Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: L-L Guide to LR2 - Playback problem  (Read 41793 times)

rugydp

• http://rdp-photo.net
L-L Guide to LR2 - Playback problem
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:56:35 pm »

Hi there

Nice shirts as always...

But I have a problem with "LibraryRightPanel.mov". Quicktime and iTunes on OS X 10.5 hang immediately and do not respond anymore after opening or adding the file. Strangely, I can watch it with QuickLook (the space bar thingy when the file is selected in Finder...).

Every other file I've downloaded so far plays nicely.

Someone else with the same problems?

Thanx

rugydp
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:02:03 pm by rugydp »

Geoff Samuels

• http://web.me.com/geoffsamuels
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:27:37 pm »

Yes, I have the exactly same problem and bless you sir for pointing out that
"Quick Look" (on Macs) will play the segment (I don't think I would have tried that if
you hadn't mentioned it) - thanks!
Geoff Samuels
"World Domination Through

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:21:16 pm »

I will re-encode that video and re-upload it, however it will not be done until this coming weekend. I will post here when it is replaced.

rugydp

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:59:18 am »

Thank you, Chris

I will re-encode that video and re-upload it, however it will not be done until this coming weekend. I will post here when it is replaced.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211634\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

francois

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:58:55 am »

Hi there

Nice shirts as always...

But I have a problem with "LibraryRightPanel.mov". Quicktime and iTunes on OS X 10.5 hang immediately and do not respond anymore after opening or adding the file. Strangely, I can watch it with QuickLook (the space bar thingy when the file is selected in Finder...).

Every other file I've downloaded so far plays nicely.

Someone else with the same problems?

Thanx

rugydp
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
On my Macs it takes about 30-40 seconds before it loads and starts to play in Quicktime Player. During that time, QT Player is unresponsive.
Francois

rugydp

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:02:32 am »

Interesting, I waited about 2 minutes before killing Quicktime Player. I tried many times. Even bigger files opened flawlessly in a few seconds.

On my Macs it takes about 30-40 seconds before it loads and starts to play in Quicktime Player. During that time, QT Player is unresponsive.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rugydp

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:03:12 am »

*** Sorry, doublepost!! My browser got stuck ***
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:04:54 am by rugydp »

francois

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 03:31:22 am »

Interesting, I waited about 2 minutes before killing Quicktime Player. I tried many times. Even bigger files opened flawlessly in a few seconds.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just tried again and it somtimes it helps to double-click on the file again. My MacBook Pro opens the file in about 40 seconds but on my G5 it's more like the double.
Francois

rugydp

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:25:57 pm »

Chris, I seem to have the same problem with file number 29 - Print. I tried what francois suggested, and after about 4 minutes it was added to iTunes' film list. I then changed some information as I want all LL videos listed as TV shows in iTunes. Every access or change to those two files takes about 4 minutes for me.

I tried to save the file to a new location with Quicktime but it stops exporting after 4 minutes and 4 kb data written.

I would really like to know what causes this. And it would be great to have the files as separate downloads so we don't have download the full .zip files?

cheers

Photo Op

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:27:47 pm »

Chris, I seem to have the same problem with file number 29
cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto the file #29-Printing. Takes extremely long for Quicktime to play it, although most times it will. Curiously, its the only title that doesn't have the underscore in it.

--Dave
David

rugydp

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:48:27 pm »

More bad news:

I just took a chilled beer out of my fridge, home alone, free time for THE tutorial on my big TV screen at last. I'm used to watching the LL stuff with Apple's Front Row on my MacMini (no keyboard or mouse attached...).
And I'm afraid to tell you that all movies that have index or chapter markers (or whatever they are called) are not playing smoothly (I don't know the right english word for it, but you know what I mean). iTunes is even worse. Quicktime is okay.  

So now I have to attach a mouse and get up from my comfy chair after every movie and start the next one in quicktime... what a royal PITA

Why I know that it is because of the chapter markers? The introduction and wrap-up play nicely... but it's the in between that I'm interested in.

I tend to blame Apple for this not LL. I think that's fair. ;-) Why can Quicktime play it but not iTunes an FrontRow? What's wrong here?

Cheers, I'll get another beer...

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

Why can Quicktime play it but not iTunes an FrontRow? What's wrong here?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The files are designed for QT Player not for Apple TV or other device. You need to encode the files properly for use on an Apple TV via iTunes if that is what you are doing. All this has been covered extensively on the [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/videos/Dwnld_Video-faq.shtml]FAQ[/url]

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 04:09:54 pm »

Ditto the file #29-Printing. Takes extremely long for Quicktime to play it, although most times it will. Curiously, its the only title that doesn't have the underscore in it.

--Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Interesting that there have been these playback problems reported - and a couple of others by email. Anecdotally, it seems that G4 Macs are more affected (perhaps exclusively?) than Intel machines.

The H264 codec used for the video encoding is a CPU & RAM hog, that is for sure. So...

The best that I can suggest for Mac users is to reboot the computer (which I know you have done...) and then boot QuickTime Player as the first and only app running, then try to open the videos from within QT Player.
If you still have problems, boot Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) and check to see what the CPU & memory usage is. In theory, there should be very little else going on other than QT Player; if there is, it should be recognisable what else is hogging your CPU & RAM.

I will re-encode these few files on the weekend. Unfortunately there is no way to get them to you other than through the full packaged zip files of your order.

Chris

rugydp

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:28 pm »

The files are designed for QT Player not for Apple TV or other device.

Ah, ok. Thank you for clarifying this. Is this new for the Lightroom 2 tutorial? I didn't have problems watching your other tutorials and video journals with Front Row (and I bought all of them). It was always a very pleasing experience to watch it right after download. Re-encoding will take some more hours, but yes, at least it's an automatic process I can run through the night.

Thanx a lot Chris.

I just watched the first part and it's just great work as always. High quality, funny and interesting.

Greetings to all of you and I'm looking forward to LLVJ 18 ;-)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:44:06 pm by rugydp »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 05:53:10 pm »

Hmmm...I just tried #29 Print on iTunes and it paused, thought about it for a while and then played just fine. My guess is that on older machines, a file this size might overwhelm the CPU/RAM but on Intel it seems to work fine.

Photo Op

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 06:19:37 pm »

Hmmm...I just tried #29 Print on iTunes and it paused, thought about it for a while and then played just fine. My guess is that on older machines, a file this size might overwhelm the CPU/RAM but on Intel it seems to work fine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Chris- Note from my signature that I'm using a rather new MacPro Intel. I've not had the problem with any of the other segments that I've tried. Be that as it may, I would suggest that you might want to include anote somewhere on the download site when and which segments have been re-encoded.

Thanks-
David

francois

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 03:27:56 am »

Chris, I seem to have the same problem with file number 29 - Print. I tried what francois suggested, and after about 4 minutes it was added to iTunes' film list. I then changed some information as I want all LL videos listed as TV shows in iTunes. Every access or change to those two files takes about 4 minutes for me.

I tried to save the file to a new location with Quicktime but it stops exporting after 4 minutes and 4 kb data written.

I would really like to know what causes this. And it would be great to have the files as separate downloads so we don't have download the full .zip files?

cheers
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Have you tried to play the files with VLC ([a href=\"http://www.videolan.org/]here[/url]) instead of Quicktime Player? When I triy to open the problematic file (#4), it opens instantly, even on an old G4 iMac.
Francois

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 07:22:19 am »

Thanks Francois - sometimes I should follow my own FAQ advice    
VLC Player works very well with the files - the only thing missing is the Chapter markers.

francois

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 07:48:33 am »

Thanks Francois - sometimes I should follow my own FAQ advice   
VLC Player works very well with the files - the only thing missing is the Chapter markers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212001\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're welcome Chris. VLC is an often forgotten application.
Francois

Mike_Dougan

• http://www.thefieryscotsman.com
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 09:26:24 am »

I've also tried to play file No.4 (Right Panel) in Quick Time nothing happens.

3.06Ghz iMac......... However in preview it play's fine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up