Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ilford GFS, Epson R2400 & Head Strikes  (Read 1710 times)

BobDrzyzgula

Ilford GFS, Epson R2400 & Head Strikes
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:00:56 am »

FYI & FWIW: A while back I tried using some Ilford Gold Fiber Silk in my Epson R2400. Generally I was happy with the results, but I found that I simply could not print on letter-sized sheets without getting some amount of head strike scratching at the trailing end of the print; the curl in the paper caused it to pop up after exiting the trailing-edge rollers. A few weeks ago I had to abandon the GFS while making a series of a dozen prints, for which I wound up using the Harman equivalent (which I'm also quite fond of, except for the price). However, I found that I *was* still able to print on 13"x19" GFS; I guess that with the extra edge width the R2400 was able to keep the paper from curling up into the head.

This past weekend, it occurred to me that perhaps if I put the letter paper into the printer long-edge-first that the edge might be long enough to overcome the curling problem. In fact, after printing a single test, I could find no evidence of scratching. To print this way you have to tell the driver that you are using a custom paper size, 11" (1100 hundredths) wide and 8.5" (850 hundredths) tall, and adjust your software accordingly.

Again, this was but a single test at this point. The sheet I used was from the same box that I had trouble with a few weeks ago and I hadn't sealed the plastic bag, so the moisture content of the paper was probably somewhat different. YMMV.

--Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up