Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large print question: MFDB with 28mm  (Read 3338 times)

Hägar the horrible

• http://www.andidietrich.com
Large print question: MFDB with 28mm
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:04:44 pm »

Hi,

I need to do a couple of large prints, so I' ll have to rent a MF camera, 28mm and back. Normaly I would just take a H and a CF 39.

Problem is, this set up may not be available all working days and I need to look at the Mamyia probably with Aptus 65 back and 28mm

Mixing the two systems, do you think I will see a noticable difference between the H and the Mamy? I dont know the Mamy 28mm. Distortion? Prints size is > 2.4 x 3.6 m.

Thanks for advice

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:41:05 pm »

Hi,

I need to do a couple of large prints, so I' ll have to rent a MF camera, 28mm and back. Normaly I would just take a H and a CF 39.

Problem is, this set up may not be available all working days and I need to look at the Mamyia probably with Aptus 65 back and 28mm

Mixing the two systems, do you think I will see a noticable difference between the H and the Mamy? I dont know the Mamy 28mm. Distortion? Prints size is > 2.4 x 3.6 m.

Thanks for advice
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Mamiya 28 is thought to be quite good by posters on other threads here...

watch out for the crop factor of the A65, you will lose some wide. Perhaps you'd be better off with the A75?  of  Phase P45?
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

hubell

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:00:13 pm »

I am yet to see any sort of comparison of the Hasselblad 28mm lens v. the Mamiya. The samples from the Mamiya 28 mm that I have seen appear quite soft in the corners. If you do rent both,  please share your experiences.

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:22:09 am »

I've heard from several people that on 48X36 backs the Mamiya 28 is soft at the corners and that the Hasselblad 28 is razor sharp throughout.

stewarthemley

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:13:50 am »

I have the H3D39 and one of the lenses I use most is the 28mm. I have compared the M 28 with the H and the H is marginally better. Its NOT razor sharp throughout - at least the three that I tried and the one that I own weren't - but it is better wide open at the corners. But it's close. At f5.6 it sharpens up nicely and seems best at about f10. I only use it wide open if I have to, and then only if I can crop the corners out. Because the H system controls distortion so well, just about perfectly, I found I noticed the M lens slightly weaker in that respect.

You may find owners of the Mamiya saying completely the opposite so, depending on your budget/time/etc constraints you really should try both for yourself. Good luck.

EDIT: forgot to say, just love your forum name!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:18:29 am by stewarthemley »

michele

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:35:14 am »

I'm in the same problem... Both 28 Hassy and Mamy are not good enough in the corners. An other problem is that the sensors will be all full format in 2 years, so you need a riable sistem; Hasselblad will announce a 6x4,5 full format back, the Hassy 28 doesn't cover the full format: short life (maybe an upgrade police? but what about the quality?) Mamiya does a full 28 format, but it's very very soft at the corners... I suggest you to go with cambo, you can mount on it every short digital schneider or rodenstock lenses... And if you buy a Phase back, you can have the Cambo wide ds with the beautiful Digitar 24 for around the same price of the 28mm Mamiya... Of course no AF, no mirror ecc. ecc., ah and don't forget that Hasselblad digital lenses are cheaper than mamiya digital lenses...very weird

Hägar the horrible

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 05:28:58 am »

Thanks all

No H3, all are taken. So its the Mamiya, I am not scared by corner softness when the quality is here otherwise.

I still have the choice between a p30/p45 and the aptus 33mp back, I suppose all these backs would do the job and I am going to take the system which is free all the days I need it. I ll have my briefing only tomorrow.

michaelnotar

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:51:12 pm »

how about the back on a cambo wds with either a 35mm or 24mm schneider digitar lens, tack sharp, the body and each lens should run you about $125 day.

Hägar the horrible

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 07:41:35 am »

I have a p30 for my own Hasselblad with 40 and 50mm for my first day. Probably I can find a H2 and a P30 with 35mm for the next week. There is a fat chance that I need to do some stitching anyway so in a way lens angle and resolution is not the problem any more.

Aug. 1. is a holiday in Switzerland and it seems that finding gear for rent is difficult because people can get a back for 3 days for the bill of 1 day only.

Thanks

hauxon

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:13:22 am »

Thanks all

No H3, all are taken. So its the Mamiya, I am not scared by corner softness when the quality is here otherwise.

I still have the choice between a p30/p45 and the aptus 33mp back, I suppose all these backs would do the job and I am going to take the system which is free all the days I need it. I ll have my briefing only tomorrow.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well if you rent the 28mm Mamiya lens and P30 back the corners will not be included in the image anyway, so no need to worry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up