Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The girl and her llama.  (Read 5685 times)

Andres Bonilla

The girl and her llama.
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:50:16 am »

Any suggestions on cropping, angle, saturation etc?

Thanks,

Andres

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
The girl and her llama.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20:59 am »

Nice image, but I would personally crop much closer. the distant background in the upper part of the image does IMHO not add much, and its bluish tint isn't too pleasing either.

Cheers,
Bernard

Andres Bonilla

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:41:23 pm »

Nice image, but I would personally crop much closer. the distant background in the upper part of the image does IMHO not add much, and its bluish tint isn't too pleasing either.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212000\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Bernard, would you crop it just above her head? Would you leave any of the scenery in the back?

dalethorn

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:11:55 pm »

I disagree with the previous person.  The background is intrinsic to the llama and provides a realism that makes the photo.  If it's too blue, you can mask that for a slight change, but not too much change.

Brad Proctor

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:16:28 pm »

Whether the background is cropped or not, I think it would benefit from being more out of focus.
Brad Proctor

Andres Bonilla

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:50:17 pm »

I disagree with the previous person.  The background is intrinsic to the llama and provides a realism that makes the photo.  If it's too blue, you can mask that for a slight change, but not too much change.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212084\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Dale, the photo was actually cropped a bit but I left the top of it because I thought it showed the subjects sorroundings, the slight blue cast did not bother me because this is how it looked because of the sun peeking thru the clouds as it often happens in the Andes.

I am glad that my reasoning was not too much off.

Andres Bonilla

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:52:32 pm »

Whether the background is cropped or not, I think it would benefit from being more out of focus.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212086\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Bradley, I would probably need a longer focal length or a wider aperture? I shot at 100 ASA with a 85 mm lens.

popnfresh

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 12:04:35 am »

The lighting is awful. The high values in the shirt are burned out and she's squinting. It's not a particularly flattering portrait. And I agree that the crop needs to be much tighter. The background isn't very interesting and there's so much of it that it distracts from the real subject.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:10:13 am by popnfresh »

dalethorn

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:35:18 am »

The lighting is awful. The high values in the shirt are burned out and she's squinting. It's not a particularly flattering portrait. And I agree that the crop needs to be much tighter. The background isn't very interesting and there's so much of it that it distracts from the real subject.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212235\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Nah - lighting is OK, shirt OK, squint adds realism (very good), and background is already small enough.  This looks pretty close to a candid shot, which I like.  Some people like the above are prob. thinking of a formal portrait like a "pro" would charge a specific client for.  That's OK too, but I wouldn't base my general work effort on that.

lbenac

• http://www.LucBenacPhoto.com
The girl and her llama.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:45:33 am »

Seriously, I found the bush with the flowers/wall in the immediate background to be too much in focus/saturated and stealing the attention from the main focus. Maybe a little bit of creative sharpening on the faces and a little bit of creative blurring/desaturation on the bush?

Espero que no le molesta la broma.

Saludos.

Luc
Luc Benac
Amateur Photos from Canada, Fr

Andres Bonilla

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:55:14 am »

You need a closer relationship between the girl and the llama for exemple..  

Seriously, I found the bush with the flowers/wall in the immediate background to be too much in focus/saturated and stealing the attention from the main focus. Maybe a little bit of creative sharpening on the faces and a little bit of creative blurring/desaturation on the bush?

Espero que no le molesta la broma.

Saludos.

Luc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Luc! I thought to do some blurring but I was afraid to make it look phony or artificial, I love selective blurring but somehow I did not feel it would do any justice to the spontaneity of the photo. Honestly the bush is part of the local flora that it did not bother me, I could have moved to my left and try to get just mountain in the background but I liked the decaying wall and colorful bush as part of her their environment.

Muchas gracias y graciosa foto.

Andres

Andres Bonilla

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:07:45 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212235\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
  Thanks for your input. Ok, giving the circumstances of a the environment would you have avoided taking the photograph? The light on her bothered you that much that you would not considered a worthy photo? I agree that in a controlled photo shot, the lighting and set up would have been perfect but in this case how could I have improved on it? In terms of exposure should I have exposed lower? Would you prefer an out of focus background that it did not take anything from the subject? I liked the girl surrounded by her habitat but some of you  find it distracting so I need to take that into consideration.

Thanks again for the comment.

Andres Bonilla

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 12:10:03 pm »

Nah - lighting is OK, shirt OK, squint adds realism (very good), and background is already small enough.  This looks pretty close to a candid shot, which I like.  Some people like the above are prob. thinking of a formal portrait like a "pro" would charge a specific client for.  That's OK too, but I wouldn't base my general work effort on that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Dale, I love the forums because of the different  points of view.

lbenac

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:14:10 pm »

The wall and the flowers are very nice on their own.
Now just nitpicking:
1. crop the top left corner - there is just a little bit of white sky?
2.on almost the bottom right there is  something in focus on the background that looks like half a campesino - just beside a blue blur. I would either put the full person if it is the case but the DOF looks totally wrong to be that.
Or I would crop a little bit tighter to remove whatever it is.
As I said just nitpicking.

donde es este lugar? La blusa no parece del Sur de Peru pero ay tentas communidades indigenas con tantos differente estilos.....

Saludos.

Thanks Luc! I thought to do some blurring but I was afraid to make it look phony or artificial, I love selective blurring but somehow I did not feel it would do any justice to the spontaneity of the photo. Honestly the bush is part of the local flora that it did not bother me, I could have moved to my left and try to get just mountain in the background but I liked the decaying wall and colorful bush as part of her their environment.

Muchas gracias y graciosa foto.

Andres
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Luc Benac

lbenac

The girl and her llama.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 12:19:45 pm »

Nah - lighting is OK, shirt OK, squint adds realism (very good), and background is already small enough.  This looks pretty close to a candid shot, which I like.  Some people like the above are prob. thinking of a formal portrait like a "pro" would charge a specific client for.  That's OK too, but I wouldn't base my general work effort on that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I agree, I like how both the girl and the llama seems to be looking toward a same point outside the frame. I have been in South America enough  times to like the background and even the light. In the mountains light (and life) is harsh and the color rendering reflects this pretty close.

Luc.
Luc Benac
Pages: [1]   Go Up