100 prints more power to me. And when and if I acquire a HP Z printer or new generation Epson x9 series I'll do more of the same.

It's not all about money for me however I think the financial aspect gives me greater motivation and focus. It also scares the sh*t out of me too. Don't know where exactly I'll go with this new piece of equipment. It's is time for me to get some prints up on the wall.

Now if someone out there can hold my hand while I learn about profiles…

--Barry

Uh, gee Barry, you didn't like the 4880 you also ordered from Shades of Paper on Mar 28?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lo...php/t24295.html

And why does that post sound exactly like this one?  Hmmm?

This wouldn't be a pathetically disguised ad would it, Jim?  Oh excuse me, Barry.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212123\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Satch

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:04:33 pm »

Jim (Doyle), I have bought stuff from you guys and have found you good to deal with.  

But I hate deceptive crap like this.  It's an insult to Michael (who should can your login), and the other members of this forum.

I doubt I will ever do business with Shades of Paper again.

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:27:34 pm »

....They are offering the best competitive price and are and have been great to deal with.

Which is fine too. We all compete with each other.
--Barry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:19:06 pm »

Just to reply to Satch and Roscolo,

I am not Jim Doyle nor do I have any other affiliation with Shades of Paper other than that of a happy customer.

The usage of the term "we" is meant in the sense of "all of humanity."

Satch, you can accuse anyone of anything. Your accusations do not make you correct. Yet you parade your opinion on this forum as if you are some kind of expert or have some other kind of inside information that the rest of us don't have access too.

My name is Barry Butterfield and I own and run a Bed and Breakfast in Hudson NY. Now for the real shameless plug:

www.hudsoncitybnb.com

and

www.stayinhudson.com

(BTW, I photographed and designed the masthead for "stayinhudson")

I bought the property 2 years ago. My rooms are comfortable, I'm in a great location on the best quiet residential block within easy walking distance of all the best that Hudson has to offer; over 50 antique shops, over 20 art galleries and some of the most interesting and well preserved historical architecture in the Northeast. I make a great breakfast, almost all of my guests leave smiling and are very satisfied with their pleasant and relaxing time in my home. Several of my guests even commented that the best meals they had while in Hudson were my breakfasts! Huge compliment considering they were here for 4 days and that there are several great restaurants in town: Swoon, Ca'Mea, DaBa, Red Dot, Vico, Baba Louies among others. So I cook as well as photograph. How many other readers on this site see a connection between preparing food and their photography?

The enclosed photograph is from three of my guests who were here from Finland for the opening of their show "Hibernate" at the Ornamentum Gallery here in Hudson:

http://www.ornamentumgallery.com/gallery/index.php

I orchestrated and shot the enclosed photo in-between serving other guests. 5D 24-105 f4L. The square version is a down and dirty crop and clone job to see what it would look like without the subject’s shoes and legs showing. Which one do you like better? These were not "processed" yet, however C&C welcome for concept and composition. I think if I had more time I would have tried some other variations of the idea.

Now I am the proud owner of a beautiful (though large) ipf5100. I think I may start offering one free 17"x22" Canon Fine Art Enhanced Velvet print with every reservation of 2 or more days... Print workshops anyone? Well, can't compete with Michael on that one, however maybe someday with the help of Michael's superb tutorials...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/d...ad-videos.shtml

Anyway Satch, now you have my information. I now expect that you will publically make your apologies to Jim Doyle and Shades of Paper who did nothing to deserve your unwarranted accusations except provide excellent customer service and dare I assume that “we” all can appreciate a bit of that these days.

--Barry Butterfield

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:45:12 pm »

Barry,

I know you will enjoy your new printer, I have been using my Canon iPF5000 for over a year and a half now and it continues to make great prints.

I saw your response with the Hudson City Bed and Breakfast ad and just wanted to say hello.  I grew up on the 300 block of Union Street in Hudson and my father still lives there.  You have done a wonderful  job with the building and it has helped greatly with the revitalization of the city.

Jerry

http://www.skrockidesign.com
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:45:49 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:22:50 pm »

Hi Jerry!

Funny running into you here! That is so cool that you grew up around the corner. Do let me know or just drop by next time you're in town    

Thanks for your kind note. I can't take credit for restoring the building, I bought it this way 2 years ago as a functioning bnb.

I really want to re-do my bnb website and add new photos which it sorely needs. (The existing site design and photos are not mine). Can't say what is taking me so long however I promise to have new photos up on my bnb site in 2 weeks.

I looked at your website and read your "about me" and I am moved and inspired by your personal story. I like a number of your images very much, notably "Private Gibbs 1977" and "Reflections 2000."

I respect how you are reinventing yourself in the wake of your accident and personal losses. I too, am on the "reinventing" road after a series of my own life changes. What could be better than pursuing what we love, in this case photography? Perhaps we can exchange ideas.

Anyway, I think we have a lot to talk about as we embark on our individual not-so-new journeys into the realm of photography.

Let's be in touch.

All the best,
Barry

Barry,

I know you will enjoy your new printer, I have been using my Canon iPF5000 for over a year and a half now and it continues to make great prints.

I saw your response with the Hudson City Bed and Breakfast ad and just wanted to say hello.  I grew up on the 300 block of Union Street in Hudson and my father still lives there.  You have done a wonderful  job with the building and it has helped greatly with the revitalization of the city.
Jerry

http://www.skrockidesign.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Satch

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:26:27 pm »

Barry and Jim, I do indeed apologize.  I incorrectly assumed that you two were the "same" person, and now it is obvious that is not the case.

As I said in my last post, I have been a customer of SOP, and have had nothing but good service from them.

Barry, best of luck with your B&B, and Jim continued good success with SOP (and of course I will continue to be a customer).

Again, my apologies.

Satch

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:53:49 pm »

Thanks Satch. Now we can get back making photographs...

And I can get back to being me and that's pretty awesome!

Barry

Barry and Jim, I do indeed apologize.  I incorrectly assumed that you two were the "same" person, and now it is obvious that is not the case.

As I said in my last post, I have been a customer of SOP, and have had nothing but good service from them.

Barry, best of luck with your B&B, and Jim continued good success with SOP (and of course I will continue to be a customer).

Again, my apologies.

Satch
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cartman

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 06:21:44 am »

Well good grief.  If I had caught this post on the 31st I probably would have bought one.  Today they say they want $2K on their website.  Do you have to call or something like that to get the best price?  If someone from that company wants to PM and shamelessly entice me with a drop-dead deal on a 5100 or 6100, by all means do so.

Ed Dubois

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:11:03 pm »

Today they say they want $2K on their website.  Do you have to call or something like that to get the best price? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same here! I've been fighting a losing battle with trying to get my iPF5000 to talk to my Mac via CS3. Having spent many hours installing and re-installing the drivers etc plus hours on the phone with Canon, Apple and ColorHQ (where I bought the printer) I'm giving up and looking for an iPF5100 so I can at least salvage the color ink cartridges that are nearly full! ColorHQ lists their printer for $1450 with free shipping. That seems a lot better than $1995 to me!

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 12:25:54 pm »

To get the best price you've got to call these people as they aren't allowed to advertise prices below a certain point on their websites. At the moment, the phone pricing I'm hearing is:

5100 = $1100
6100 = $1750
8100 = $3000
9100 = $8000
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Mike_Dougan

• http://www.thefieryscotsman.com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:57:39 am »

That price on the 5100 is really hurting me.......... I paid $3,100 for the printer here in the Philippines. Initially I wanted the 5000 when it first came out but Canon Philippines wanted $4,000 for that printer. I argued with Canon so long that the 5100 replaced the 5000. Still though the official price of the iPF5100 is 150,000 peso's at today's exchange rate (the Peso is the poorest performing currency in Asia just now) thats $3,350 but when I bought the 5100 it would have been $3,750. Thankfully I've friends in the trade and got it at trade price.

So...... if you thing $2,000 is too much, some have had to pay a lot more, and at $1,100 its amazing!!! (and shameless plug for Jim Doyle....... excellent to deal with!)

Mike

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 07:54:19 pm »

I have had my ipf5000 since December 2006 and went through all of the "use the customer as a beta tester" problems. The roller feed unit had to have the gears replaced, Canon's poor documentation, having to use other customers from the Canon ipf wikispace for printer support. Then there was Canon's lack of driver support for the Mac. They finally came out with drivers for Leopard early this year  and now I'm getting a check left printhead error (03800502-280E). From what I understand, I should be ordering a new left printhead (about $600).  Then I wonder if it's better to replace both printheads because of the cost of the ink used to purge the lines for head replacements.

That leaves me in the same position as the previous poster. Should I just buy the ipf5100 or continue to sink money into my current printer. It seems like such a waste, but buying the new printer is cheaper. I guess all electronics are built to be disposable these days.
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up