Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase/Mamiya is it ever reliable ?  (Read 14930 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Phase/Mamiya is it ever reliable ?
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:58:23 pm »

Here is an image from my P45+. This problem occurs every once and then ruining a shot here and a shot there, maybe 3 per4GB  card full.

My question: Is there any MF solution which is as reliable as Canon ? That just makes a picture when one presses the shutter ? Without dark streaks, color bands, centerfolds or other artefacts ?

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:32:51 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:30:14 pm »

deleted

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:33:11 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

simplify

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:46:44 pm »

I have the same thing happen o n my p45+ about 1 photo every 300 or so I get that magenta thing at the bottom.  It is usually when I am shooting as fast as the camera can handle.  It hasn't caused me any problems though because it is so rare.

eronald

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:51:31 pm »

I got the file before you took it down.

It has the purple in CO V4 and Lightroom.

The file info shows the camera set +3 exposure compensation. Is that correct? Curious why such a setting. What lens? A manual focus lens? No lens info.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AFAIK the file is fairly decently exposed, it comes up in C1 with +0 exposure.

The lens is a 110mm F2 Hasselblad lens, totally manual of course, manual stop down, and the camera was set to manual exposure if I remember rightly. I was testing the lens and this happens to be the only image where the people in the frame had the expressions I wanted - argh. On the other hand it renders nicely to BW.

My Phase/Mamiya does this lateral tinting regularly but unpredictably, whatever the lens used. I think I'm going to move to Contax because this dead system seems the most solid, and lenses are affordable.

Simplify:
Yes, it seems to happen always when I'm in a hurry to catch an expression.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:54:10 pm by eronald »

robert zimmerman

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:00:46 pm »

My Aptus does a similar thing every once in a while. At least one shot in a session is completely green. It's just a thing I've decided to live with - like the cat who drags in a dead mouse once a month or my girlfriend who is completely nuts on rare occasions. It's life.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:25:43 pm »

my girlfriend who is completely nuts on rare occasions. It's life.

The answer is simple, marry her and then she'll be nuts 24/7, or you will be given time!

Justin.  

Snook

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:33:59 pm »

The answer is simple, marry her and then she'll be nuts 24/7, or you will be given time!

Justin. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I get it a lot but usually the Whole frame is Purple on my P30.
Wanted to add that it has happen to me tethered and I have only used the camera once with cards.. I usually always shoot tethered.

As some one else mentioned I usually get it when I bang off many images in a row...

That is my only doubt since this whole MFDB bout I have been on..
I had Canons for many years and never had anything gowrong accept the shutter went out after well over 100,000 images...
And the occasional firewire port replacement. But I never worried on location that i would die on me unless I dropped it or something.
What stinks is another Back and body to be sure is too expensive and heavy.
I always had a 5d to back up the 1DsMII on locations.
Now it will have to be the 1DsMII or if I buy the MIII here soon for back-up.
Stinks having to take 2 differnent systems and batteries etc.. around while traveling...arg!

I wanted to add also That I am totaly happy with the P30 so far except for the recent hic-up but things happen...:+}
I hopefully will have a P30+ by december and will keep the P30 for back-up...
Just waiting to hear about those Leaf shutter lens

Snook
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:11:18 pm by Snook »

eronald

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 05:43:33 pm »

Snook -

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one on whom they (the backs) go nuts

I get it now - it's a timing-related issue. As soon as I start warming up and clicking away the frames will burn purple; if images are made in the calm of my dealer's studio they'll all be clean.

This is one of those cases where a forum discussion allows one to quickly pinpoint the circumstances  where a problem occurs.

Edmund

I get it a lot but usually the Whole frame is Purple on my P30.
As some one else mentioned I usually get it when I bang off many images in a row...

That is my only doubt since this whole MFDB bout I have been on..
I had Canons for many years and never had anything gowrong accept the shutter went out after well over 100,000 images...
And the occasional firewire port replacement. But I never worried on location that i would die on me unless I dropped it or something.
What stinks is another Back and body to be sure is too expensive and heavy.
I always had a 5d to back up the 1DsMII on locations.
Now it will have to be the 1DsMII or if I buy the MIII here soon for back-up.
Stinks having to take 2 differnent systems and batteries etc.. around while traveling...arg!

Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:45:42 pm by eronald »

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 06:06:35 pm »

Here is an image from my P45+. This problem occurs every once and then ruining a shot here and a shot there, maybe 3 per4GB  card full.
Hi Edmund. Sorry to hear about your P45+ difficulties. You've definitely been snake bit.

I have never seen the problem you are seeing, but along with the other posters that have seen this when they shoot fast, my experience might also be a clue. I use my P45+ for slow, deliberate landscape shooting. There are often 10's of seconds to minutes between my shots. Occasionally when I am shooting a series of shots for a stiched panorama, I might shoot faster, but my total shots for the stich is rarely more than four. So you have two  or three data points that might correlate with fast shooting, and my data point where the problem doesn't happen in slow deliberate shooting. Pretty slim data, I agree.

I wonder if it's temperature related. Maybe when you reel of a rapid series of shots, the internal electronics heat up and exceeds some internal temp spec. You might be able to come up with some simple experiments to see if you can repeat this by hammering out a long series of shots. At least see if the purple cast becomes more repeatable in this case. If it does, you should be able to come up with various approaches to modify the back temperature a bit to see if the rate of problem occurence goes up or down. Just thinking out loud.

Good luck.

P.S. I just saw your latest post (the one right above mine), and see that you've isolated the problem. I guess the next question is whether they can do anything about it, or is this just a limitation of the back. Surely you can't be the only one shooting a series of closely spaced shots.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:15:36 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:36:42 pm »

Snook -

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one on whom they (the backs) go nuts

I get it now - it's a timing-related issue. As soon as I start warming up and clicking away the frames will burn purple; if images are made in the calm of my dealer's studio they'll all be clean.

This is one of those cases where a forum discussion allows one to quickly pinpoint the circumstances  where a problem occurs.
Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210259\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund,

Man, you've had more issues with cameras, lenses and backs than anyone I know.  

I would suggest spending a few days isolating the problems because I use all of my  equipment like I stole it and I've had a few things go south, but nothing like the stuff your getting.

JR

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 06:43:15 pm »

I also believe it might be  temp related.  There was another post on a user with a P30 that was getting a vertical line on the images on the side of the battery.  He was taking long exposures however.

The 45+ can get hot with a lot of shooting, just noticed this the other day.  Also wonder if it's an issue with a particular brand of card.  

I have some problems with the older Lexar cards in the 45+.  They work, but sometimes I seem to get a longer than normal delay in file writes.  

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

grappa

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 06:55:06 pm »

I used to get problems like this with some brands of memory cards,but not with Sandisk.
Could it be card related ? Has anyone had this problem with Sandisk ?

eronald

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:56:10 pm »

Edmund,

Man, you've had more issues with cameras, lenses and backs than anyone I know. 

I would suggest spending a few days isolating the problems because I use all of my  equipment like I stole it and I've had a few things go south, but nothing like the stuff your getting.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Mamiya issues seem to be biting me more now, but then I wasn't using my back fast up to now because I hadn't got the hang of it, while now I'm moving into the production phase. One thing I did notice from the beginning was that often the first shot after switching the camera on was wrecked - overexposed.

Another interesting quirk of the Mamiya is shutter speed reset. I was doing night exposures on the Empire State and in the space of a session the Mamiya must have reset about ten times to 30 sec. Very unpleasant. At the Eiffel tower it reset a couple of times too, but not so catastrophically. I think both the Empire State and the Eiffel Tower have especially strong EMI, as they are radio towers. I know that even my Canon pictures of the Empire State have stripes al over them !

Edmund

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:09:10 pm »

I have not had any problems like that with my 45+, either tethered or to the card and I have been shooting as fast as I can sometimes. I am using an H1. I wonder if the card speed has anything to do with it. I think they are optimized for the Extreme IV sandisk

Or I wonder if that could be a shutter issue?

ricm

• http://www.richardmurai.com
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 07:30:30 pm »

Here is an image from my P45+. This problem occurs every once and then ruining a shot here and a shot there, maybe 3 per4GB  card full.

My question: Is there any MF solution which is as reliable as Canon ? That just makes a picture when one presses the shutter ? Without dark streaks, color bands, centerfolds or other artefacts ?

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210229\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you contacted Phase?

Is it a shutter lag issue?

Does it happen with different M645 bodies?

Your comment about the MFDB's performance in the heat-of-battle vs. the calm of a dealer's showroom is interesting.

-rm
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:31:31 pm by ricm »

snickgrr

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 07:38:19 pm »

Mamiya has a funky button, in my estimation, that plays havoc with the Leaf.  The "auto exposure", if held down for a couple seconds will make all subsequent exposures vastly overexposed...to the point that they are unusable.  In the heat of the battle often times you don't know you've hit the button until looking down at the screen and realizing the past ten shots are toast.  You have to turn off the camera to reset it back to normal.

You can move that button to the front of the camera but it functions in the same way.  I eventually had had enough and fashioned a little plastic cap over the button so it can not be accessed and problem solved.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 07:45:25 pm »

For what it's worth I have used the P45 and currently the P45+ with the AFD II and III. I've never had any sort of problem like this even when shooting 20-30 images as fast as I can. I do use Sandisk Extreme IV cards.
 Bill

TMARK

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 08:27:31 pm »

For what its worth my P30+ has been rock solid.  Never a problem shooting fast to Extreme III and IV cards, as well as Ultra II cards.

condit79

• http://calebcondit.com
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 09:30:51 pm »

I´ve seen the exact same thing shooting a p30 on an H2.  It happened every 100 shots or so.  Pretty annoying.  Oh and we were shooting pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:31:14 pm by condit79 »

Jack Varney

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 09:43:43 pm »

I have had no problems at all shooting P45+ on Mamiya AFD into SanDisk Ultra and Estreme cards.
Jack Varney
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up