Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Arca-Swiss Rm3D arrived  (Read 30497 times)

yaya

New Arca-Swiss Rm3D arrived
« on: July 27, 2008, 03:30:26 am »

Thought I'll use this opportunity to post some initial views of this new and interesting camera.

+20mm front rise (geared)
-5mm front fall (geared)
10mm left/right back shift (manual, smooth)

Viewfinder can be mounted vertically or horizontally and has a magnetic mask that can slide to show the shifts:

35mm Digitar sits in a circular "lens board" that fits into the focus "drum" so no special mounting required. The lens board has a custom bayonet fitting that goes into the drum accurately and securely.

It can take the Rotaslide sliding back although I don't know what's the widest lens that can be used with that.
AFi mount is in final testing and currently there's the other 4 adapters available.

This is one of the first production units so I'm sure more info will be available soon

I've only had a chance to play with it shortly and to take some back garden shots with an Aptus 75S. I'm hoping to find some more time in the next few days and will post some images.

Contact for prices

Yair

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 06:24:08 am »

Looks like the Sinar arTec stole the show?
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:02:17 pm »

The Arca-Swiss has one huge advantage over the arTec - it accepts all of the manufacturers backs.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

narikin

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:17:35 pm »

interesting viewfinder - do they sell that alone?

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 12:40:03 pm »

Thought I'll use this opportunity to post some initial views of this new and interesting camera.
Hello Yair. Is there a link for downloading a product brochure, PDF, etc. I've seen the PDF that has been circulating for what seems like years now, so I'm not looking for that. Hopefully they've actually put out a real product brochure to go along with the real (finally) camera.

Also, I'm intrigued with the lens mount. It sounds like the focus mechanism is part of the body, not part of the lens. Is that right? And it sounds like you can purchase any Schneider or Rodenstock lenses and screw them into the lens board yourself, without requiring a custom lens plate, like Alpa or Cambo. Is that right?

Regards,
Mort.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

yaya

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »

Hello Yair. Is there a link for downloading a product brochure, PDF, etc. I've seen the PDF that has been circulating for what seems like years now, so I'm not looking for that. Hopefully they've actually put out a real product brochure to go along with the real (finally) camera.

Also, I'm intrigued with the lens mount. It sounds like the focus mechanism is part of the body, not part of the lens. Is that right? And it sounds like you can purchase any Schneider or Rodenstock lenses and screw them into the lens board yourself, without requiring a custom lens plate, like Alpa or Cambo. Is that right?

Regards,
Mort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210999\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mort,

As far as I know they are currently working or re-doing a lot of their marketing collateral, website and so on. I would guess that it'll all be ready sometime this summer, before Photokina.

The lens mount: I've taken the lens off its board and I can see no shims or anything...it's a simple copal shutter with the only difference being the angled PC socket and the magnetic crown for the cable release. Each lens will still need its own lens board but you don't have to send it off to be re-mounted into a helical mount.

The mounts for the viewfinder and the tripod plate can also fit the monorail of the F-line (you flip the camera upside-down), with bellows etc. Also there are 3 circular spirit levels at the top, side and bottom. The GG is the same one that fits onto the Rotaslide sliding back.

I would suggest to get in touch with one of the Arca dealers as they surely will have more information as and when it becomes available.

BR

Yair

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 01:28:13 pm »

PERFECT!  I want one NOW!!!!  Contact me ASAP!

Thanks,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

fuzzyfoto

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 01:35:25 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210942\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you're kidding, right?

the artec is not compatible with all d backs and not everyone likes to work with a sliding back. no doubt that the alpa max is still the camera to beat.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 01:41:24 pm »

you're kidding, right?

the artec is not compatible with all d backs and not everyone likes to work with a sliding back. no doubt that the alpa max is still the camera to beat.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FYI, the Alpa Max is a very large form factor and does not have tilts.  This and the Sinar look more compact and do have tilts.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:45:02 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

fuzzyfoto

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 02:01:38 pm »

FYI, the Alpa Max is a very large form factor and does not have tilts.  This and the Sinar look more compact and do have tilts.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the alpa max is larger than the artec and the arca but it's not very large at all. it's still capable of being handheld. and fyi: alpa does make a tilt adapter.  all of the shifts on the alpa are done on the back which favors very precise stitching. besides, there's a huge lens selection for alpa products and lenses that you purchase for one alpa camera will be compatible with other alpa cameras.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 02:09:08 pm »

the alpa max is larger than the artec and the arca but it's not very large at all. it's still capable of being handheld. and fyi: alpa does make a tilt adapter.  all of the shifts on the alpa are done on the back which favors very precise stitching. besides, there's a huge lens selection for alpa products and lenses that you purchase for one alpa camera will be compatible with other alpa cameras.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Front Rise/Fall combined wirh rear shift is an ideal configuration for me -- best of both practical architectural applications and panoramic stitching worlds.  Can you give a link to the Alpa tilt adapter?
Jack

fuzzyfoto

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 02:21:13 pm »

Can you give a link to the Alpa tilt adapter?

alpa had a prototype at the last nyc expo. the production unit will probably be at photokina - but i don't know for sure.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 02:43:01 pm »

FYI, the Alpa Max is a very large form factor and does not have tilts.  This and the Sinar look more compact and do have tilts.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Sinar is 10.6" wide when looking through the ground glass, but with the digital back slid into place, it is about 15" wide, much wider than the other two cameras.  If you're shooting a small interior space, trying to get the camera in a doorway, or right up next to something, it's a bit wide.

Sinar ArTec:  10.6"  wide,   7.5" tall,    2.75" thick.
Alpa MAX:   7" wide,         8" tall,       1.25" thick.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:52:50 pm by ericstaud »

Natasa Stojsic

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 02:50:44 pm »

alpa had a prototype at the last nyc expo. the production unit will probably be at photokina - but i don't know for sure.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211025\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the truth... I know they have made the tilt/shift adapter   Now, when is going to be released
for sale... not sure, that is up to ALPA.....

I've seen so many variations of Arca/Cambo/Sinar/Horseman/etc. using Alpa theme, but still can't agree that any of these products will be or are more compact/interchangeable/better..... long term especially!!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:19:40 pm by Natasa Stojsic »
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

ericstaud

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 02:55:21 pm »

Can you give a link to the Alpa tilt adapter?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Q4 2008.  Alpa has been very good in recent years announcing general release dates and meeting those targets.

[a href=\"http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products/lenses/lens_adapters_ii_&detailpage=274]http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products...&detailpage=274[/url]

ericstaud

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 03:01:10 pm »

+20mm front rise (geared)
-5mm front fall (geared)
10mm left/right back shift (manual, smooth)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210936\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

5mm fall and 10mm shifts is rather limiting.  A 15mm side to side shift would allow 2 vertical  frames to be stitched to the same proportion of the Phase P45 chip with enough overlap for safety.

I would hope one could overcome the small 5mm fall by flipping the camera upside down or something.

jonstewart

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 03:10:04 pm »

Front Rise/Fall combined wirh rear shift is an ideal configuration for me -- best of both practical architectural applications and panoramic stitching worlds.  Can you give a link to the Alpa tilt adapter?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211022\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Surely the movement in both direction on the back, rather than movement of the lens, would be a better, more comprehensively usable and precise method?

As regards sliding backs - what if we had more backs with a much better liveview for composition? Would a sliding back be as desirable / useful / necessary?

(I use a sliding back, but think that not using one might be simpler!)

Thanks
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

fuzzyfoto

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 03:12:57 pm »

tx for finding the link re: alpa's shift adapter ericstaud!  and for stating what i was about to state regarding arca's limited fall and shifts.

http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products...&detailpage=274

Natasa Stojsic

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 03:14:22 pm »

I think we all agree that as far as the size is concerned, ALPA is the only camera that you can place on the palm of your hand.... and REMEMBER use LF LENSES!!!

Don't get me wrong.... Arca/Cambo/Sinar/Horseman/etc. cameras are great... and I appreciate
their effort but you are stuck with the/one size and expensive lenses!!!

Practically with Alpa, you can use your King size ALPA in the filed and use the baby ALPA as you would use canon G9 on the streets/restaurant/museums/churches/mosks/tomb/etc.
and again remember all that with LF Lenses/60MP/etc.

Obviously in LF World... it doesn't get more practical/convenient/better than that  !!!

So far I don't have any doubts, my only problem with ALPA is PRICE!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:18:05 pm by Natasa Stojsic »
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

fuzzyfoto

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 03:38:08 pm »

correct jonstewart: you do get better precision with back movement rather than lens movement. this is especially critical when stitching.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up