Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with iPF5100 and Iflord Galerie Gold Silk  (Read 2523 times)

Mike_Dougan

• http://www.thefieryscotsman.com
Help with iPF5100 and Iflord Galerie Gold Silk
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:09:22 am »

Help please...........

I've already wasted a roll of this paper (which I have to import from the US) trying to get a decent print.

Everything I do either comes out with a strong Grey cast (colour images) or much darker than I have soft proofed (B&W images). I've sent the previous six weeks searching the internet for a solution but so far have found nothing.

This evening I wasted 5 17'' by 17'' prints trying to fine tune my process but in the end all of them turned out almost identical.

Where am I going wrong?

I use ProPhoto colour space on my profiled Mac. I select the correct print profile in the CS3 dialog box same with the 16bit export plug in, but my prints always turn out the same.

I must add tat with my other paper choice (Innova Smooth Cotton High White) I have none of these problems and consistently manage to produce excellent prints on the iPF5100.

Any help would be most welcome after wasting over a roll of Ilford Galerie Gold.

Mike

T_om

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:01:45 am »

Help please...........

I've already wasted a roll of this paper (which I have to import from the US) trying to get a decent print.

Everything I do either comes out with a strong Grey cast (colour images) or much darker than I have soft proofed (B&W images). I've sent the previous six weeks searching the internet for a solution but so far have found nothing.

This evening I wasted 5 17'' by 17'' prints trying to fine tune my process but in the end all of them turned out almost identical.

Where am I going wrong?

I use ProPhoto colour space on my profiled Mac. I select the correct print profile in the CS3 dialog box same with the 16bit export plug in, but my prints always turn out the same.

I must add tat with my other paper choice (Innova Smooth Cotton High White) I have none of these problems and consistently manage to produce excellent prints on the iPF5100.

Any help would be most welcome after wasting over a roll of Ilford Galerie Gold.
Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You do not mention the paper profile anywhere in your post.

For less than one-third the money you have wasted in paper you could have had a custom profile done.

I did my own and would be happy to send you the profile but it was done on a 5000, not a 5100 and would do you little good.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:02:53 am by T_om »

Mike_Dougan

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 07:44:59 pm »

You do not mention the paper profile anywhere in your post.

For less than one-third the money you have wasted in paper you could have had a custom profile done.

I did my own and would be happy to send you the profile but it was done on a 5000, not a 5100 and would do you little good.

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209538\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm tried Ilfords profile for the iPF5000.

And your right for the paper I've wasted I should have bought a profile. I've used almost 1 roll of this paper already. However living in the Philippines has it's problem's, I buy all my paper from Booksmart Studio and have it shipped here, there is nobody available locally to make profiles, Canon Philippines don't even import the 'Canon' branded papers anymore etc etc.... Living here has it's advantages but also some serious disadvantages!

Anyhow, I was going to have Booksmart make me a custom profile, with Fedex shipping etc... it would cost the same as a roll of paper or buy the ColorMunki but before I go there I'd like to get close with my prints just to be sure there is not some other issue I'm overlooking.

I've printed from CS3, ProPhoto colour space, selecting the paper profile for iPF5000 and I tried 'Printer manages color' option also and using the driver's B&W printing. The results are almost identical. Images are too dark and massive loss of detail in shadow's and dark area's on the print.

I've tried the 16bit plug in, tried every option but all the prints look almost the same with only a slight variation. I've tried 'Semi Gloss', 'HW Semi Gloss' and 'Special 5' in the Canon paper setting........ again virtually no difference in the prints.

On the Innova papers I get excellent prints with virtually no effort so before I dump $100 on a profile or $500 on the ColorMunki I want to be sure I'm not missing something here.

I do understand that the profile I'm using could be the problem and that the Black inks are different but I would not expect this massive a difference.

BTW, the profiles I'm using for the Innova paper are also for the iPF5000.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 08:34:45 pm »

I get perfect prints every time with a Canon IPF5100 with Ilford Gold Fibre silk using a custom made profile with media set at Heavy Weight Semi Gloss Photo 2.

I can email you my profile if you like.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Mike_Dougan

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 01:39:20 am »

Many thanks to Tom and Josh the problem is now sorted!

It was the profile after all (bang's head on table!) that was the issue. At least I know I was doing nothing wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up