Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamrac Expedition 8X or 7X camera bag  (Read 4929 times)

Khurram

Tamrac Expedition 8X or 7X camera bag
« on: July 27, 2008, 01:54:53 pm »

I'm looking at getting a bigger bag for hiking, but am having a trouble finding a bag that is airline compliant and can hold the gear i want.

My main issue is Depth of the bags that are available.   I need a bag that I can have two bodies (1DIII and a 5D with vertical grip and RRS L plates attached), in the bag with lenses attached.  THe issue I have is that the height of the camera and caemra/vertical grip (in the 5D's case) is around 6 1/2" to 6 3/4".    However most bags have a depth between 6 and 6.5 inches.  I also want to be able to carry a laptop when flying.

There are 3 bags i considered:
-Tamrac Expedition 8x
-Lowepro Vertex 300
-Tenba Shootout Large

The Tenba and the Lowepro are the only one's available in town.  I had actually purchased teh Tenba as my eqipment fit perfectly and i also liked the side pockets that you can access the main compartment.  Unfortunately, the day I brought it home the zipper for the main compartment broke.  I wasn't impressed with the workmanship, so i ended up returning it.

I considered the Lowepro Vertex 300, as according to Lowepro's specs, the bag is supposed to have a depth of 6.5".  However, the actual depth at the bag of the bag is around 5 1/4 inches.  For some reason the top of the bag is deeper then the bottem, so that bag was out.

The only other choice I have is the Tamrac Expedition 8x. However neither Vistek nor The Camera store carry it (the two major stores in Calgary), so my only option is to order it from B&H or Adorama, so I won't actually be able to see if my equipment fits.

I'd apreciate some advice from those that have the Tamrac Expedition 8x bag (or the Expedition 7x, since it has the same depth) whether the 5D with the battery grip/RRS L plate and 16-35L II attached, along with the the EOS 1DIII, with an RRS L plate and 24-105L will fit in the bag.  The width and lenght seem perfect my main concern is whether the depth of the bag (6 1/4 inches) is going to be an issue when the height of the camera's are 6 1/2 inches.  Will the pentaprism be sticking out too much at the top and put the camera's at risk ???    

Will the bag close OK considering that the camera's are higher then the body  ???
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

timescapes

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 11:49:23 pm »

I have the biggest Expedition 5588.

http://www.tamrac.com/5588.htm

The exact inside and outside measurements are available at the tamrac site, but I can tell you that this bag has tons of room.  There is also quite a bit of "play" in the bag, meaning that you can add an inch or two to whatever they claim, because it's not a hard case.  The laptop compartment is huge and should accommodate any laptop I have ever seen.  You can move around the compartments inside to accommodate two bodies.

Really fantastic and solid bag.  I just purchased the extra-large side bags for it from adorama, hoping I can stuff my sleeping bag into one, food and other junk into the other.    

You might want to check the online retailer's return policy, in case the bag just doesn't work out for you.  I'd call and ask them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:50:14 pm by timescapes »

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:25:35 am »

I have the biggest Expedition 5588.

http://www.tamrac.com/5588.htm

The exact inside and outside measurements are available at the tamrac site, but I can tell you that this bag has tons of room.  There is also quite a bit of "play" in the bag, meaning that you can add an inch or two to whatever they claim, because it's not a hard case.  The laptop compartment is huge and should accommodate any laptop I have ever seen.  You can move around the compartments inside to accommodate two bodies.

Really fantastic and solid bag.  I just purchased the extra-large side bags for it from adorama, hoping I can stuff my sleeping bag into one, food and other junk into the other.   

You might want to check the online retailer's return policy, in case the bag just doesn't work out for you.  I'd call and ask them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for your reply.  I'm pretty sure that the bag is large enough to hold my gear.  The only concern I have is whether or not two bodies with lenses attached to a 5D with grip and 1DIII can be placed in the camera (the way it is in the photo on the link you provided.  The reason I'm concerned is that the height of my bodies standing is 6.5" and 6.7" (with RRS L plates attached).  However, the Tamrac specs list the depth of the bag as being 6.25" inches.  I'm just concerned whether there will be an issue of having the Pentaprism/hotshoe sticking up a bit and whether there will be any issues zipping up the bag if the tops of the cameras are sticking up a bit.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:12:53 am »

I'm just concerned whether there will be an issue of having the Pentaprism/hotshoe sticking up a bit and whether there will be any issues zipping up the bag if the tops of the cameras are sticking up a bit.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a serious issue, and it's not about being able to close the bag. The latest advice I've seen from road warrior photographers is to place the camera bodies sideways in a rolling bag or backpack. The prism is too fragile to take the brunt of an impact when the bag is dropped (or worse, if you end up having to check it.)

I know you want to have lenses attached, but given the realities of airline travel with camera gear, you may have to make some compromises. Sorry.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up