Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland September 2008  (Read 9951 times)

Jon Meddings

Iceland September 2008
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:44:56 pm »

Hi folks, just had a lucky break and both my wife and I (avid photographers both) have managed to arrange a 10 day trip to Iceland in early September. We will be on our own with a vehicle and intend to bring camping gear over. Should be fun to do again as we haven't done significant camping in 20 years!

We both love landscape photography although a few birds would not be a huge imposition! We've been scouring through Michaels suggestions on the site but would love some suggestions regarding a route and stops not to miss at this time of the year.

Thanks a million folks.

williamwiseman

Iceland September 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:08:53 am »

Hi John,

If you can get your hands on the book 'Lost in Iceland', it has a map at the back showing you all the locations of the places photographed in the book. It will give you all you need to know about which places you want to go and see.

My own take is that these areas are easy to get to, and worth a visit. 10 days is a short time to try and get round the island, so you may want to think about that. Last time I was there, I did the whole ring road in 10 days, but we had hardly any time to make photos due to the schedule.

Here are the places I would visit:

1. Gullfoss (it's near Reykjavik), beautiful waterfall.
2. Jokulsarlon (glacial lagoon, south east island). The area for miles all around contains great views of Vatnajokul, the huge icecap that goes on for over a hundred miles.
3. Skaftafell national park - lovely views and a great waterfall (Svartifoss)

If you have time after going around the south east, then head off to the north east - to Myvatn and the area of Krafla. I think Dettifoss waterfall will be hard to reach at that time of year, but it's just a guess on my part.

You may want to think about flying around the island to these spots and hiring a vehicle at each spot.

I have photos of Iceland here:
http://thelightandtheland.com/pages/Portfo...iceland_01.html

And I've just completed a podcast about it which you can view here:
http://www.thelightandtheland.com/podcasts...landPodcast.mov

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Iceland September 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:34:21 am »

We will be on our own with a vehicle and intend to bring camping gear over. Should be fun to do again as we haven't done significant camping in 20 years!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mmmmm... You know the weather can be a tad changing there, and therefore a tad gusty sometimes, don't you?
IMHO, a tough tent is utterly needed (the ones coming to my mind are expedition tents like North Face's VE25 - this one is not absolutely necessary of course, but don't count on an too ordinary tent).

For the places to visit... There are soooo many!
I got great remembrance of the Myvatn area, of Skaftafell too (I went to Hvannadalshnukur    but it was in march, should be quite icy in september I guess), and heard wonders about the Landmannalaugar (depending on the weather, access is not 100% guaranteed in september though, and an ordinary vehicle may not be the most appropriate).
But there are many other places - the Geysir/Gullfoss tour is a bit on the "tourist must" side but still nice - I'm a bit reluctant to cite also the Snaefell peninsula and the Northwestern fjords, as you got only 10 days...  
Add a friday night in Reykjavik, of course - a cultural must  .

As williamwiseman said, the ring road could be a good idea, but in just 10 days you'll be probably just frustrated (I'd say 3 weeks is better).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

francois

Iceland September 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:51 am »

Mmmmm... You know the weather can be a tad changing there, and therefore a tad gusty sometimes, don't you?
IMHO, a tough tent is utterly needed (the ones coming to my mind are expedition tents like North Face's VE25 - this one is not absolutely necessary of course, but don't count on an too ordinary tent).

I second your comment. I spent nearly one week living in a VE-25 on the south part of Iceland. Wind and rain can be brutal.
Temperatures are not that low, no need to bring an expedition down suit.
Instead of giving location suggestions, I would say that one needs to be flexible as weather can block roads and mess up with travel plans.

In addition to the the articles (and videos) published here on Luminous Landscape, David Mantripp has written a few interesting articles in his blog (here).

Anyway, Iceland is a wonderful place for landscape and nature photography.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:12:04 am by francois »
Francois

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
Iceland September 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:07:16 pm »

First, you should be able to get around the exterior of Iceland as late as mid-to-late September, a couple years back I was there in late September and enjoyed visiting the Mývatn and Jökulsárgljúfur National Park in the North with very few other people around to get in the way of my images.  I also loved Jokulsarlon but had really rough conditions for actually doing photography when I was there.  I was less impressed by the more developed sites within a few hours of Reykjavik.

I ended up doing a lot of driving, I found many "by the road" sorts of photographic opportunities that I might have missed otherwise, but ten days is a short period of time to work such an incredibly large and varied area as Iceland.

I've got a book of my Iceland images here:  http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/289652/ -- the preview feature of Blurb will let you check out the first fifteen pages, or you can check out more of those images here: http://www.rockslidephoto.com/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?gallery=15.
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

Jon Meddings

Iceland September 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:21:27 pm »

Thanks to all of you for the incredible help so far.

William, great ideas and I've ordered a used copy of the book from Amazon - pricey but I'm looking forward to it! Great advice/pictures on the website and the podcast I'll listen to at home.

Niko/Francois, thanks for the tent advice and we're going to look into it a bit more.

Joe, great pictures as well - amazing looking place and I'm beginning to drool just thinking about this trip!

Any more suggestions from folks would be very welcome!

Rusty Jackson

• http://www.terra360.com
Iceland September 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:09:01 pm »

Quote from: Jon Meddings,Jul 23 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks to all of you for the incredible help so far.

###

wow, Jon, reading all the responses really make me want to go back for a return trip.  I was there last June/July 2007 with 63 Krona to the USD.... fortunately now it it more like 81 or so.

As others have said, 10 days is quick.  I think we were there for 14 days and we lopped off the NW fjords due to time restrictions.

I wrote a lot about it here:

http://panoramicassociation.org/featured_photographer.php

and it is also on my web site (with more photos)

http://www.terra360.com/

just click on the Iceland links... letters (in the blog) and in the galleries.

My best advice is get off the ring road when you can, there is so much to see.  I could easily fill a month long return trip.

I'll look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Cheers, Rusty

______________________________ Rice R.

Kathy

Iceland September 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 07:06:37 am »

Hi folks, just had a lucky break and both my wife and I (avid photographers both) have managed to arrange a 10 day trip to Iceland in early September. We will be on our own with a vehicle and intend to bring camping gear over. Should be fun to do again as we haven't done significant camping in 20 years!

We both love landscape photography although a few birds would not be a huge imposition! We've been scouring through Michaels suggestions on the site but would love some suggestions regarding a route and stops not to miss at this time of the year.

Thanks a million folks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I visited Iceland on a photographic workshop in 2006 and agree with all the suggestions. I will give you our 10-day itinerary as it shows what can be packed in. We covered most aspects of the Island, but we needed one of their special four-wheel drive coaches to do it all. High clearance is needed to get across the rivers if you go through the Central Highlands. Apart from the Central Highlands we found most of the roads were OK. On finishing the workshop we spent 3 nights at Grundarfjordur exploring the Snæfellnses peninsula on our own. This is a wonderful area, which can be explored easily by car and foot, and it offers most of what Iceland has to offer but in a very small area. We found accommodation good in most place and reasonably priced and as others have said I would avoid camping.  
Have a good trip.
Kathy

Day 1 – From the airport along the coast to Krisuvik, which is a hot spring area, and we then went on to the Nesjavellir geothermal area.
Day 2 – We visited Thingvellir World Heritage Area Park, which has extensive tectonic fissures, calm deep water, waterfalls and lava formations. From Thingvellir we crossed Lyngdalsheidi to the Geysir geothermal area and Gullfoss waterfall. The geysir Strokkur (Piston) erupts 4-5 times per hour. From Gullfoss we continued east to Hrauneyjar, We stayed at Highland center Hrauneyjar, I think the choice is this or camping but it is worth it.
Day 3  – We traveled from Hrauneyjar to Landmannalaugar where we spent the full day in Landmannalaugar. The range of colours here offers some spectacular photography. The yellow, brown and red ryholitc formations are fascinating; these are bright yellow sulphur deposits on black lava surrounded by red clay and ultra green moss. This was the best days photography.
Day 4 –We drove across Sprengisandur to Laugarfell and on to Godafoss. Sprengisandur is a vast grey desert in between two major icecaps. Further north we drove on the banks of the river Sjalfandafljot with its spectacular waterfalls Hrafnabjargafoss. We also stopped at Aldeyjafoss and Godafoss falls.
Day 5 –We went to the fishing village of Husavik at Skjalfandi Bay. Enroute we drove past vegetated lava and went on a whale watching tour out of the fishing village of Husavik with its colourful houses and lively fishing harbour not forgetting it’s interesting museum.
Day 6 – We then traveled east over Tjornes peninsula where we stopped at Asbyrgi canyon, Hljodaklettar columnar basalt and Dettifoss waterfall in Jokulsargljufur NP. We ended the day at Lake Myvatn
Day 7 –We spent a full day in the Myvatn region. Places of interest include Hverfell, Dimmuborgir, Lake Myvatn, Leirhnjukur, and Hverarond.
Day 8 – This was a very long day of driving from Myvatn to Egilsstadir and finally to Hofn with a visit to Krafla volcano, then over Oxi pass to enter the glacier valleys of the East Fjords.
Day 9 –We drove along the south coast to the Glacier lagoon and further on to Skaftafell NP. Look out for Vatnajokull’s white ice capped peaks along with tremendous icefalls and outlet glaciers flowing down to the lowland and carving into the Glacier Lagoon. For bird photography especially puffin and Great Skua Ingolfshofdi is well worth a visit.
Day 10 – Drove along the south coast back to Reykjavik with numerous waterfalls, canyons, cliffs, glaciers, sea stacks and volcanoes.

Jon Meddings

Iceland September 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:43:17 pm »

Hi
I visited Iceland on a photographic workshop in 2006 and agree with all the suggestions. I will give you our 10-day itinerary as it shows what can be packed in. We covered most aspects of the Island, but we needed one of their special four-wheel drive coaches to do it all. High clearance is needed to get across the rivers if you go through the Central Highlands. Apart from the Central Highlands we found most of the roads were OK. On finishing the workshop we spent 3 nights at Grundarfjordur exploring the Snæfellnses peninsula on our own. This is a wonderful area, which can be explored easily by car and foot, and it offers most of what Iceland has to offer but in a very small area. We found accommodation good in most place and reasonably priced and as others have said I would avoid camping. 
Have a good trip.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214391\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kathy, that is absolutely wonderful!!! Thanks for taking the time to type all of that in for me. It is a treasure and now I'm away to study it intently!

eholmoyv

• http://www.luguber.net
Iceland September 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 03:25:58 pm »

With 10 days I think you can make the roundtrip along the ringroad. I did it in 7 days last year with plenty of time to shoot, but I had done a lot of research and knew what and where I wanted to shoot. And I didn't sleep much! If you want to focus on a region, I can recommend the entire southern coastline. It will give you vast lavafields, black beaches, huge glaciers, powerful rivers,  and beautiful waterfalls. There are nice hostels to stay in at Vik, Hvoll and Höfn (see www.hostel.is). This is a landscape that really sets Iceland apart from other countries. If you want to see fjords, go to Norway where the fjords are much more impressive, though with more signs of humans.

I have a selection of pictures from Iceland and locations at this address: http://www.luguber.net/portfolio/portfolio...nd/iceland.html

Good luck!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Iceland September 2008
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 05:30:38 pm »

Also please do not overlook the 1 hour video that we did for the L-L Video Journal!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Iceland September 2008
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 07:19:47 pm »

There's the recent LL article as well, here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/location...locations.shtml

and John Paul Caponigro and Vincent Versace have just been to Iceland so you might want to check out their respective sites.  I know JPC's blog site has some information.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jon Meddings

Iceland September 2008
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 10:55:43 am »

With 10 days I think you can make the roundtrip along the ringroad. I did it in 7 days last year with plenty of time to shoot, but I had done a lot of research and knew what and where I wanted to shoot. And I didn't sleep much! If you want to focus on a region, I can recommend the entire southern coastline. It will give you vast lavafields, black beaches, huge glaciers, powerful rivers,  and beautiful waterfalls. There are nice hostels to stay in at Vik, Hvoll and Höfn (see www.hostel.is). This is a landscape that really sets Iceland apart from other countries. If you want to see fjords, go to Norway where the fjords are much more impressive, though with more signs of humans.

I have a selection of pictures from Iceland and locations at this address: http://www.luguber.net/portfolio/portfolio...nd/iceland.html

Good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217175\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Amazing shots!!  I love the black and white compositions and especially some of your night shots. Looking forward to trying this myself!  Thanks for sharing!

francois

Iceland September 2008
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:15:47 am »

With 10 days I think you can make the roundtrip along the ringroad. I did it in 7 days last year with plenty of time to shoot, but I had done a lot of research and knew what and where I wanted to shoot. And I didn't sleep much! If you want to focus on a region, I can recommend the entire southern coastline. It will give you vast lavafields, black beaches, huge glaciers, powerful rivers,  and beautiful waterfalls. There are nice hostels to stay in at Vik, Hvoll and Höfn (see www.hostel.is). This is a landscape that really sets Iceland apart from other countries. If you want to see fjords, go to Norway where the fjords are much more impressive, though with more signs of humans.

Good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217175\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Stunning photos, indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up