Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon i9900 paper thickness  (Read 5077 times)

ehackett

canon i9900 paper thickness
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:51:32 am »

Good morning,

Apologies if this has been covered...  I searched but could not pick up the thread.  I would love to use thicker papers with my Canon i9900, but the manual says the printer accommodates paper up to 105 gsm (page 3, though there are some weasel words about using "genuine Canon paper" that may extend that limit).   There are a variety of papers in the 250-320 gsm range that I would like to try.  How can I get such papers to work?  Is there another printer more suitable for such papers?

Thanks and best wishes,

Ed

ehackett

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:53:35 am »

To answer my own question:  the Hahnemuhle website offers printer profiles for using William Turner paper with the i9900.  The profiles don't specify whether they are for the 190 gsm or 310 gsm paper, so I started with the lighter paper and made a beautiful landscape print.  (OK, the print colors are a bit warmer than the screen colors, but still pleasing.)  

Best wishes,

Ed

ehackett

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:37:19 pm »

Since folks seem to be reading this, if not replying, I will add one more bit to the story:  This afternoon I made a nice print on Wm Turner 310 gsm paper, much thicker than what seems to be spec for the i9900.  I am not sure what's going on:  I had tried these papers before and got printer error messages concerning thickness of media.  Either the error messages were sent in error or the profiles are adjusting the paper path.  Even so, I thought the spec indicated the maximal thickness of paper through the path, but that's not so.  

Would welcome hearing others' experiences with--what's the polite term?--specialty papers and this printer.

Best wishes,

Ed

HankPeter

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 06:57:50 pm »

What you're looking for is mysteriously hidden away in the Printer Maintenance dialog box .  Go to Printer Properties > Maintenance > Custom Settings and there you'll find a check box to tick to "Prevent Paper Abrasion" which, according to the help details for this check box "increases the gap between the print head and the paper".   I've just gotten some Moab Anasazi Canvas @ 350 GSM that's printing up just fine.  Cheers!

ehackett

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:20:44 pm »

Thanks, Hank!  Have you been working with thicker papers?  If so, which ones and with what sorts of results?  I am probably not the most discerning printer, but I do like what I get from this machine and would like to push it a bit further before thinking about taking the next step up (probably to pigment inks).

I wonder if the profiles change the print head setting to avoid abrasion?  Canon does sell 350g/m "museum etching" paper, made by Hahnemuhle, for this printer.  I bought a variety pack of 13 x 19 paper and hope to do some printing during the holidays (after watching the relevant parts of the LR2 tutorial).

Best wishes,

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up