Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My trouble with Phocus v1.0 (Bug???)  (Read 2987 times)

Bernd B.

My trouble with Phocus v1.0 (Bug???)
« on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:47 pm »

Last week I praised phocus in a thread here.

This week my mood has changed: I´m having trouble!

During the session (100 pictures, 1 hour) the software crashed two times.

When exporting tiffs or jpegs afterwards, even in preview size, I have the highlight clipping warnings rendered in the files! They only disappear when I completely switch off the color corrections tool.

The cc-tools is one major advantage over Flexcolor for me. Of course I can optimize skintones in a different way, but not as elegant and effective as with the cc tool.

I asked the Hasselblad service for help today, but this time they did not even come back to me.

Three weeks ago I had the same problem with files shot and edited in beta 20. This time all is v1.0.

Am I the only one to have this kind of trouble?

Bernd
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:48:53 pm by Bernd B. »

hubell

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:11:24 pm »

Last week I praised phocus in a thread here.

This week my mood has changed: I´m having trouble!

During the session (100 pictures, 1 hour) the software crashed two times.

When exporting tiffs or jpegs afterwards, even in preview size, I have the highlight clipping warnings rendered in the files! They only disappear when I completely switch off the color corrections tool.

The cc-tools is one major advantage over Flexcolor for me. Of course I can optimize skintones in a different way, but not as elegant and effective as with the cc tool.

I asked the Hasselblad service for help today, but this time they did not even come back to me.

Three weeks ago I had the same problem with files shot and edited in beta 20. This time all is v1.0.

Am I the only one to have this kind of trouble?

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is a known bug in Phocus 1.0. If you adjust the saturation of a file in which there is hightlight clipping and you had the highlight clipping indicator turned on in the camera, the exported file will show in blue the the area where there is highlight clipping. I have only seen this where the saturation of the file is adjusted in Phocus, which I generally do not do anyway, but it is surprising that it was not picked up in the pre-relaese versions of Phocus.

Bernd B.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 02:38:21 pm »

This is a known bug in Phocus 1.0. If you adjust the saturation of a file in which there is hightlight clipping and you had the highlight clipping indicator turned on in the camera, the exported file will show in blue the the area where there is highlight clipping. I have only seen this where the saturation of the file is adjusted in Phocus, which I generally do not do anyway, but it is surprising that it was not picked up in the pre-relaese versions of Phocus.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209766\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So turning off the highlight warning of the back`s display prevents this kind of trouble? Is it that easy?

Bernd

hubell

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 03:21:32 pm »

So turning off the highlight warning of the back`s display prevents this kind of trouble? Is it that easy?

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was my understanding, but I have not tried it. I did have an exported TIFF with the highlight clipping area covered in blue, as in your example, and I just went back to Phocus and reprocessed the file with no bump in saturation. I appreciate that this may more of an issue for where you are using the color correction tool to do a selective bump in saturation.
BTW, did you try reexporting the file after saving out a new version without the highlight clipping warning being on?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:25:05 pm by hcubell »

Bernd B.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 03:53:14 pm »

That was my understanding, but I have not tried it. I did have an exported TIFF with the highlight clipping area covered in blue, as in your example, and I just went back to Phocus and reprocessed the file with no bump in saturation. I appreciate that this may more of an issue for where you are using the color correction tool to do a selective bump in saturation.
BTW, did you try reexporting the file after saving out a new version without the highlight clipping warning being on?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I exported two files with cc on and three selective cc applied but global saturation set to zero. No more effects. Then I changed global saturation back to +7 again and: no more errors. Even on other files. That´s all, for the moment. The errors seems to have disappeared. If I only would understand it.

I remember your warning and switched off the highlight warning of the back´s display. And of course I also switched off the highlight warning in Phocus. I won´t touch the both of them for at least a year!

Thank you for your helpful ideas! If you ever come to Frankfurt get in contact with me and we´ll have some beers together!

Bernd

Bernd

hubell

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 07:13:16 pm »

I exported two files with cc on and three selective cc applied but global saturation set to zero. No more effects. Then I changed global saturation back to +7 again and: no more errors. Even on other files. That´s all, for the moment. The errors seems to have disappeared. If I only would understand it.

I remember your warning and switched off the highlight warning of the back´s display. And of course I also switched off the highlight warning in Phocus. I won´t touch the both of them for at least a year!

Thank you for your helpful ideas! If you ever come to Frankfurt get in contact with me and we´ll have some beers together!

Bernd

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Let's hope that the next version of Phocus doesn't take a year!

Nick-T

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 07:34:47 pm »

Let's hope that the next version of Phocus doesn't take a year!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209835\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Should be out at the end of this week.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

hubell

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:41:19 pm »

Should be out at the end of this week.

Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209837\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Nick. Do you expect that the new release will "just" deal with certain bugs that have  been identified post-release or will it offer any new functionality?

Bernd B.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:28:49 pm »

I got a mail from Hasselblad support today:

They know about the bug. They recommend not to use the cc tool on any picture with clipped highlights.

They say it will be corrected in version 1.1, but release will not be before Photokina.

Not ideal, but good to hear my system is not the source of the problem and a solution is on its way.

Just to let you know.

Bernd
Pages: [1]   Go Up