Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: More elongated than 2:3 ratio?  (Read 16714 times)

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
More elongated than 2:3 ratio?
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 12:47:39 am »

Quote from: gwhitf,Jul 31 2008, 10:13 AM
For the record, to the non-USA photographers here -- there is simply a fear of Sinar in the USA. A fear of no support. A fear of long wait times, if something breaks. ("Sorry, we are in the Alps on Holiday, for next four weeks, please call back. Sanks you".)

Mr./Ms. gwhitf

I don't know your geographic location, but there may be a Calumet nearby or in the southeast
there is PPR in Atlanta.........I am sure they have Sinar products to handle or rent.

I don't think it is indicative of anything that a rental house does not have this product, other than a simple business decision of financial investment for the product and training.

I recently started using the Sinar backs (almost a year) and have used both Leaf and Phase backs as well. Sorry, I am not up on all the various tiers warranties that are currently offered by other backs.

I think there should be only one type of warranty in this price point...please send me a unit that is working the next day, while the manufacturer investigates the issue

From the normal channels of business support: I have experienced  excellent support for my back  from my distributor rep (Jack Strobel @ Calumet), Dave McRitchie (my regional Sinar rep), and Colin King (US Sinar Product manager).

I had a back that was behaving erratically when trying to turn it on....there was a loose component or something. The back was usable but not performing properly, I made one phone call to Jack, Colin called me to go over the issue..... I had a replacement back the next morning. That is the kind of professional support I like and expect. Simple.........its not working properly, Sinar will have you working next day

I don't want to be bothered or bored by making several calls, getting  case numbers, exchanging emails, and return your  back first......... I just want to be able to shoot the next day.

This normal channel will also address user issues and questions.

There is also the "other"channel; the users of this forum , both shooters and reps ( both sales and manufacturer ..Thierry and Steve Hendrix as well as others). Its like having support for questions/issues 24/7
There are plenty of examples of this on this forum.........

Lucky for us here in the US that SinarBron will take care of any issue while the Swiss are on
holiday for a month.

Of course the best warranty is to have 2 backs if you don't want to lose 1.5 to 2 days
while the replacement is being shipped to you.

Looking at some of the warranty extensions or value adds to the base warranties, it actually
makes more sense to invest in a second back (previous generation) than to buy a future "insurance"...........this is the only way to insure "no fear of support".

My one  particular warranty issue was very minor and I was able to do a test run on the particular procedures............It was very simple process that was handled professionally and efficiently.

Everybody has there own views and tastes when selecting a back to their shooting subject/style but popularity/market penetration is not necessarily indicative of performance of the back or the service provided post purchase.

BTW: I enjoyed the cart of rocks anology,  funny its the same as the wild west when the carriage was the dark room carted around by horses....... And how did the poloroid get replaced with a cart of rocks or cart of pebbles(powerbook)?

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....ndpost&p=208737
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:50:12 am by Prakash Patel »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 12:58:03 am »

hi Eric,

- I don't know and understand where you have seen or who told you about a greenish/yellowish cast or undertone: I can assure you that this is not the case. As Graham suggests it above, make sure to have a right "white balance".

- 2-step workflow: that's not the case with eXposure and its DNG workflow (as mentioned by Graham as well).

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Thierry,
Thanks for chiming in and I knew you would have something to say.  But I can put a phase or leaf file straight into Lightroom or other apps if I want. Am I wrong that the sinar files can not go straight in but need to be converted first?   Also I understand from users that they are using brumbaer first then into other  apps. Anyhow it it can't go straight into most DAM software before first being handled by BT or CS then to me this is seems like two steps.  

Also I dunno what to say about color - certainly cast was the wrong word, but I just don't like it whatever it is and I did download your RAW sample and have been given other RAW samples by others.   I have not processed them in Brumbaer or Capture shop, however I've seen plenty that were handled by people familiar with the tools and to me the sinar files have a signature look.  I'm not saying that accurate colors can't be achieved, but I think that's going to be true of any back out there.  I'd love to be proven wrong but so far that's my opinion and only just an opinion. As I mentioned I haven't made any scientific studies.  Am I really the only one that sees a difference in the colors between backs and cameras.  Not better or worse, just different looks -It's like with films, no?  And with digital its always just a starting point, but how much work do you have to do to make it look like mom's home cooking? That's the question.  
Regards,
Eric
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:59:56 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

TMARK

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 01:20:52 am »

For the record, to the non-USA photographers here -- there is simply a fear of Sinar in the USA. A fear of no support. A fear of long wait times, if something breaks. ("Sorry, we are in the Alps on Holiday, for next four weeks, please call back. Sanks you".)

We never see Sinar digital cameras on the shelves here; we never see Sinar digital cameras in rental houses. It's simply way too much of an expensive RISK to invest in Sinar.

Is this good? No. But it is the way it is. Does anyone at Sinar seems to be altering this perception? Absolutely not.

Thus, it continues.

The ball is in Sinar's court. You want the perception to change -- then change your business.

PS. For the record, I'm sure Sinar digital system is a fine tool, just like I used to own their 4x5 film view cameras. But the dollar signs are much different now, especially if you need a backup system too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is my impression as well.  Maybe as some say after sales support is great, but I'll never know because SinarBron USA is invisable.  One problem is that in NYC Fotocare is the main dealer and the sales guys are, and I'm being very charitable in the following assessment, a bunch of dicks.  The rental people are pretty cool, but the sales guys are, well, dicks.  One guy also works at Duggal and is a dick there as well.

I remember sending e-mail to SinarBron and never receiving a response.  Maybe if I buy they become my best friend, I don't know because I can't get to the buy stage because it seems like a risk or they don't want to sell to me.

The marketing is bizarre. Who is the guy in Atlanta who shoots the PDN ads and is in the Youtube video?  Why is he using a ring on camera and the Bron copy of the Briese Focus 220 as a sort of key?  The images are just not great, just badly art directed.  I guess they wanted to squeeze in Bron's sexiest products but man, shadows = drama and using the two broadest light sources in Bron's arsenal, in tandem, destroys all shadows and modeling, and muddles the unique charachter of both of those sources. That's what I see when I look at the ads, not the fact that they were shot with the Hy6 and 75lv.  I can't help but think that the ads could have been shot with a 20d, which makes me question the wisdom of shooting MFDB in the first place.

I was looking to look at a refurb E22 or 54lv when I was looking for a DB.  No one had one or no one was interested in selling me one.  I was even intersted in a 54m and no one was really psyched about selling me or demoing one.  Calumet showed me a Hy6/75lv.  It was cool but too expensive.  A Hy6/54lv was quoted at $28k, and they didn't have a 54lv for me to check out.  I would have paid $20k for a Hy6/54lv if I could have seen one, handled it, and I wasn't quoted $28,000.  So I bought a Phase, which is great and trouble free, and it just works with the Mamiya, and the dealers are great etc. Now, seven months later, I read about guys getting into a Hy6/54lv system for $17k or so. This sours things yet again.  

What is really bothersome is that I think Sinar has the best camera systems, and is really interested in what goes in front of ther MFDB. The ArTec is fantastic.  The fact that they listen to and work with Rainer V. is a testament to Sinar's interest in cameras, which is where my interst is.  So is the Sinar M and the P3.  I have a P and a P2, the P was my dad's.  Must be 30 years old, still tight.  

This isn't really a critique of Sinar, but of the insane way that MFDB are sold.  No wonder people just buy the Canon.

TMARK

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2008, 01:36:41 am »

Quote from: Prakash Patel,Jul 31 2008, 11:47 PM
Quote from: gwhitf,Jul 31 2008, 10:13 AM
Mr./Ms. gwhitf

I don't know your geographic location, but there may be a Calumet nearby or in the southeast
there is PPR in Atlanta.........I am sure they have Sinar products to handle or rent.

I don't think it is indicative of anything that a rental house does not have this product, other than a simple business decision of financial investment for the product and training.

I recently started using the Sinar backs (almost a year) and have used both Leaf and Phase backs as well. Sorry, I am not up on all the various tiers warranties that are currently offered by other backs.

I think there should be only one type of warranty in this price point...please send me a unit that is working the next day, while the manufacturer investigates the issue

From the normal channels of business support: I have experienced  excellent support for my back  from my distributor rep (Jack Strobel @ Calumet), Dave McRitchie (my regional Sinar rep), and Colin King (US Sinar Product manager).

I had a back that was behaving erratically when trying to turn it on....there was a loose component or something. The back was usable but not performing properly, I made one phone call to Jack, Colin called me to go over the issue..... I had a replacement back the next morning. That is the kind of professional support I like and expect. Simple.........its not working properly, Sinar will have you working next day

I don't want to be bothered or bored by making several calls, getting  case numbers, exchanging emails, and return your  back first......... I just want to be able to shoot the next day.

This normal channel will also address user issues and questions.

There is also the "other"channel; the users of this forum , both shooters and reps ( both sales and manufacturer ..Thierry and Steve Hendrix as well as others). Its like having support for questions/issues 24/7
There are plenty of examples of this on this forum.........

Lucky for us here in the US that SinarBron will take care of any issue while the Swiss are on
holiday for a month.

Of course the best warranty is to have 2 backs if you don't want to lose 1.5 to 2 days
while the replacement is being shipped to you.

Looking at some of the warranty extensions or value adds to the base warranties, it actually
makes more sense to invest in a second back (previous generation) than to buy a future "insurance"...........this is the only way to insure "no fear of support".

My one  particular warranty issue was very minor and I was able to do a test run on the particular procedures............It was very simple process that was handled professionally and efficiently.

Everybody has there own views and tastes when selecting a back to their shooting subject/style but popularity/market penetration is not necessarily indicative of performance of the back or the service provided post purchase.

BTW: I enjoyed the cart of rocks anology,  funny its the same as the wild west when the carriage was the dark room carted around by horses....... And how did the poloroid get replaced with a cart of rocks or cart of pebbles(powerbook)?

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....ndpost&p=208737
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It sounds like their support is great, if we can judge by the two people on this forum that say they had great support.  That is good news.  But the perception is that SinarBron USA is invisable pre purchase.  

And market penetration is important.  Every tech I know, every assistant I know, knows C1 and Leaf Capture, along with LR.  Only the best, such as BJNY on this forum, have taken the time to learn the Sinar workflow.  Tech also know how to set up and handle, trouble shoot Phase and Leaf backs.

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 03:35:23 am »

It sounds like their support is great, if we can judge by the two people on this forum that say they had great support.  That is good news.  But the perception is that SinarBron USA is invisable pre purchase. 

And market penetration is important.  Every tech I know, every assistant I know, knows C1 and Leaf Capture, along with LR.  Only the best, such as BJNY on this forum, have taken the time to learn the Sinar workflow.  Tech also know how to set up and handle, trouble shoot Phase and Leaf backs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TMARK

I am naive to the whole concept of a digital tech ( and I am not being a smart ass)...being an architectural shooter, I have a different work flow.  It basically me and an assistant or two ( to assist me with making the photograph). I handle the camera, the digital back , and a computer if i am  shooting interiors and need to see 8x10 poloroid. If a client is present sometimes I review the composition on a laptop.........I don't bother with gray balance or applying profiles to simulate
to the client what the image might look like. Once the composition is set I shoot untethered 2-5 exposures and I am  done with that shot.

I can see if you shoot fashion or studio shots a tech would provide a value in producing some previews onsite for the client....I am sure Digital techs  provide other value ( I mean paying $1500/day to pull Gwhitf's cart of rocks and make previews?.......in many markets that is the photographers creative fee)

So I guess I don't understand how market penetration, a tech or an assistant has anything to
with the decision of what back to purchase.

It would seem to me that image quality, workflow to the specific kinds of shootings , and product support and service would be more critical than whether my assistant or digital tech knows the product I am shooting. ( I am sure if you are working with high production value shoots all the time , it makes sense to purchase based on knowledge base of assistants and techs as they can be the second set of eyes you can trust)

You are probably right about Sinar pre-purchase presence and representation being somewhat invisible.

I think they make nice products with very good support

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2008, 07:04:13 am »

No harm, Eric.

Yes, Sinar files can go directly and straight into LR: I remind that eXposure is using a DNG workflow. Those DNGs can be handled by all DNG compatible applications.

About colour with different backs of different brands: I can assure you that, to the contrary of what you feel, the Sinar files have been recognized by many as being the most "neutral" and close to reality, but I don't want to enter here in a war like thi. May be it is this neutral look which you don't like. If there is a colour cast, then I can also assure you that it is either a white calibration issue or some wrong handling of the files. In any case, you can perform your own colour calibrations at will, any time and for any light situation (and save it for further use and make them your default calibration), and thus give you the personal look you like to have: it is all a question of being used and practice a little with the possibilities. This is the normal learning curve of any digital back or equipment, and I personally don't think it needs any longer to master the back and the software than any other maker.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,
Thanks for chiming in and I knew you would have something to say.  But I can put a phase or leaf file straight into Lightroom or other apps if I want. Am I wrong that the sinar files can not go straight in but need to be converted first?   Also I understand from users that they are using brumbaer first then into other  apps. Anyhow it it can't go straight into most DAM software before first being handled by BT or CS then to me this is seems like two steps. 

Also I dunno what to say about color - certainly cast was the wrong word, but I just don't like it whatever it is and I did download your RAW sample and have been given other RAW samples by others.   I have not processed them in Brumbaer or Capture shop, however I've seen plenty that were handled by people familiar with the tools and to me the sinar files have a signature look.  I'm not saying that accurate colors can't be achieved, but I think that's going to be true of any back out there.  I'd love to be proven wrong but so far that's my opinion and only just an opinion. As I mentioned I haven't made any scientific studies.  Am I really the only one that sees a difference in the colors between backs and cameras.  Not better or worse, just different looks -It's like with films, no?  And with digital its always just a starting point, but how much work do you have to do to make it look like mom's home cooking? That's the question. 
Regards,
Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2008, 07:08:03 am »

just for the record and to put it straight:

- there is NOT such a "the swiss are in holidays for a month".

I don't know where this idea comes from, but Sinar is always open, there is always somebody (actually 2 or 3 persons) doing the tech support, 365 days a year.

Best regards,
Thierry

holiday for a month.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2008, 07:12:59 am »

So it is.

The additional "Colour matrices" and other "colour calibration" are simply features of a system which we believe we have to offer to the photographer.

Thierry

In my experience eMotion backs are capable to give very pleasant skin tones out of box (with the WB set) with eXposure , fast and simple.

Yevgeny
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2008, 07:15:58 am »

Martin,

First of all and about DNG files samples: If you don't find any I can send you a couple of them for your use, like I have sent them to others. But I guess that there are a few here that would be ready to provide such files to you.

Then, yes, eXposure can produce files which are accurate in terms of colours "out-of-the-box", naturally and obviously.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,
but that isn't the case with exposure anymore, right?
cheers,
martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2008, 07:23:42 am »

hoi thierry,
i want to jump in here about the service question and about the dng colors.
about service:
i started to work with sinar 2,5 years ago, my first contact was in asia with thierry, who even came to location and assistet me in my first sessions. maybe my position with sinar was somehow extraordinary from the beginning ( for the advertisement they made at that time with me and for the brumbaer tools ) , so i cant speak about a "normal" user experience, but what reported here prakash and the others does not sound so different.
i was in close contact with the tech department in swiss from the beginning when i started to use the e22. i realised that  the guys in swiss have been as opened and allways did all they could to help me out. many ideas about sinar products i could discuss there with them directly. it came till the point we have now with the artec. i dont know about the other companies, but i havent heard here a similar story from one of these .....

about the colors:
there seems to be still an issue with the correct color interpretation in third party software, not in exposure directly. you see it in the already described extreme tint setting if you open the exposure dngs in adobe raw. MG said to me that it will be corrected.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:26:15 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

gwhitf

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2008, 08:33:43 am »

just for the record and to put it straight:

- there is NOT such a "the swiss are in holidays for a month".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sorry, Mr. Hagenauer, it was a joke. Relax. And it was a mistake too -- actually it's six weeks instead of four weeks.

But welcome back, where've you been for so long?

In addition, I agree with Mr TMARK there on many points -- to me, at this point, Sinar/Leaf/Rollei/whatever make the best camera, on the front end, whatever it's called. To be able to, soon, slap on a 6x6 film back and shoot square film, and then five seconds later, slap on a digital back, well, that's a great approach, at least to me. Even with the PocketWizard sticking out the left side of the body, just asking to be ripped off by your left hand as you go to focus, it's still a great camera.

As for the warranty, that 24 loaner is of no interest to me. If you buy one, you buy two and have a back up ready. What if Back One goes down at 9:01am, and there is talent, crew, and support standing around all day, being paid, (now, by me), while I tap my foot at the Fedex Store, waiting for a replacement? No way. You're either a pro, or you're not.

I agree about the Tech too -- how many Techs, even in Manhattan, would know the Sinar workflow inside and out? I suspect very few.

My complaint is a masked invitation to Sinar to invade America. Invade it with force. Invade it with intention. Yank Thierry off the beach and send him to 22nd Street in Manhattan, and let Sinar have a FACE and a VOICE, and begin to retire that Lab Coat Scientist reputation that they have here, and bring a little humanity to the brand. That Thierry guy has done more for Sinar's brand than any ads that they could run in PDN.

With $50-60k on the line, who's going to take a risk, when we all know how well CaptureOne tethers, and how rock solid it is, and we could list ten Techs that know it like the back of their hand?

The CAMERA is the star with the Sinar line; the digital back and the software are the scary part.

TMARK

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2008, 11:35:34 am »

I'm sorry, Mr. Hagenauer, it was a joke. Relax. And it was a mistake too -- actually it's six weeks instead of four weeks.

In addition, I agree with Mr TMARK there on many points -- to me, at this point, Sinar/Leaf/Rollei/whatever make the best camera, on the front end, whatever it's called. To be able to, soon, slap on a 6x6 film back and shoot square film, and then five seconds later, slap on a digital back, well, that's a great approach, at least to me. Even with the PocketWizard sticking out the left side of the body, just asking to be ripped off by your left hand as you go to focus, it's still a great camera.

As for the warranty, that 24 loaner is of no interest to me. If you buy one, you buy two and have a back up ready. What if Back One goes down at 9:01am, and there is talent, crew, and support standing around all day, being paid, (now, by me), while I tap my foot at the Fedex Store, waiting for a replacement? No way. You're either a pro, or you're not.

I agree about the Tech too -- how many Techs, even in Manhattan, would know the Sinar workflow inside and out? I suspect very few.

My complaint is a masked invitation to Sinar to invade America. Invade it with force. Invade it with intention. Yank Thierry off the beach and send him to 22nd Street in Manhattan, and let Sinar have a FACE and a VOICE, and begin to retire that Lab Coat Scientist reputation that they have here, and bring a little humanity to the brand. That Thierry guy has done more for Sinar's brand than any ads that they could run in PDN.

With $50-60k on the line, who's going to take a risk, when we all know how well CaptureOne tethers, and how rock solid it is, and we could list ten Techs that know it like the back of their hand?

The CAMERA is the star with the Sinar line; the digital back and the software are the scary part.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212284\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes!  

Dear Sinar:

Gruss Gott an meine Freunde bei Sinar!  Please invade the USA.  With the way the Swiss Franc-Dollar exchannge rate is going, Thierry could live at Cipriani with P-Diddy as his neighbor.  

Sinar should hire McCann or Goodby and launch a real marketing campaign in the US and get people exposed to the Sinar DBs.  Just look at Blad's marketing as a guide!

Thierry is an amazing, amazing asset for Sinar.  Please give him a raise and a new assignment in New York or LA.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:02 pm »

I spend a lot of time with camera geeks. And yet I still haven't been able to hold a fully functional Sinar/Leaf in my hands. Please, Sinar, the tech stuff is done, it's time to name our extroverted friendly and vocal Thierry as marketing director and get him out there showing off the product to as many as possible!

Edmund

Yes! 

Dear Sinar:

Gruss Gott an meine Freunde bei Sinar!  Please invade the USA.  With the way the Swiss Franc-Dollar exchannge rate is going, Thierry could live at Cipriani with P-Diddy as his neighbor. 

Sinar should hire McCann or Goodby and launch a real marketing campaign in the US and get people exposed to the Sinar DBs.  Just look at Blad's marketing as a guide!

Thierry is an amazing, amazing asset for Sinar.  Please give him a raise and a new assignment in New York or LA.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:22:57 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

thsinar

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2008, 03:49:42 pm »

I am not taking it too seriously, but I can't let even a "joke" stand on a public forum: there are many reading and thus inclined to believe what is written.
Therefore I beg for your understanding when I wish to correct such statements, even if meant as a joke.

I have been nowhere special, just in a place with no internet connection for a few days. I am actually in holidays, but still here daily, even if not "visible".

I am afraid that you won't see me in the "States" before long. I am responsible for the other half of the earth, not the western part. Still, you can find me here and on some other fotums and get my attention or help for any request.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

PS: forget about Mr., it makes me feel too old! Thierry is just fine

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212284\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:54:52 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Natasa Stojsic

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2008, 04:37:20 pm »

Thierry is an amazing, amazing asset for Sinar.  Please give him a raise and a new assignment in New York or LA.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second that
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

Yeah, maybe if Thierry came to the US, I'd actually be able to test a sinar back.  So far all my efforts have been futile as the only one dealer nearby, Calumet San Francisco, just seems to not care about Sinar.  Even when I have made appointments weeks in advance specifically to view and test the Sinar Hy6, they have not managed to have it there or ready, or have "forgotten" to charge the batteries.  But they always seem to be ready with the Leaf or Phase backs and even willing to let me take one to my studio for a day or two.  Why does Sinar get the cold shoulder?  Thierry I know you would fix this were you here!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:47:31 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2008, 11:17:29 am »

As a sinar owner I would comment..

Sinar are invisible in london too

They need to GIVE or LOAN 50 rigs to the rental shops - to get out there properly

(nikon seem to be loaning free D3s to every canon user I know)

The software

Exposure must be used to import and create DNGs - you dont just drag DNGs off the card

You do shoot DNGs when tethered with Exposure

In terms of using other software (C1) is my choice - (easy contact sheets) I dont know if many settings are passed though especially the color calibration or white correction (they dont even seem to pass ISO or aperture or lens choice)

I do my adjustments in C1 because I find Exposure unstable (maybe more RAM required) and becuase in C1 I can do both my Sinar and my nikon D3

So IMO there is an extra step

ps on the upside - It has been very stable reliable and takes nice images at base ISO so the actual user experience is positive

SMM
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:19:16 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2008, 11:18:41 am »

double post
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:19:49 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com