Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: making photo books  (Read 19118 times)

DarkPenguin

making photo books
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 06:05:14 pm »

On the other hand I think Mike Johnston uses them for his stuff.

KeithR

making photo books
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 08:33:50 pm »

Thanks for the link!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210256\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Blurb has a forum where you can ask questions and also do a search for topics that have already been discussed. You have to register, but it's free.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

KeithR

making photo books
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 08:39:53 pm »

Quote from: peterpix2008,Jul 23 2008, 09:04 AM
Many of these companies use  a machine called an Igen3, sort of a color version

Last I read, Blurb had their stuff printed by companies that use the Indigo 5000. I don't know if this is the same as the Igen3. Blurb does state that their books are printed by various companies throughout the US.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Chris_T

making photo books
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 07:49:48 am »

Of course, the internet folks offer ISBN numbers, bar codes and a ready made ordering operation. But you could have your own ISBNs and make your own bar codes and be more in control of the process.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210144\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is the difference and significance between creating one's own ISBNs and bar codes and letting others do it?

SeanBK

making photo books
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 10:15:06 am »

Try this;
  http://www.artefactstudio.com/
 They seem to have all the color management tools spelled out in their specs. I personally have not used them, alittle more than Blurb, but may be between Blurb & Wedding guys. Has anyone used Artefact Studio?

DarkPenguin

making photo books
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 10:24:30 am »

Do they tell you anything without registering?

peterpix2008

making photo books
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 10:49:55 am »

What is the difference and significance between creating one's own ISBNs and bar codes and letting others do it?

Your own ISBN refers orders/ownership to you.  You'd have to create your  publisher name. This  is only for  folks doing self publishing. Trade publishers would supply their ISBN. Books only have one ISBN, its like your SS # and is unique to a single book, although a hard bound version and a paperback version would have different numbers.
[span style='color:blue']Peter Randall[/span]

petererandall.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
making photo books
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 10:53:15 am »

Do they tell you anything without registering?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not much, from what I can see.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DarkPenguin

making photo books
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 11:45:53 am »

Not much, from what I can see.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210601\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's just spiffy.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
making photo books
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 11:54:38 am »

That's just spiffy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it's no big deal. Probably a few minutes and another Cookie on your hard drive!

They have quite a few options for making these books, so you probably need to create a project before the site can return to users the pricing and the configuration requirements.

And of course, by doing it this way instead of just putting their wares on an open shelf, they get more names and email adresses for sending promos! Eh?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

SeanBK

making photo books
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 12:40:28 pm »

That's just spiffy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Drawback when compared to Blurb is, Artefact max size is 8.5"x11", while Blurb is 11"x17". Artefact max is with 30pgs, while Blurb is 40page for almost 50% price less, but Artefact seems better quality. Artefact looks good when compared to other Wedding books, while Blurb looks expensive when compared to Aperture...
   So it really is quite personal. I can't imagine one would make books thru' Artefacts & sell it as photo books...

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
making photo books
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2008, 06:30:19 pm »

I use and like Blurb.com for my personal "books".  Blurb is template based and sometimes a bit quirky, especially with text, but I find the templates very helpful.  There are many templates but, of course, still a limited number.

You can preview some of the Blurb books, here's one of mine:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/288261
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd submitted that book and ordered one copy but was traveling and not able to see it until today.  Seems like it took about a week to be printed, shipped and received.  Anyway, I like my recent Blurb book.

I used the "darkroom" template (black background) and found that one page was printed with a tiny bit of white showing at one edge.  Also, most of my jpgs had already been sharpened for printing using PK Sharpener but I intentionally did not sharpen a few of the later images because Blurb says that they will do the final sharpening.  In the future, I'll sharpen all images with PK Sharpener as those images looked better to me.  

As I suggested in another post, it's a simple and quick process to assemble a small test book to see if the Blurb product is satisfactory to you.

Plus, my Christmas shopping is done!
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Roberto Chaves

• http://www.tabi.se
making photo books
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

Try this;
  http://www.artefactstudio.com/
 They seem to have all the color management tools spelled out in their specs. I personally have not used them, alittle more than Blurb, but may be between Blurb & Wedding guys. Has anyone used Artefact Studio?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"An e-mail with your details has been sent to the portal administrator for verification. Once your registration has been approved an e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address:"

So hopefully I will be registered on Monday.
They seem to take quality more seriously as the mention (in a proud way) about color management etc on their website and the paper options look really nice.

I will try ordering something from there, using pictures of my nephew as a sample that I can give away as a present to my sister (providing the quality is good enough for that).
I'll get back with my impressions.
Best regards,
 Roberto Chaves  www.tabi.

BruceHouston

making photo books
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 08:09:07 pm »

Thanks all.  This and similar threads are incredibly useful for sorting the wheat from the chaff as regards product and services vendors.

Best regards,
Bruce
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up