More megapixels - a 100 mp sensor
- 5 (4.1%)
Higher frame rates (over 2 fps)
- 2 (1.6%)
A square full frame sensors
- 9 (7.4%)
A 2:3 ratio sensors
- 0 (0%)
A completely new format sensor (1:3, 1:4, 2:5)
- 0 (0%)
A rotating sensor
- 3 (2.5%)
20, 40, 60, 80 GB of built-in solid-state memory
- 0 (0%)
Dual memory card slots
- 0 (0%)
None of the above.
- 12 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Top priority MFDB specs.  (Read 12426 times)

robert zimmerman

Poll: Top priority MFDB specs.
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:29:20 am »

Just trying to make the general consensus clear for the makers of the next round of backs...

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:34:00 am »

Perhaps it would be even better with multiple selections?

robert zimmerman

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:44:30 am »

Perhaps it would be even better with multiple selections?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No doubt about it. I'm not a good poll taker, just trying to see what people here want most.

ctz

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:32 am »

don't forget about a really usable live video (in case phase is listening)

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:16:12 am »

What about better long exposure performance!
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

robert zimmerman

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 06:25:53 am »

Okay,

long exposure performance and better live view voters...sorry!

Hägar the horrible

• http://www.andidietrich.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:46:40 am »

high ISO performance equivalent to 35mm sensors and square frame 20-30mp

Boris_Epix

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:00:21 am »

And better color.

And why doesn't anyone support to shoot an actual colorchecker chart instead of the greycard to allow REAL calibration for every light setting. Just imagine if you could create one shot with the colorchecker and then all following pics in the same light would have accurate color.

EFFORTLESS. (Or same effort as shooting a greycard.)

MFDB Color and color profiles out of the back is still a subject that disappoints clients and myself. If you don't remember the color you have a hard time adjusting it right.

With the colorchecker procedure you would just fix one frame and the rest of the set you just drop the settings. The software could even recognize colorchecker charts and automatically apply the corrections to the following pics until it recognizes the next color checker. In the worst case you just undo the auto-corrections.

WHERE IS THE INNOVATION? Smaller pixels? More pixels? We have enough resolution. Work on pixel and color quality.

peegeenyc

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:39:46 am »

I voted for improved screen, but by that I meant to be able to check focus / live view  @100% on the back. a big reason so many folks shoot tethered is simply to do that, and enabling this feature on a great sharp screen would give location shoots the confidence of knowing you've nailed it.

after that its better high ISO's

got zero interest in a square format myself, but y.m.m.v.

pookipichu

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:29:57 am »

Live view.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:06:24 pm »

Lightroom 2 has something like this.

And better color.

And why doesn't anyone support to shoot an actual colorchecker chart instead of the greycard to allow REAL calibration for every light setting. Just imagine if you could create one shot with the colorchecker and then all following pics in the same light would have accurate color.

MFDB Color and color profiles out of the back is still a subject that disappoints clients and myself. If you don't remember the color you have a hard time adjusting it right.

With the colorchecker procedure you would just fix one frame and the rest of the set you just drop the settings. The software could even recognize colorchecker charts and automatically apply the corrections to the following pics until it recognizes the next color checker. In the worst case you just undo the auto-corrections.

WHERE IS THE INNOVATION? Smaller pixels? More pixels? We have enough resolution. Work on pixel and color quality.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bryanyc

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 02:09:57 pm »

Live view.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211759\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Live View here too.

Then DNG

Tie between in camera jpg's and wireless to a screen (which might require the jpg's).

Plekto

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:32:30 pm »

One word:

Foveon

Darn it - gt off your butts already and make a DB!

E_Edwards

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 04:23:24 pm »

Another one voting for a better, faster, sharper live view and also a Foveon or similar system, so that we gain in colour accuracy and edge integrity. Oh and ISO performance to equal the Nikons and Canons. The rotating sensor at the flick of a button should now become standard.

No more to the pixel race.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:25:13 pm by E_Edwards »

Rune Werner Molnes

• http://www.runemolnes.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 04:38:58 pm »

For me the most important attributes would be much better long exposure quality and better per- pixel quality. Better colorhandling and battery capacity would be other important areas for improvement.

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 04:48:57 pm »

I vote for Higher ISO and faster shooting rates.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 04:53:17 pm »

Foveon tech or something close that had as good or better live view than leaf, without it being over 30mp. Also bigger isnt always better, the smaller 33x44 chips get more movement with an image circle, so options are good on chip size if foveon could ever do this.

Another thing that would open up flood gates for leaf and and phase is to reintroduce the valeo and h series backs.  A lot of studio shooters out there would buy a new h25 or valeo 22 if they were priced under 10k and had a 3 year warranty ( WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY FOR IT)

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 06:26:52 pm »

Sinar eXposure does it, Colour Calibration with a colour checker chart: 24, DC or SG.

Best regards,
Thierry

And better color.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[attachment=7721:attachment][attachment=7722:attachment][attachment=7723:attachm
ent]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 09:02:58 pm »

Put me down for:

1. High resolution LCD
2. High resolution LCD
3. Complete compatibility with photoshop

Of lesser importance

Faster frame rate
Higher ISO
Wireless
Full frame 645

No need/desire for more pixels here. I'm a fashion/commercial/lifestyle shooter for what it's worth.

John

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 11:08:09 am »

Put me down for:

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212191\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this straw poll is interesting.  67% of the top three things asked for are not addresed by the latest annoucements of medium format cameras.

1.  Higher iso.  No reason to comment because nobody's offering as of this date.

2.  Better LCD.  See #1.  (Also not 4% better) In fact the rule is unless somebody makes an LCD as good as a 4 year old cell phone, they don't get to call it an LCD preview, they must call it an LCD preview guess).

3.  30mp FF sensor under $30,000.   Nobody in the digital world is going to offer twice the product for 1/2 the price.  Well except Apple with their I-phone, I-mac, I-everything, Nikon and the D700, Sandisk, Lexar, Lacie, Samsung,   . . .

JR

P.S.   The one catagory I think should be added is universal mounts.  Not just universal as per the contractural arrangement with the camera, sensor manufacturer, but really universal mounts where any back goes on any camera with just a click.

Second catagory I would like to see in medium format is no secret moose club handshakes.
Dont lock customers out from buying anything.    This is silly and hasselblad started it.  It may temporarily increase a makers bottom line, but long term it will kill off the whole format.  Imagine making a new Rolliflex but it only work with AGFA film, or a Hasselblad that only worked with Kodak negative film and a "full frame" film that only worked in a Mamiya back.

Stop it, before we all go crazy.

Third catagory, no more using the term Full Frame unless the caputre area of the sensor  covers the FULL FRAME of the camera.

Fourth.  Some kind of ASA/ISO standard.  No more my 400 iso is better than their 800 iso.
Turn it over to UL or Good Housekeeping, or the new consordium for telling the truth in digital advertising.   (the TTDA)*

Fifth.  Remove the term Value Added.  Come on, quit charging for floor mats on $40,000 cars.
Either offer good service or not, either offer a warranty or not, either keep a loner back for every camera or not, but don't say you have a loaner then say, uh well the one Contax loner is in Alaska.

Sixth.  Remove the term Support Case.  That's not a correct term.  The correct term is "The damn things not working case".  Man the phones 24/7 so somebody can help you right then and there witth the truth.  If more than 75 files crashes the software, tell us.  If it gets green streaks in the files, tell us, if it centerfolds tell us, but tell us when we call.

Seventh.  Every manufactuer's CEO MUST be required to put on a plastic mustache, change their name and go to 4 cities to buy their cameras and backs from their authorized dealers.  They should learn to appreciate the whole medium format buying experience.

(The Sinar CEO just has to go to one city, because they won't find one anywhere with the batteries charged.)

JR

*The TTDA doesn't exist.  I dreamed it last night.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up