Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Norwegian Stave Church  (Read 3596 times)

berbig

• http://www.bigtonfoto.no/
Old Norwegian Stave Church
« on: July 26, 2008, 09:31:02 am »

[attachment=7610:attachment]

This is Rødven Stave Church, which was build in the 13th century.
I would be glad for any suggestions on how to improve the picture.

Bernt

Bernt Bigton Photography
Bernt Bigton
Norway www.bigtonfoto.no

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:42:24 am »

Well, I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but with the perspective and WA lens, my first thought was that it looks like a doll house...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

popnfresh

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:06:03 pm »

It's a potentially cheery postcard landscape, marred by a dark and foreboding sky. It needs fluffy white clouds punctuating a blue sky.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:36:03 pm »

Seems to feature the dismal side of the near church.  Dunno if one could rotate around to feature more of the graveyard side.

BruceHouston

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:51:16 pm »

It's a potentially cheery postcard landscape, marred by a dark and foreboding sky. It needs fluffy white clouds punctuating a blue sky.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211196\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Beautiful composition of a story-book landscape.  I agree that the same shot with a happy sky would be outstanding.

Pete JF

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:27 pm »

Happy sky?

I'm not sure...blue skies puncuated by puffy clouds are a dime a dozen..he came a upon a good situation here because the grey of the sky pops the color in his sunlit subject area.

I get way tired of the color blue after looking at a bunch of landscape images, it's so limiting as a member of a palette in a dominant, large area, like a sky. IMO the grey sky works perfectly here.

I like the subtle miniaturization of the buildings and I love seeing that quaint little cemetary on the flank of building, charming.

I also enjoy the other building on the left. There is a figurative quality to it (even without the obvious face on the facade) and the two trees on either side of it add something humorous to it's presence..

these buildings have a funny relationship the way you've photographed them.

nice job and i think you found a good personal spot to plop your camera down on.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:37:57 pm by Pete JF »

Pete JF

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:20 pm »

Second thoughts..I've always felt that a gray sky offers a ton of chances to play with your color.

Right now in your image it's a cool gray sky. You could play around with the general feel of that sky and try to get it to start interacting with the colors in your image...cool it udown, neutralize it, warm it up...that's up to you.

always a lot of options for getting a gray sky to start complementing the other parts of an image...most gray skies aren't even gray so why limit things. a color image should speak about color and use of color.

try a color range slection, clean it up in quick mask, smooth or slightly expand and feather the selection and then start playing with the various color tool options in PS..levels can work nicely in the various channels...hue saturation in the hue slider..be subtle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up