Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom query  (Read 3355 times)

The Vulcan

• http://www.f4foto.org
Lightroom query
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:42:12 pm »

There are a few areas in Lightroom v1.4.1. that are confusing me, having only recently upgraded from v1.0

In all the latest uploads I see "metadata status has been changed" and "click here to resolve conflict" - what does this mean and what's the ramifications of resolving the conflict"

Secondly, in the presets do I tick all the boxes ref: "default develop settings"

Finally, what's a ".xmp" file? And should it be ticked in the catalogue section

I hope someone can help

Thank You

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Lightroom query
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:00:51 pm »

There are a few areas in Lightroom v1.4.1. that are confusing me, having only recently upgraded from v1.0

In all the latest uploads I see "metadata status has been changed" and "click here to resolve conflict" - what does this mean and what's the ramifications of resolving the conflict"

Secondly, in the presets do I tick all the boxes ref: "default develop settings"

Finally, what's a ".xmp" file? And should it be ticked in the catalogue section

I hope someone can help

Thank You
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Normally when there is a metadata conflict it is because you have opened the file up in another program that modifies metadata, such as Adobe Camera RAW, and thus the internally stored metadata no longer matches the external metadata.   The .xmp sidecar is a file which stores the metadata outside of the file or the LR database, making it available to other programs, such as ACR.  There are pro's and cons to using the .xmp files, I for one find it useful and do enable it.  This means I can open a file directly into ACR and it will get all of my LR changes.  It also means LR can see what things I may have changed in ACR and incorporate them.  Many use only LR, so the files are less useful.  One other purpose they serve is a backup to your metadata changes outside of the LR library file.

As far as the default develop settings, I have none of those options selected.  Read each description carefully and enable that option only if you want LR to perform that function when you import files.

The Vulcan

• http://www.f4foto.org
Lightroom query
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:12 pm »

Thank you Wayne for your response.

Things are somewhat clearer now.

Much appreciated
Pages: [1]   Go Up