Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR stored on ext disk and run from two computers  (Read 1399 times)

berbig

• http://www.bigtonfoto.no/
LR stored on ext disk and run from two computers
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:04:15 am »

I was tired of exporting catalogues, and trying to keep track of which files was stored on what computer. My solution on this problem was to store the files and folders  (Lightroom.Ircat and the folders Lightroom Previews.lrdata and the folder which contains my images) on an external HD.
I now start LR from my ext HD by double clicking on the Lightroom.IRcat. It seems to work fine as long as the computer has LR installed. This way I can operate LR from my two computers without thinking on exporting and syncronizing folders. But, is there any risk that my LR catalogue can be corupt?

Bernt
Bernt Bigton
Norway www.bigtonfoto.no

Victoria Bampton

• Lightroom Queen
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:10:42 pm »

Standard rules apply - make regular backups, don't disconnect the drives while LR is running, and it'll generally runs a bit slower than internal drives, but no, the theory works fine.  There can be a bit more hassle relinking files if your drive letters change, so I'd assign the same letters on both computers personally.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:10:57 pm by Victoria Bampton »
Victoria
[url=http://www.lightroomqueen.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:50:03 pm »

I've been doing this for about a year and a half and had one instance of a corrupt catalog probably caused by a faulty installation on one machine. Since reinstalling LR on that laptop there's been no difficulties since. I ended up repairing the catalog by running the the optimise option rather than using my backup.
So back up regularly.
BTW, I'm on my second USB harddrive. Just transferred my catalog and previews and settings folder onto the new drive. As the thumbnails are in the catalog, I can view them anytime, and if I want to work on the images I just plug in the first drive and LR finds the images immediately.
When I'm travelling the drive goes in my coat pocket with the backup on my laptop.
Cheers, David
Pages: [1]   Go Up