Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving folders from laptop to external HD  (Read 1436 times)

NickJB

moving folders from laptop to external HD
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:17:01 pm »

Apologies in advance for a stupid question. I seem to have forgotten how LR works (damn getting old....). Every time I do this it seems to be messier than it should be.

Shoot on location. Import images to folder in Pictures on laptop (I'm on a Mac). Keyword and rename files on Import. Probably do a little rating and even a test Develop on one or two.

Back to the studio. I need to move the Folder, and maybe rename it, to my desktop external hard drive, keeping the LR catalog and preview files pointing to the files at their new location, on the external HD, where I'll be working from now on. I don't want to delete the folder of files off my laptop just yet though. I want to wait till I've done a second or third back-up onto a secondary external HD or DVD, which may not happen for a day or two.

What should I be doing in the Folders panel of the Library module? I don't want to re-import the files, which is what I currently seem to be asking LR to do.

Thanks for suggestions or links to past threads appreciated.

cheers!

nick

john beardsworth

• My photography site
moving folders from laptop to external HD
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 04:06:56 am »

The key to making it easy is File > Export as Catalog on the laptop and File > Import as Catalog on the desktop - see this thread yesterday.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up