Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copyright of your photos IN CANADA  (Read 13125 times)

mrleonard

Copyright of your photos IN CANADA
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:25:09 pm »

There is a plethora of info on copyrighting your images in the U.S.A. Does anyone know the process and can provide an easy guide for here in Canada? I google searched, but the only conclusion was that I would have to phone the government and I don't care for that..lol.

Joe Behar

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:36:43 pm »

mrleonard

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:15:26 pm »

Join CAPIC

http://www.capic.org
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211830\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Er...how about..NO.
If I was looking for info on joining a union I would have asked.

As it was though...I am looking for info on copyrighting my images in Canada.Well, more specifically REGISTERING them for purposes of copyright.

The CAPIC site says:
"There is no requirement to register copyright work in Canada. Purchasing a certificate of registration can provide proof that the work is protected by copyright and that the registered owner is the owner of the copyright in that work. For the latest information on copyright registration and current fees contact the following federal government office:

Copyright Office
Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO)
Industry Canada
50 Victoria Street
Place du Portage, Phase I
Hull, Quebec
K1A 0C9
Ph: (819) 997-1836
Web: cipo.gc.ca"

So, ya, they are saying to call the govt. Their link is dead to cipo is dead too.
If you go to the cipo site...it is quite a jumble...and I cant seem to find any info on specifically registering images for copyright and the fees.

Does anyone here bother registering their images? Seems the most prudent thing to do, and in the states it seems most pro photographers do it or at least should do it. Whats the deal in Canada, if say someone uses an image of mine without permission? Is the onus on me to prove copyright? Can I sue for punitive damages?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:43:43 am »

You could poke around here:

http://www.cda-cb.gc.ca/help/registration-e.html

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Joe Behar

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:32:05 am »

mrleonard,

CAPIC has been working on copyright issues for a very long time now and has accomplished a lot. Its not a union in any way, shape or form. Its an organization trying to establish ethical, fair business practices and protection for copyright holders.

Maybe you should drop in to one of their meetings or an Xchange night if you're in either the Toronto or Vancouver area and just meet some of the people.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:32:33 am by Joe Behar »

mrleonard

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:47:35 pm »

mrleonard,

CAPIC has been working on copyright issues for a very long time now and has accomplished a lot. Its not a union in any way, shape or form. Its an organization trying to establish ethical, fair business practices and protection for copyright holders.
Maybe you should drop in to one of their meetings or an Xchange night if you're in either the Toronto or Vancouver area and just meet some of the people.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212027\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yipes...I don't like the sound of them at all! As I stand for fair use ,not protection...I do a good job of that on my own. Don't see how paying $500/yr would help me. I mean god...they're not even tough looking CAW workers. Who the hell's  going to get intimidated by a bunch of nerdy camera geeks?

In other words....thx for  being so (un) helpful  but that is not what I was asking about. Sigh...if you really NEED to know, it's only so I can sue for punitive damages if some wealthy corporation (with deep pockets) uses my images without a proper license.

Joe Behar

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 08:58:38 am »

if you really NEED to know, it's only so I can sue for punitive damages if some wealthy corporation (with deep pockets) uses my images without a proper license.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's exactly what they're trying to do.

With out offending anyone or getting on my soapbox, we hear from a lot of people on how bad it is that there are no guidelines for usage charges and how hard it is to be compensated if someone does use your images without license, but most don't want to participate in an organization that is trying to help with these things.

In the end you will make the decision that's best for you, and I respect that, but I'd still suggest you go to a meeting. The worst that could happen is that you meet some of you peers and have a nice evening.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:05:11 am »

Joe is right.  The PPOC is also working hand-in-hand with CAPIC.  Membership is definitely worth it, in either organization.  Right now, they're the only ones fighting for YOUR rights.
Mike Guilbault

sarcastech

Re: Copyright of your photos IN CANADA
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 02:17:47 pm »

My understanding to copyright anything in Canada be it music , photos, or documents is to just mail it to yourself.
Don't open the package when you get it back. The postmark on the package is the copyright date. And will hold up in court.

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 04:19:38 pm »

You do it through CIPO.  There's nothing wrong with the CIPO site.  It takes about 10 seconds to figure out where to go and how to do it.  If you're not able or willing to take the time to figure it out then perhaps you should sell your cameras, get out of the game and leave it to people with half a wit of intelligence or motivation.

bundas

• check out my site
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 12:32:56 pm »

You do it through CIPO.  There's nothing wrong with the CIPO site.  It takes about 10 seconds to figure out where to go and how to do it.  If you're not able or willing to take the time to figure it out then perhaps you should sell your cameras, get out of the game and leave it to people with half a wit of intelligence or motivation.

whoa, what! I know it's been two and a half years since that was posted but yeesh, what a rude response.
I'd say that good photography is a little more about creativity than the ability to navigate a cluttered government website

anyways, to get to actually answering the OP's question for anybody who happens upon this thread in the future,
this is taken from the CIPO website:

Although copyright in a work exists automatically when an original work is created, a certificate of registration is evidence that your creation is protected by copyright and that you, the person registered, are the owner. It can be used in court as evidence of ownership.

so you can't sue without first registering, though you do have other options (cease and desit letters, demanding licensing etc.)
also, the "poor man's copyright" of mailing materials to yourself has been debunked in the US but I'm not sure about Canada.

here's a link to the online copyright registration page if you so wish to use it

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »

Er...how about..NO.
thx for  being so (un) helpful 
leave it to people with half a wit of intelligence
what a rude response

And here I thought Canadians are the polite ones! ;) ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up