Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF digital lens shutters - any better options?  (Read 2834 times)

narikin

MF digital lens shutters - any better options?
« on: July 27, 2008, 10:57:41 am »

Been looking over a new camera outfit, putting my digiback onto an Alpa Max / Cambo Wide / Horseman, and am impressed by all the wonderful digital lens choice out there, BUT not by the shutters which seem to be the same Copals from the 1950/60's basically - am I missing something here? -  is there an effective solution for these lenses that is a quiet modern shutter - self cocking, 1/500 min speed, 99% repeatability, electronic release - not a manual plunger!

why are people with $40,000 outfits putting up with a hand cocked Copal that has been unchanged in 3+ decades?! my Mamiya 7's of yore had wonderful quiet electronic shutters in their lenses that worked perfectly, and I used to have 2 lenses with modern Prontor Professional shutters, which were a step in the right direction, being self cocking, but they had much slower max speeds, so no good for street / handheld work.

is there an electronic option I'm missing? from what little I know of the big Rollei/Horseman hi tech shutters they seem to have large controllers that negate easy street/location use, but maybe there's another option - anyone?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:18:45 am by narikin »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 04:34:26 pm »

I've kind of wondered the same thing, I use copal press shutters with my digitars and they are great self cocking shutters but the same thing was around like 40 years ago (older than me!)  

Which brings us to the alternative of the schneider or rollei electronic shutters which need the control unit and cost around $1300 each.  Sinar has the CAB and CMV lenses which work with the p3 or f3 (  I think) but it requires the m module ($8k) to use untethered.  

I just dont think the market is big enough to release something between the $200 copals and the $1300 schneiders.  I could be wrong, but its probably the case.

narikin

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:15:23 am »

it seems not, but I'm surprised that ALPA with all it lens investment doesnt see a way to differentiate itself by re-invigorating the Pronto Professional S range updated for their optics - it was much superior to Copal. (though more $ of course)

Or maybe bringing back the electronic version? - surely this would open up some clear air between them and other lens/shutter solutions on offer. Electronic times, electric release, self cocking, 1/1000 top speed - a real improvement.

(no, I'm not dreaming - these were around with Super Speed Graphics 40 years ago, so... we're going backwards!)

pixjohn

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:41:48 pm »

I have been selling all my Prontor Professional S because Cambo would not mount them on the Wide DS. I hated to sell them.  The Prontor would have made multi pop with a Leaf back much easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up