Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3DII and software  (Read 5325 times)

Henry Goh

H3DII and software
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:55:13 am »

If I went with the H3DII I can only process my RAW files with Phocus (on a Mac) and Flexcolor (on a PC)?  I do not have any other choice of converters?

Also, The longest exposure time is 32 seconds?

Did I understand correctly or have I missed something.  Thanks for any help.

oh one more question: when I use the V adapter, do I have to stop down aperture on my old CF lenses or does the adapter take care of closing the aperture during the firing process?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:58:19 am by Henry Goh »

Bernd B.

H3DII and software
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 02:13:23 am »

If I went with the H3DII I can only process my RAW files with Phocus (on a Mac) and Flexcolor (on a PC)?  I do not have any other choice of converters?

Also, The longest exposure time is 32 seconds?

Did I understand correctly or have I missed something.  Thanks for any help.

oh one more question: when I use the V adapter, do I have to stop down aperture on my old CF lenses or does the adapter take care of closing the aperture during the firing process?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can convert Hasselkblad raw files to DNG, but in Lightroom or ACR colors look strange (not weird, I´d call it boring). You better go the Phocus way, especially because it is for free for Hasselblad users. The only good foreign raw converter for Hasselblad DNGs ist Iridient Raw Developer, which is an excellent alternative but does not give you the automativ corrections (DAC: for distortion, chromatic abberation and vignetting).

The longest exposure time today still is 32 seconds. 64 seconds was announced more than half a year ago. They say they will make it available via firmware update even for older backs. We are waiting...

As far as I understand it, when using the V adapter you have to cock the shutter manually after every shot but the aperture closes automatically.

I think the acutual offer for the H3DII31 is a great deal. I own an H3D39.

Bernd

Henry Goh

H3DII and software
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 02:38:27 am »

Thank you Bernd.

On the older CF lenses...is there some lever to cock the lens manually?

The promo for H3DII31 is really attractive but the idea of having only Flexcolor (I'm on PC) as the converter is somewhat restrictive.

Henry

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
H3DII and software
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 02:53:16 am »

I am on both PC as well as Mac. I would not worry too much about it. Phocus will eventually be there as a PC version but you are not only limited to Flexcolor.

You can always convert to DNG and use it practically in any converter. You do miss DAC in that case, I wish Hasselblad would fix that. It does take some time and effort to get the images the way you like them in DNG.

In reality I find the Hasselblad workflow not too bad. I work most of the time tethered and that is absolutely rock solid. Processing of images I do both in Flexcolor and partly in DNG via the Bridge.

Having said that, I would have preferred the ease of the Leaf workflow. These RAW files can be read by basically anything and are rendered very nicely by most converters.

I find Flexcolor a program that might look like sh*t but does its job and if you know how to work it I find it actually just fine.

If you can make yourself familiar with programs without too much of a hassle you will be fine and up to speed with either Phocus or Flexcolor within a couple of weeks though it probably takes a bit longer to really get the most out of your files.

BTW..

As far as I know there is only a pin with a screw type groove in CF lenses to cock the shutter which is picked up normally by the body. I assume this is handled via the CF adapter when using a CF lens on the H. I reckon the lever/knob for cocking the shutter is on the adapter. Maybe somebody that has one can tell but I cannot imagine it working any other way.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:45:20 am by Dustbak »

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
H3DII and software
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:57:44 am »

Thank you Bernd.

On the older CF lenses...is there some lever to cock the lens manually?

The CF adapter has a cocking lever.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Henry Goh

H3DII and software
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:17:20 am »

The CF adapter has a cocking lever.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209872\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Jeff.

Henry Goh

H3DII and software
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:18:17 am »

I am on both PC as well as Mac.

Thank you Dustbak

Henry Goh

H3DII and software
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 02:19:13 am »

BTW has anyone used the older C lenses like the 150mm Sonnar on a H body and MFDB?  How is IQ with such a lens?

Thanks.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
H3DII and software
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 03:17:39 am »

I have used the older C150, CF60 & CF100 however not on the H but on my 503 & Flexbody but with the same back I use on the H.

Of these 3 I found the 100 a wonderful lens, the 150 nice but soft (real soft) and the 60 disappointing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:18:13 am by Dustbak »

Henry Goh

H3DII and software
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:51 am »

I have used the older C150, CF60 & CF100 however not on the H but on my 503 & Flexbody but with the same back I use on the H.

Of these 3 I found the 100 a wonderful lens, the 150 nice but soft (real soft) and the 60 disappointing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210113\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmm looks like I will have to test out each lens once I get the camera and back.  Thank you.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
H3DII and software
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

I can confirm the CF lens adapter requires you to cock the shutter before each exposure. Much like a 500 series body you cannot see through the body/viewfinder until it is cocked so it is not easy to "forget" to cock it. The lever is located on the left of the barrel and is well designed and large (easy to operate without looking).

The aperture closes down automatically on each exposure; viewing is at wide-open (assuming the DOF preview or manual stop down is not depressed on the lens).

Hope that helps.

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Henry Goh

H3DII and software
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 02:46:10 am »

I can confirm the CF lens adapter requires you to cock the shutter before each exposure. Much like a 500 series body you cannot see through the body/viewfinder until

Thanks Doug.

Would you know if the V lens adapter on Mamiya works the same way ie. if there is a lever to cock the lens?

Bernd B.

H3DII and software
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 03:32:12 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210113\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I found my CF 150 lens sharp (really sharp), even at f/4.

The 80 is really weak. About the 60 I´m not shure. Maybe not the best.

My CF50FLE is excellent.

The 100 is always the right choice.

Bernd

erick.boileau

• http://
H3DII and software
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:57:54 am »

exposure time seems not to be a priority for them , actually the new P65+ has also 60 seconds maximum
for that price it is a nonsense not to get what you need

odyocu

H3DII and software
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 05:34:53 pm »

I used the 180mm Sonnar. Couldn't beleive my eyes to see all perfectly exposed photos with excellent focus most of the time.  When the focus is right on, this is a very sharp lens. Fortunately with H3DII, viewfinder is very large and bright, and Manual focus was no issue at all.

I can also confirm that, apart from correct exposure (nothing different from HC lenses IMO), there were no surprises like unforseen light falloff, colors etc. The procedure for useng the adaptor is fine, if you are not fussy. All you need to do is to cock the shutter, and a few other difficulties, which are no problem if you have used any MF film cameras in the past.

Seyhun

BTW has anyone used the older C lenses like the 150mm Sonnar on a H body and MFDB?  How is IQ with such a lens?

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up