Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using copal shutters in recessed boards  (Read 8112 times)

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Using copal shutters in recessed boards
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:41:47 am »

What kind of cables extensions is every one using for cable releases in their recessed boards?

Im using press shutters btw, if that makes a difference.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:58:30 am »

so strange I was just wondering about the exact same thing recently...
I'm thinking of getting this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2337...tension_f_.html
heard it's the best solution?

I've been using a piece of wire to cock my copal shutter (not very elegant), was wondering what methods people use to adjust their shutter settings in a recessed lens board?

klane

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:43:33 am »

so strange I was just wondering about the exact same thing recently...
I'm thinking of getting this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2337...tension_f_.html
heard it's the best solution?

I've been using a piece of wire to cock my copal shutter (not very elegant), was wondering what methods people use to adjust their shutter settings in a recessed lens board?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210093\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I saw those...I wonder if they work well...

If you don't need the faster shutter speeds, you should switch to the press shutters as they automatically re-cock.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:24:22 am »

I saw those...I wonder if they work well...

If you don't need the faster shutter speeds, you should switch to the press shutters as they automatically re-cock.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm going to order one off b&h to try.My concern is if the extended tip is long enough to trigger off the press shutter.
I got this info from Bob Salomon who posted in photo.net in 2004  
"Bob Salomon [Hero] , Sep 15, 2001; 04:56 a.m.

Gepe Pro is a vert shory PVC cable release extension with a very small tip so it can make very tight bends"

"Bob Salomon [Hero] , Sep 15, 2001; 09:23 a.m.

Gepe-Pro is on our website under "Latest News" www.hpmarketingcorp.com.

There is nothing to show as a picture. It is simply 3.25" long flexible PVC cable release material ith a small tip for the shutter and a threaded socket to accept the cable release.

This was mde to allow the 35mm Apo Grandagon to be fired when mounted into the double recessed lensboard for the Technikardan. It is the only device able to do this.

As we inport Linhof as well as Wista and L and U cable release devices we know that this item is the ONLY type that will properly do what you want."

From research it seems the cable extensions for recessed board include
the L shaped version
[a href=\"http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/233734-REG/Gepe_603006_L_Hook_Adapter.html]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2337...ok_Adapter.html[/url]

the U hook version
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2337...ok_Adapter.html

Both don't look like they'll work with a press shutter considering the angle of the threading for press shutter VS the standard copal shutter threading

I managed to scrounge a copal press on ebay from an old camera system. much cheaper than buying new.
got 2 prontor press on ebay also but there was some attachment on the back that prevents me from mounting it to a lensboard unless I machine off that extra attachment.

Do you have experience with other press shutters?

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:35:54 am »

What kind of cables extensions is every one using for cable releases in their recessed boards?

Im using press shutters btw, if that makes a difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210091\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

why not just get a simple U or C shaped release adapter ?
check on ebay, they are not that uncommon.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:45:45 am »

why not just get a simple U or C shaped release adapter ?
check on ebay, they are not that uncommon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210107\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

don't think a U shaped one works on a press shutter due to the placement of the threaded slot for the cable release as opposed to the usual copal shutter...

yaya

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:29:20 am »

Linhof-Studio UK catalogue

Check out page 5 there are some angled extensions there for cable release and sync sockets.

Yair

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:55:26 am »

Linhof-Studio UK catalogue

Check out page 5 there are some angled extensions there for cable release and sync sockets.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210126\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The copal press shutters require a very long cable extension tip in order to fire the lens - which makes it very difficult to put on a recessed board that is part of a "mini" view camera.   I have purchased almost every single attachment device out there and not a single one of them works with a small recessed board.   As silly as it is, I actually have a long piece of kite string tied around the shutter lever and just give the string a little pull downwards to fire it - it works like a charm every single time!

For me on a Cambo Ultima 23 recessed board - its such a small recessed opening that there is no room for any of those devices or anything else to screw into a Copal Press Shutter as the screw hole is on the side coming straight out and not like on a regular Copal.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:22:05 am »

The copal press shutters require a very long cable extension tip in order to fire the lens - which makes it very difficult to put on a recessed board that is part of a "mini" view camera.   I have purchased almost every single attachment device out there and not a single one of them works with a small recessed board.   As silly as it is, I actually have a long piece of kite string tied around the shutter lever and just give the string a little pull downwards to fire it - it works like a charm every single time!

For me on a Cambo Ultima 23 recessed board - its such a small recessed opening that there is no room for any of those devices or anything else to screw into a Copal Press Shutter as the screw hole is on the side coming straight out and not like on a regular Copal.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210143\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Greg, did you try the Gepe?

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 03:24:36 pm »

Greg, did you try the Gepe?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Flexi Gepe - doesnt fire the lens as the pin doesnt go deep enough, The right angle or "L" Gepe there isnt enough room in the recessed area of the board for it to be mounted when being used with a Copal Press.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 11:31:37 pm »

The Flexi Gepe - doesnt fire the lens as the pin doesnt go deep enough, The right angle or "L" Gepe there isnt enough room in the recessed area of the board for it to be mounted when being used with a Copal Press.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you just saved me 30 bucks.

klane

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 02:47:48 am »

Anyone have anything else to add?

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 05:24:53 am »

Anyone have anything else to add?