Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Geotagging shots  (Read 4248 times)

andyptak

Geotagging shots
« on: July 24, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

I'm going on a 5000 mile road trip and even though I'll keep notes, I know that I'm going to lose track of what was shot where.

So I'm looking into Geotagging devices. I've found a couple that are reasonably priced and should do the job, I particularly like the Sony unit. However, these things only work on JPEG's and I shoot RAW. I could set my camera to shoot both JPEG and RAW, but does anybody know how I would transfer the data from the JPEG to my RAW file?

As you may have guessed, I'm only semi digitally literate so if this question seems stupid I apologize in advance.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Geotagging shots
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:31:12 pm »

vandevanterSH

Geotagging shots
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:21:52 pm »

I'm going on a 5000 mile road trip and even though I'll keep notes, I know that I'm going to lose track of what was shot where.

So I'm looking into Geotagging devices. I've found a couple that are reasonably priced and should do the job, I particularly like the Sony unit. However, these things only work on JPEG's and I shoot RAW. I could set my camera to shoot both JPEG and RAW, but does anybody know how I would transfer the data from the JPEG to my RAW file?

As you may have guessed, I'm only semi digitally literate so if this question seems stupid I apologize in advance.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another link:

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26684]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=26684[/url]

stever

Geotagging shots
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:45:41 am »

i still haven't figured out which of these things to get, but i don't see what the problem with RAW should be.  i think the GPS coordinates should go right into LR.  could also use Downloader Pro.  

am i wrong about this?

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Geotagging shots
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 11:17:32 am »

I have the Sony geotagging GPS. It works relatively well -- I use it primarily when I'm location scouting. Actually, it WILL work with RAW files, just not using the Sony software (at least that I found). What geotagging is really all about is syncing camera time (image capture time) and GPS log together and then embedding (or with an XMP sidecar) the coordinates. If you use a PC, some good programs that will combine the two is BreezeBrowser and Downloader Pro. The downside is that you need internet access in order to create the map (Google Maps). Downloader will allow you to correct for time differentials between camera and GPS. As I mentioned, I've used it with both JPG and RAW files. I haven't found a really good and easy workflow for offline. For US mapping, I use the DeLorme maps and I'd love to figure out how to combine those so I don't have to go online.
Pages: [1]   Go Up