More megapixels - a 100 mp sensor
- 5 (4.1%)
Higher frame rates (over 2 fps)
- 2 (1.6%)
A square full frame sensors
- 9 (7.4%)
A 2:3 ratio sensors
- 0 (0%)
A completely new format sensor (1:3, 1:4, 2:5)
- 0 (0%)
A rotating sensor
- 3 (2.5%)
20, 40, 60, 80 GB of built-in solid-state memory
- 0 (0%)
Dual memory card slots
- 0 (0%)
None of the above.
- 12 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Top priority MFDB specs.  (Read 12424 times)

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Poll: Top priority MFDB specs.
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 06:10:42 pm »

James,

we understand each other, mostly.

Simply not for your "Seventh"! Don't make a generality out of one particular dealer who does not seem to be at its place (I shall check this out). There are some other dealers out there, serious, knowledgeable and helpful, included in California.

Best regards,
Thierry

Seventh.  Every manufactuer's CEO MUST be required to put on a plastic mustache, change their name and go to 4 cities to buy their cameras and backs from their authorized dealers.  They should learn to appreciate the whole medium format buying experience.

(The Sinar CEO just has to go to one city, because they won't find one anywhere with the batteries charged.)

JR

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 06:42:31 pm »

James,

we understand each other, mostly.

Simply not for your "Seventh"! Don't make a generality out of one particular dealer who does not seem to be at its place (I shall check this out). There are some other dealers out there, serious, knowledgeable and helpful, included in California.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212423\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Theirry,

Your a good guy and like FotoZ you bleed Sinar Blue, but I'm not making this stuff up, because you can't make up anything this crazy.

I've been into the largest camera store in NY who is a Sinar/BRON dealer and prior to the HY6 saw a Sinar M behind the counter.  I asked to see it and wanted to know what it was and they said a digital camera.  I asked "where's the digital" part and they said, they have to order the back, but as a Sinar dealer they had to buy one M.

Everybody here that says Sinar is absolutely hidden in the U.S. isn't trying to get you, or Sinar, they're just telling their experience with Sinar Digital Cameras, and if they're like me, there is a lot of stuff they come across they won't say because it would sound hurtful.

Once again your a good guy, care for your product, etc, etc, etc, but show me a dealer where I can walk in, Cash in Hand buy an HY6, Full compliment of lenses,  prisms, adapters for other cameras and a Sinar 75 back on the spot.

You may know one, but I've never seen it, though I must admit I don't spend that much time in camera stores, or now as they are called,  Value Added Digital Camera Specialty Stores.

Sinar is not alone in this though.  It's not easy to just walk in and buy a medium format back and camera of your choice and walk out the door.

Hell, I can drive 11 blocks from where I'm standing right now and buy a bloody Lamborghini.

JR

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 06:48:15 pm »

like FotoZ you bleed Sinar Blue
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James, I simply correct misinformation as and when it appears about a product I am familiar with, or point it out as an option to people who don't seem to be aware of the products yet. I never have and never would tell people that a Sinar product is automatically the best for them, regardless of their individual needs. Please refrain from making such smears.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:48:53 pm by foto-z »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 07:26:30 pm »

James, I simply correct misinformation as and when it appears about a product I am familiar with, or point it out as an option to people who don't seem to be aware of the products yet. I never have and never would tell people that a Sinar product is automatically the best for them, regardless of their individual needs. Please refrain from making such smears.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212434\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How bout' Lamborghini?

JR

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 08:01:18 pm »

How bout' Lamborghini?
JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James, I'm sorry to tell you that I haven't been able to see a functioning Sinar with a charged battery yet. I think they've run out of rotating battery chargers.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

zeitwand

• http://www.zeitwand.de
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 11:10:30 am »

I go for LiveView and Long-Exposure capability!
Architectural Photography: www.zeitwand.de

jonstewart

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 11:22:12 am »

What about better long exposure performance!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So you don't have a Phase back then? :-)
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 11:35:31 am »

I see that higher usable ISO is the leading choice..Do the "physics" of MF sensors limit the range of usable ISO?  

Steve

PdF

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 11:45:09 am »

I'm using a camera with live view every day. It's essential for me.

And only with a technical camera.

Therefore, Sinar is the best for me.

I did use an Hy6 during four-five days. That's a magnificent camera (excepts the colors of the body). But i prefer my prehistorical P2 with the SinarCam and the choice between a lot of lenses.

PdF
PdF

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 12:01:29 pm »

i would like cheaper prices, which should be possible with higher sale numbers.
and an easier and much better valuated upgrade politic.

i like open systems.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:02:00 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 01:58:58 pm »

This poll has a serious fault. It does not have a "More DR" question.
Does that 10%+ in "None of the above" mean for this?  Don't think so. My understanding is that it should the most checked item of all. Oh, I got it. It is so obvious is out of question.

Eduardo

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 02:26:25 pm »

I have enough DR (IMO, I have no beef with having too less), if I need more I could exposure bracket in most cases.

My top tick would be a good LCD & longer exposures.

BTW, it is not just the process of buying MFDB which is horrible, I find buying many of the 'non-regular' stuff is horrible. You would not believe how long I have been trying to get a 95mm ND3.0 Heliopan filter. Emails to Heliopan don't get answered, on their site it states you need to order via dealers. I have written at least 5 in several different countries. None of them have replied sofar.

Is there any professional dealer out there that can sell me a 95mm ND3.0 Heliopan? (which also shows immediately why I want longer exposures ).

It seems it is only interesting to sell stuff like D700's/D300's/D3's/1DsIII/etc..., the high volume equipment instead.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 05:35:39 pm by Dustbak »

thsinar

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 04:59:45 pm »

Thanks to admit this, James.

Thierry

Theirry,

Sinar is not alone in this though.  It's not easy to just walk in and buy a medium format back and camera of your choice and walk out the door.

Hell, I can drive 11 blocks from where I'm standing right now and buy a bloody Lamborghini.

JR
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

cyberean

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 05:40:09 pm »

and better yet ... you can actually, depending
on the dealer, take one out for a test drive.

thsinar

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 05:01:26 am »

James,

I will be frank and honest: I know that we are not the 1st player in the USA, not even the second or the 3rd. I know this, you know this and everybody here knows it as well.
We may not have the glitter and shine (understand marketing) of some other players, rightly or wrongly, admitted as well.

But what I know also, is that we certainly not have the worse after sales support/service and commitment, knowledge and passion of a distributor/dealer in this country. There have been many comments here, by Sinar users, praising not only the product, but also the service and support provided by our distributor or some of its dealers: no need to name them here.

Nor do we have the worse product in terms of IQ, functionality, possibilities and reliability.

In fact, I honestly believe that we have the most extensive and complete system to propose, from cameras to lenses and accessories, up to digital backs.

And I believe also that we have a knowledgeable and committed team at Sinar, a team doing their work with passion and competence, always ready to help our customers, even when off duty.

I wished this to be said. Some posts, comments and negative reports here are IMHO generalized, when there are so many reports showing the contrary as well.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Theirry,

Your a good guy and like FotoZ you bleed Sinar Blue, but I'm not making this stuff up, because you can't make up anything this crazy.

Everybody here that says Sinar is absolutely hidden in the U.S. isn't trying to get you, or Sinar, they're just telling their experience with Sinar Digital Cameras, and if they're like me, there is a lot of stuff they come across they won't say because it would sound hurtful.

JR
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 05:16:42 am »

The poll needs more options to vote:

For me in order of importance:

1. Higher ISO, usable FULL RESS ISO1600 would be super
2. better color transistions, it's already much better than a DSLR but still in shadow areas there can be some harsch transistions.
3. full 6x45 resolution or 6x7
4. better screen, like on the DSLR for checking the exposure
5. More dynamic range, 2 extra stops would be nice but not necessary

I don't really care for MP's although 22+ can be nice I'm still very happy with my 22MP.

eronald

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 06:33:36 am »

The poll needs more options to vote:

For me in order of importance:

1. Higher ISO, usable FULL RESS ISO1600 would be super
2. better color transistions, it's already much better than a DSLR but still in shadow areas there can be some harsch transistions.
3. full 6x45 resolution or 6x7
4. better screen, like on the DSLR for checking the exposure
5. More dynamic range, 2 extra stops would be nice but not necessary

I don't really care for MP's although 22+ can be nice I'm still very happy with my 22MP.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The problem with shadow tones comes from the fact that sensor makers choose non-orthogonal filters in order to gain ISO. It's possible that the new Kodak sensor is better here, a prime offender was the Canon 1Ds2

Edmund

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 06:40:25 am »

James,

I will be frank and honest: I know that we are not the 1st player in the USA, not even the second or the 3rd. I know this, you know this and everybody here knows it as well.
We may not have the glitter and shine (understand marketing) of some other players, rightly or wrongly, admitted as well.

But what I know also, is that we certainly not have the worse after sales support/service and commitment, knowledge and passion of a distributor/dealer in this country. There have been many comments here, by Sinar users, praising not only the product, but also the service and support provided by our distributor or some of its dealers: no need to name them here.

Nor do we have the worse product in terms of IQ, functionality, possibilities and reliability.

In fact, I honestly believe that we have the most extensive and complete system to propose, from cameras to lenses and accessories, up to digital backs.

And I believe also that we have a knowledgeable and committed team at Sinar, a team doing their work with passion and competence, always ready to help our customers, even when off duty.

I wished this to be said. Some posts, comments and negative reports here are IMHO generalized, when there are so many reports showing the contrary as well.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212722\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have a working well-designed camera, a good support team and a good rep called Thierry. You also have defective marketing department  and insufficient commercial support. Look at how Hasselblad is putting the focus on making noise, noise, noise, promotions, getting demo cameras out there, making demos, coopting dealers and yes improving their product. I've seen so many Hassy's in shops, I've even seen people using them and shot one several times, I haven't seen a single Sinar in a shop and have never shot one.The only one I ever saw that was said to be working (Paris trade show) was out of battery.  Why don't you box half a dozen Hy6 cameras, put them on the shelves on B&H so that when a lawyer or doctor comes in and wants an MF camera they can say "well, we have this Sinar set".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 06:42:43 am by eronald »

robert zimmerman

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 06:51:19 am »

interesting results so far - hardy har har...
actually nothing surprising and very much what i expected.

the one thing i was really interested in, was to see if there would be any reaction to this from the dealer/manufacturer side. anything that resembled an answer or explanation that is.

either
a) okay, over 50% of the mf photographers here are interested in better high iso and better lcd's - we've been working on that for a long time but we can't give it to you because ...

or,

we'll get on that asap.

or

c) yes, we knew this already, but we are not the least bit interested in what working photographers want. we think that what is wished for by working photographers using mf cameras on forums is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with who will actually buy our cameras and what they want.

i would actually be thankful for any statement. but instead it's complete silence coupled with marketing hype on product innovations that most people can't afford or don't need.

why is this industry so concerned with things that are freaking irrelevant for the people who actually need and want to use mfdb and so NOT concerned with the things we need?

why do i have to write emails to reps in london to get answers on questions concerning upgrades, when i'm located in hamburg, germany?

why do i have to take a hour out my day to go to calumet and find out that the firewire cable i ordered was dragged through the shop and stepped on? and then order a firewire cable for my leaf camera from a phase-one rep?

why is service soooooo bad on such a hugely expensive piece of equipment?

why should i invest more money in this kind of service and treatment?

does 50% of the people wanting a better lcd and clean iso 800 mean anything to you people making digital backs? is it even on the priority list?

is anybody listening?

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 10:56:47 am »

does 50% of the people wanting a better lcd and clean iso 800 mean anything to you people making digital backs? is it even on the priority list?

is anybody listening?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would love two D3 chips lashed together

I dont think people quite get the MF market

I get the impression that Kodak and Dalsa make sensors for satellites, speed cameras and medical devices and military surveilance

The back makers then buy what chips are on the shelf

So even if the back makers are listening there is nothing they can do until a sensor maker gets pushed towards high ISO by one of thier core markets

Thats my guess

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up