Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 56 MP Leaf AFi10  (Read 82475 times)

dlew308

• http://my.photoshelter.com/dlew
56 MP Leaf AFi10
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:43:27 am »

yaya posted this on another forum:

http://www.leaf-photography.com/afi10
David Lew
my.photoshelter.com/dlew

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:02:22 am »

Wow, I think I'm going to just keel over from the shock of it. I'm so used to medium format manufacturers making an announcement once every few years, now there are so many new announcements this year, I can't handle it!  

1. PhaseOne 645 Camera.
2. Hasselblad H3DII-50
3. Hasselblad HTS 1.5
4. Hasselblad View Camera Adapter
5. PhaseOne P65+
6. (expected Hasselblad 645 full frame announcement at PhotoKina)
7. Now the Leaf AFi 10!

What about #8 - next one to drop the other shoe is Sinar maybe?

Boris_Epix

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:02:31 am »

2:3 ratio on a MFDB.

Isn't that an answer to a question that was never asked?  :-)

The internal sensor vertical/horizontal switching hower seems nice if it's reliable over time and can take some abuse. And certainly the viewfinder mask would need to automatically display the active cropping area (think Mamiya RZ67) which I assume it does not.

yaya

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:04 am »

It's kind of funny how Dalsa has developed special sensors for Phase and now for Leaf. I wonder what differently shaped or sized sensor they will have for Sinar.

Wouldn't costs on the sensor fab and hence MFDBs come down if they just made one sensor version and made a lot of them for all the back makers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's more to sensor's design than just "how you cut the cake"....

hubell

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:02:24 pm »

Very innovative. I also have a hunch that the new Leaf back will have a new, high resolution LCD.

yaya

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:32:40 pm »

2:3 ratio on a MFDB.

Isn't that an answer to a question that was never asked?  :-)

The answer to that might be the Golden Ratio...with all the recent talk about the RED, 14:9 is going to give new visuals...

The internal sensor vertical/horizontal switching hower seems nice if it's reliable over time and can take some abuse.
We've had this technology since 1998 without any known issues. I've tried the new mechanism and it is rock solid

And certainly the viewfinder mask would need to automatically display the active cropping area (think Mamiya RZ67) which I assume it does not.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's an orientation icon displayed in the viewfinder plus a marker on the mount itself.

Yair

bryanyc

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:35:18 pm »

Well, this is very interesting and I have been waiting for Leaf's reply to Phase.  Now we know why Leaf didn't come out with a rotating back like Sinar.

I wonder how durable and accurate this swiveling mechanism is.

Still only 1 minute exposures.  Why is Phase able to pull such longer exposures out: is it a software thing- or what??  The leaf has active cooling.

I wonder why they dribble out the info: they must know the entire specs by now.  I wish they would produce a dng file, that would be so smart.  Not to mention a jpg alongside the raw.  Oh well, I must be crazy for wanting such things, and thinking how useful they would be for workflow and being future proof.

Here's hoping the screen is better (another crazy desire!)

TMARK

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:36:14 pm »

The answer to that might be the Golden Ratio...with all the recent talk about the RED, 14:9 is going to give new visuals...
We've had this technology since 1998 without any known issues. I've tried the new mechanism and it is rock solid
There's an orientation icon displayed in the viewfinder plus a marker on the mount itself.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211452\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It looks awesome . . .

How about the LCD?  And how about the . . . GULP . . . price, in USD?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:38:56 pm »

It looks awesome . . .

How about the LCD?  And how about the . . . GULP . . . price, in USD?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now get us a price closer to the 30k than phase and you will win a lot of customers ;-)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

jimgolden

• http://
56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:39:38 pm »

What about #8 - next one to drop the other shoe is Sinar maybe?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211423\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what about Sinar arTec? also alpa max, cambo RS, acra XXX, etc, etc...

funny how very few of these machines are solving the core problems we all talk about. ISO range, stability, LCD, pricing, etc...

jimgolden

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 12:48:23 pm »

altho - AFi 10 is solving 2 big ones in my mind - sensor rotation and ISO range (sorta) 50-800!?!
however, @ the price of 6x6 pixels and 3:2 is a little weird for MFDB...hmm

gwhitf

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 12:52:34 pm »

I can't imagine that Canon and Nikon have overlooked that "Golden Ratio" marketing approach, with their 2x3 proportions. Shame on them. I guess the landscape guys will love the Leaf proportion; as for the vertical people guys, well, again they get left out in the cold.

Everyone thought Leaf would be the first to bring out a square sensor; instead they head toward the Canon shape. Wow.

Let's hope that everyone remembers to look up and check that icon in the viewfinder for every frame -- there's nothing like shooting a full-page vertical job with the back set on horizontal. I know -- I've done it with the Fuji 680, before the version III viewfinder actually used metal blades to change the viewfinder.

Still, I hope it works for you, Yair. Good luck.

All this time, I always thought GoldenRatio was 4x5 proportions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:54:02 pm by gwhitf »

bryanyc

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 12:55:22 pm »

I can't imagine that Canon and Nikon have overlooked that "Golden Ratio" marketing approach, with their 2x3 proportions. Shame on them. I guess the landscape guys will love the Leaf proportion; as for the vertical people guys, well, again they get left out in the cold.

Everyone thought Leaf would be the first to bring out a square sensor; instead they head toward the Canon shape. Wow.

Let's hope that everyone remembers to look up and check that icon in the viewfinder for every frame -- there's nothing like shooting a full-page vertical job with the back set on horizontal. I know -- I've done it with the Fuji 680, before the version III viewfinder actually used metal blades to change the viewfinder.

Still, I hope it works for you, Yair. Good luck.

All this time, I always thought GoldenRatio was 4x5 proportions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211468\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

there is that slight difference in that you can see the image orientation on the back  

Tomcat

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 01:11:37 pm »

Now get us a price closer to the 30k than phase and you will win a lot of customers ;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211457\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My Leaf rep told me that the Afi 10 will be $40k with the camera body, but no lens.  He said they will have trade-in prices for my old back, but those have not been set yet.

He also told me there will be an Aptus 10 too.  That one will be $35k.  No lens, but I already have those!

jimgolden

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 01:23:39 pm »

My Leaf rep told me that the Afi 10 will be $40k with the camera body, but no lens.  He said they will have trade-in prices for my old back, but those have not been set yet.

He also told me there will be an Aptus 10 too.  That one will be $35k.  No lens, but I already have those!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

these prices are insane....

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 01:27:39 pm »

I can't imagine that Canon and Nikon have overlooked that "Golden Ratio" marketing approach, with their 2x3 proportions. Shame on them.

Maybe becouse it's not really a golden ratio, and maybe becouse golden ratio absolutely doesn't matter in case of frame proportion
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:28:23 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

flashfredrikson

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:15 pm »

Nice idea with the rotating chip, really. But TrueWideFormat, WTF??? Ok I see, Leaf doesn't want us fashion shooters, the editorial guys and every body else who mainly does not shoot wide... A pitty as I really like the Hy6. But as there still is some time until photokina I'll keep my fingers crossed for a nice 30 MP fullframe back (TrueFull645SuperFrame!)

cheers,
martin

ivokwee

• http://www.fotoclublugano.com/~ivo/portfolio
56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 01:48:37 pm »

It's kind of funny how Dalsa has developed special sensors for Phase and now for Leaf. I wonder what differently shaped or sized sensor they will have for Sinar.

Wouldn't costs on the sensor fab and hence MFDBs come down if they just made one sensor version and made a lot of them for all the back makers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

wasn't Leaf bought up by Kodak? Why don't they use Kodak sensors then?

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 02:06:27 pm »

My Leaf rep told me that the Afi 10 will be $40k with the camera body, but no lens.  He said they will have trade-in prices for my old back, but those have not been set yet.

He also told me there will be an Aptus 10 too.  That one will be $35k.  No lens, but I already have those!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just say "no".  May the first MF back manufacturer to get a grip and price sensibly clean up.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

E_Edwards

56 MP Leaf AFi10
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 02:23:25 pm »

Well, this format should help with double page spreads and I think that little by little we are all heading towards a more panoramic view of the world, most screens are now becoming wide, the Internet is therefore seen on wider shaped windows, then there is the video related work, also wide. I do like the wide format, it gives images a different and sometimes more important dimension, though like everything, it could be a fad that will last a few years.

In the meantime, why not capitalise on it.

I am interested, and would consider buying one, so long as other things have been sorted out, like fast and sharp live view, not too noisy high ISO, fast tethering, etc, etc. Chip size is no longer as important as it used to be.

I like the idea of the internal rotation of the chip a lot!.

To me, the ideal chip would be 6x7 on a camera like the RZ but with full front and rear movements.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:32:12 pm by E_Edwards »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up