Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H3DII-digi in cold conditions?  (Read 4311 times)

danielblom

Hasselblad H3DII-digi in cold conditions?
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:39:05 am »

So Im looking into buying the Hasselblad H3DII-31 on that summer offer now. I do quite a lot of work in cold temperatures, 0 to -20 Celcius. Does anyone have experience working with any of the H2/3 cams with Hassy backs under such conditions?

According to the dealer it could only effect the battery time but how much they did not know..

Thanks in advance / Daniel Blom

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:37 am »

Daniel,

This was a big concern for me as well. This past winter was not too cold, so I only had the opportunity to test my H3DII39 in about 15F degrees. Battery life was much shorter, otherwise no problems.

Kind regards,
Derek
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:02:42 pm by jecxz »

hubell

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:53:05 am »

I have use an H3D in VERY cold weather in Vermont(zero F) with no problems other than battery life, but I was working out of the car with the camera for no more than an hour at a time so no sustained exposure to cold. No problem other than battery life. Check out www.elizabethcarmel.com. She has done winter backpacking with an H3D and can probably provide excellent advice.

janisr

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:16:50 am »

in minus 20 degrees h3d39 battery worked about 20 minutes:), and it was not the battery fault - I had two of them!
Jānis Ratnieks www.janisratnieks.com

j.miller

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 12:20:21 pm »

I can confirm, along with the other posts, the H3D/II series cameras perform reasonably well in 0 to -20c temperatures. If you keep several battery grips, inside your clothing, and close to you body, you can expect 20-45 minutes of operation per battery. Other than battery performance (as expected), the camera does well.

I have had some clients use the ImageBank II, along with snap-on Sony L-Type Li-Ion batteries, inside there clothing, which allows much longer, sustained operation. In this configuration, the camera/back draws a considerable amount of power from the Sony Li-Ion, via FireWire 800, and only relies on the battery grip to power to basic mechanics of the camera body.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

So Im looking into buying the Hasselblad H3DII-31 on that summer offer now. I do quite a lot of work in cold temperatures, 0 to -20 Celcius. Does anyone have experience working with any of the H2/3 cams with Hassy backs under such conditions?

According to the dealer it could only effect the battery time but how much they did not know..

Thanks in advance / Daniel Blom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211740\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:02:49 am by JEM_DTG »

janisr

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:24:19 pm »

I can confirm, along with the other posts, the H3D/II series cameras perform reasonably well in 0 to -20c temperatures. If you keep several battery grips, inside your clothing, and close to you body, you can expect 20-45 minutes of operation per battery. Other than battery performance (as expected), the camera does well.

I have had some clients use the ImageBank II, along with snap-on Sony L-Type Li-Ion batteries, inside there clothing, which allows much longer, sustained operation. In this configuration, the camera/back draws a considerable amount of power from the Sony Li-Ion, via FireWire 800, and only relies on the battery grip to power to basic mechanics of the camera body.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How is 20 - 45 minutes operating time reasonable?
Jānis Ratnieks www.janisratnieks.com

j.miller

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:39:35 pm »

20-45 minutes, from a portable, Li-Ion battery like this is common. I am not aware of another on-camera battery technology that will perform any better given the camera design, and environmental circumstances.

It is reasonable in comparison to other battery solutions available. If you are looking for MORE reasonable, cold-weather performance, the ImageBank II / Sony Li-Ion option will be worth considering.

This type of battery performance in extreme cold is nothing new.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

How is 20 - 45 minutes operating time reasonable?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:02:58 am by JEM_DTG »

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 06:33:24 pm »

If I had to work with these problems this is what i would do
The H3D comes with separate battery grip that can hold three small lithium batteries.
I would rig that grip so a line comes out that goes to either a H normal battery
or an other power supply that is carried close to the body for heat.
cheers
m*

Nick-T

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:46 pm »

Note you can always tape chemical hand warmers (available from outdoor stores) to keep the grips warm.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

hubell

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:44:19 pm »

Note you can always tape chemical hand warmers (available from outdoor stores) to keep the grips warm.

Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent idea, Nick.  However, to be really effective, what you would want to do is craft some sort of "glove" that would go over the battery/grip and  insert the heat pack in there.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 07:39:11 pm »

I have use an H3D in VERY cold weather in Vermont(zero F) with no problems other than battery life,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211767\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you have some concrete idea of how many shots you could get per battery in these conditions?

I know that my Mamiya ZD doesn't do more than ... 10 shots... per battery at -15C.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:41:15 pm »

20-45 minutes, from a portable, Li-Ion battery like this is common. I am not aware of another on-camera battery technology that will perform any better given the camera design, and environmental circumstances.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211811\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How do DSLR do it? I am getting 500 shots and days of autonomy with my Nikon  D3 at -10C.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:42:28 pm »

I have thought of doing that, but nobody knows the impact of imposing a temperature gradient to a camera/sensor.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 07:45:47 pm »

I have thought of doing that, but nobody knows the impact of imposing a temperature gradient to a camera/sensor.

Cheers,
Bernard

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 08:31:42 pm »

Nick-T
I have used these hand warmers: they are fantastic, claim to be environmentally safe (at least the ones I get at REI), they come in various sizes and last for hours.

My worst shoot was in -19F but it was with my H2 and film. H2 and lenses worked flawlessly, I did not. In the end, even with two gloves and hand warmers, the pain was so terrible that I could barely push the car remote after returning from the hike.

My wish would be for Hasselblad to make a long battery grip (say double the height) that has double+ the power capacity. This would help provide extra power in such extreme conditions.

I carry 8 to 10 extra H battery grips when I travel and have a power outlet in my vehicle for charging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up