Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas is making me trade up  (Read 6761 times)

DotCom Editor

Canvas is making me trade up
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:37:55 pm »

I'm very happy with my 24-inch HP Z3100. But I'm getting rid of it. And I'm replacing it with the 44-inch version -- which I regret not buying in the first place.

Here's my thinking: When I print on canvas, it's necessary to allow two inches top and bottom for wrapping and stapling. That means the largest canvas print can be no more than 20 inches on the short side. That's just not big enough for "living room art," which is what I'm being asked for most often. (I'm not a full-time pro, but I do sell quite a lot.) With the 44-inch model, I can make a canvas that up to 40 inches on the shorter side, plenty big. A canvas measuring 40 inches x 60 inches certainly makes more of an impact.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:55:10 pm »

I'm in the same sea of regrets with my 7800.  Dry mounting or glue mounting canvas reclaims some of those lost inches, but it's a lot more work.  Awaiting the 9900.  Big Art has made some inroads in recent years, best to be prepared.

nfguy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:57:10 pm »

I'm very happy with my 24-inch HP Z3100. But I'm getting rid of it. And I'm replacing it with the 44-inch version -- which I regret not buying in the first place.

Here's my thinking: When I print on canvas, it's necessary to allow two inches top and bottom for wrapping and stapling. That means the largest canvas print can be no more than 20 inches on the short side. That's just not big enough for "living room art," which is what I'm being asked for most often. (I'm not a full-time pro, but I do sell quite a lot.) With the 44-inch model, I can make a canvas that up to 40 inches on the shorter side, plenty big. A canvas measuring 40 inches x 60 inches certainly makes more of an impact.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210342\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I"ve got the 24" and am happy but I understand what you are saying. I'm new to printing canvas and was looking for some advice on which canvas to try with my Z3100 and what topcoast sprays have you had the best luck with?

Thanks in advance. JR

namartinnz

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:59:02 pm »

I"ve got the 24" and am happy but I understand what you are saying. I'm new to printing canvas and was looking for some advice on which canvas to try with my Z3100 and what topcoast sprays have you had the best luck with?

Thanks in advance. JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I originally looked at getting the 24 Z3100 but decided to splash out the extra for the 44". Never regretted it. When people ask how big can I go , I reply, how big do you want to go? I just finished printing a 208cm x 105cm canvas image on it. It just keeps on paying for itself.

As for canvas I've been using Breathing Color Chromata White with their Glamour II sealant.  I've been very happy with end results and the canvas is easier to mount than the previous  canvas I was using. As with all thingd there's a lot of canvas choices available

Neal.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:05:11 pm by namartinnz »

DotCom Editor

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:00:40 pm »

I'm new to printing canvas and was looking for some advice on which canvas to try with my Z3100 and what topcoast sprays have you had the best luck with?

HP Artist Matte canvas with Glamour II varnish.

I do not use a spray finish; experienced canvas printers recommend against it.

HP has higher-end canvas products, but as I do not work for a museum this works nicely for me. Breathing Color canvas media is held in very high regard by others in this forum. Of course, your budget may vary!

I follow the directions for mixing matte and gloss Glamour II, exactly as prescribed at http://www.inkjetart.com/misc/glamour2/instructions.html to obtain a satin finish (30% Matte, 70% Gloss. Then add roughly 1/3 water). I use only the excellent Quali-Tech sponge rollers, available at any Home Depot store.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:04:02 pm by DotCom Editor »

Dward

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:00:47 am »

Quote from: namartinnz,Jul 24 2008, 04:59 PM

I use a variety of canvasses (sihl, Hawk Mountain, InkAid, Lexjet), depending on customer preference.  These canvasses have somewhat different surfaces.

And I spray ClearShield Type C with a $69 Wagner HVLP sprayer---excellent results!

Good prices on ClearShield from Shades of Paper (no affiliation--just a happy customer)

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com

enduser

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:51:26 am »

If you have a 24" Canon iPF6100, it has a straight thru thick media path for up to 1.5mm thick material.

I regularly cut canvas 30" wide and fold under 3" on each side.  I iron the edge very flat and put a thin bead of silicone under the leading and trailing edge fold overs.   Press flat and leave over night.

Next day print at 24" width and whatever length suits and finally cut the silicon with a box cutter and fold out.

The ironed edge is at the point where the canvas goes round the stretcher and doesn't show.

The thickness of double 21mil canvas is just about the 1.0mm level, so you're well within limits with no risk of head strike.   Make sure the fold overs are well stuck down and can't come loose during feed in.

I know I'm talking Canon but maybe the HP has a similar path.  I did this hundreds of times on my HP DJ90, feeding from the rear.

T_om

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:20:21 am »

If you have a 24" Canon iPF6100, it has a straight thru thick media path for up to 1.5mm thick material.

I regularly cut canvas 30" wide and fold under 3" on each side.  I iron the edge very flat and put a thin bead of silicone under the leading and trailing edge fold overs.   Press flat and leave over night.

Next day print at 24" width and whatever length suits and finally cut the silicon with a box cutter and fold out.

The ironed edge is at the point where the canvas goes round the stretcher and doesn't show.

The thickness of double 21mil canvas is just about the 1.0mm level, so you're well within limits with no risk of head strike.   Make sure the fold overs are well stuck down and can't come loose during feed in.

I know I'm talking Canon but maybe the HP has a similar path.  I did this hundreds of times on my HP DJ90, feeding from the rear.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211699\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I had to do that every time I printed canvas, I would just shoot myself and end the pain.

Tom

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:31:26 pm »

I regularly cut canvas 30" wide and fold under 3" on each side.  I iron the edge very flat and put a thin bead of silicone under the leading and trailing edge fold overs.   Press flat and leave over night.

The thickness of double 21mil canvas is just about the 1.0mm level, so you're well within limits with no risk of head strike.   Make sure the fold overs are well stuck down and can't come loose during feed in.

I know I'm talking Canon but maybe the HP has a similar path.  I did this hundreds of times on my HP DJ90, feeding from the rear.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211699\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you doing  this because the Canon 6100 can't print canvas using standard 24 inch rolls?  I was considering the 6100 for printing canvas, but if it can't use 24 inch rolls then it is out of the running for me.

T_om

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 05:23:52 pm »

Of course the 6100 can print 24" wide.  Read his post.  He is wanting to print on 30" wide canvas on his 24" wide printer hence the need to go to all the trouble of folding stuff up.  

Tom

Dale Forrest

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:55:28 pm »

I am also trying to decide whether to go with a 44 inch Printer so that I can Print canvas with
at least a 24 inch width.  With the 24 inch printer you would have to print a full 24 and then
drymount etc. which defeats the whole Idea of having a canvas material for your work.

I could never see myself attempting to fold the two edges underneath and sealing them in order
to print on a 24....That would be counter productive and would be too labor intensive.  It would
also open up the possibility for problems with the heads printing on two different thicknesses
at the same time.

I'm leaning towards the 44

Dale

enduser

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 03:00:14 am »

The effort is minimal after a couple of tries.  It takes about 15 mins to cut a piece of canvas, iron over and glue.  Next morning you just feed and print.   When a stretched print can fetch several hundred dollars,  15 minute extra work time is nothing.

Incidentally, the iPF6100 is superb at roll handling,  and sheets if you only feed one sheet at a time.

But I would agree that if your prints are only for yourself it's probably an irritation to do what we do to get 24" printed width with enough over for stretching.

You'd probably be surprised what printshops do to innovate, extend usefulness and get the absolute most from their machinery.

There's absolutely no visible difference as the printheads move from the thicker edges to the thinner middle section.

T_om

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 09:12:51 am »

But I would agree that if your prints are only for yourself it's probably an irritation to do what we do to get 24" printed width with enough over for stretching.

Now THAT is funny.  And exactly the opposite of what most people would consider logical from a business standpoint.  I don't do these "only for for myself", so diddling around with glue and an iron on every canvas print order would make me crazy.  Time is money.  

Tom

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 10:38:39 am »

Hi,

That exactly the reason I bought the z2100 44 inch over the 24inch. One big stretched canvas print pays for my printer. I have only printed 42inch canvas so far because HP's bigger canvas rolls are not available in my neck of the woods. I use the Hahnemuhle spray on  the HP artist matte canvas. If not I find that the ink rubs off! specially the blacks. Of course my buying decision was also made on a nice to have basis. Saves me a lot of time driving to the printers, and it does feel good looking at one's own photographs printed huge!

Regards, Ivan

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:45:05 am »

Hi,

Forgot to mention that my framer rounds the edges of the frame. what you the get is a slight wrap around effect of the image iow if you had to look at the stretched canvas from the side you would see about 6-8mm of image. Does actually look very nice and of course I think it is easier to stretch with less tension of the canvas on the edge of the frame. with a 45mm thick frame the images look superb! to be able to do that you need about 7.5cm of border and for that you need the bigger printer!

Regards, Ivan

enduser

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 09:37:12 am »

Quote from: T_om,Aug 1 2008, 01:12 PM
Now THAT is funny.  And exactly the opposite of what most people would consider logical from a business standpoint.  I don't do these "only for for myself", so diddling around with glue and an iron on every canvas print order would make me crazy.  Time is money.  

Well, as I said, Tom, we always try to do what a customer wants, it's a rule of the game when your in business.  The few who wanted 24" x 36" (a common request) got what they wanted and became regulars for other stuff.

If my staff said they can't be bothered, well, .....

What I mean by implying that a business may well go the extra mile time-wise, is that you actually get paid for your trouble.   If you're just doing it for yourself to hang on your wall, well there's no "trade" incentive - I probably wouldn't bother either.

For a customer, we'll try anything that's feasible.  Given the time to stretch the canvas, folding under and gluing is a very small percentage increase overall.

(To use your word "diddling", the whole stretching thing would come under that category, so why bother with any of it?  It's part art, part craft and part science, you just do it)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:39:12 am by enduser »
Pages: [1]   Go Up