Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuzzy P45 images??  (Read 8562 times)

Snook

Fuzzy P45 images??
« on: July 19, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »

Got alot of this the other day and acutally not one picture was "sharp" like my P30.
I thought it was the RZ maybe but then I did some on the AFDII and they were about the same.
Any thoughts?
I use to get something similar with my canon when people were moving and my flash was not a short duration flash so there was some slight blurring?
Shot was shot tripod studio profoto 7A 2400
65mm lens 250/th at f11
[attachment=7537:attachment][attachment=7538:attachment]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:24:35 pm by Snook »

VanKou

• http://www.vankou.com
Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:43:02 pm »

it looks like out of focus?  

Got alot of this the other day and acutally not one picture was "sharp" like my P30.
I thought it was the RZ maybe but then I did some on the AFDII and they were about the same.
Any thoughts?
I use to get something similar with my canon when people were moving and my flash was not a short duration flash so there was some slight blurring?
65mm lens 250/th at f11
[attachment=7537:attachment][attachment=7538:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mcrepsej

• http://www.iversenfoto.dk
Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:57:10 pm »

Hi.

You have to use a cabel release on the lens.
Best choice if you have the double cabel release from Mamiya.
Then you will get sharp closeups.

Iversen
Denmark

Snook

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:12:50 pm »

Hi.

You have to use a cabel release on the lens.
Best choice if you have the double cabel release from Mamiya.
Then you will get sharp closeups.

Iversen
Denmark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209466\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dude those are from full length shots..those are 100% crops...
Not beauty stuff at all..
Snook

TMARK

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:20:30 pm »

I think the sensor is out of alignment, which is probably why its a dealer loaner.

My first P30+ was sharper than my new P30+, only slightly but sharper nonetheless.

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 04:59:15 am »

Any thoughts?
65mm lens 250/th at f11[attachment=7537:attachment][attachment=7538:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
My P45 is sharp. I think you have some serious issues with the camera. I'd take it back because it's ruining your shoots.

This is from a full lengths shot at f5.0 with my H1/P45+.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

stevephoto

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 05:15:32 am »

perhaps try a focus test on an object and try a focus range from a couple of feet in front to behind - see if that gives a clue

juicy

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 06:18:29 am »

Looks like front focus. You should probably make a focusing test with a long ruler at an angle and see where the focus really is and rule out possible reasons one variable at time.

Cheers,
J

Graham Mitchell

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 10:31:58 am »

Looks like front focus. You should probably make a focusing test with a long ruler at an angle and see where the focus really is and rule out possible reasons one variable at time.

Cheers,
J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed, or even a wall with some texture shot at a 45 degree angle.

Snook

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 11:03:59 am »

Apparently I'm the only one who pays attention to what Snook shoots and what he has said. He has shot a P30 on his RZ for a good while with no fuzzy shots. That back is in for repair.  He has removed his P30 and is using a temporary P45 in the exact same setup. It seems quite obvious the P45 is the weak link here, not back focusing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for all the ideas.
I also think it is the Back for some reason. Also , as I mentioned, I did connect it to a AFDII and had the same results. So Do not think it is the back.

I always thought , but could be wrong, that if I was shooting at full length and was at F11 on MF
you would think a lot would be in focus..?
It is not the focus I think as there is nothing in focus on many shots...
it all seems some how soft.
Like I said I used to get that with my canons but when there was a lot of movement and my Acutes could not freeze as their flash duration stinks! Whether or not a studio is blacked out or not...:+}
I noticed also that the P45 they loaned me is a non + and has a little triangle in the upper right side of the lcd, on the glass, that my p30 did not have.
Do the P45 have a little triangle on the glass of the LCD? just another odd question and something I noticed.

Also like I mentioned there are no shots that are as sharp as my P30.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Snook

Mort54

• http://
Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:47:28 pm »

I noticed also that the P45 they loaned me is a non + and has a little triangle in the upper right side of the lcd, on the glass, that my p30 did not have.
Hi Snook. Regarding the triangle, if it's what I think it is, it's the pull tab of a clear, peel-off, LCD protector. My P45+ has one on the upper left corner, when looking at the screen.

Regarding the softness you are seeing, I agree, that's pretty bad. And given that you've seen this on two different bodies - one of which you are very familiar with and have had no focus problems with in the past - I also agree it almost certainly has to be a back or sensor alignment issue.

Given the higher pixel count of the P45, when you zoom to 100%, you are in effect zooming in more than you are when you view your P30 files at 100%. So shots that might look OK when taken with a lower resolution back might not look as good when shot with a higher resolution back, simply because the higher effective zoom reveals more vibration effects, lens deficiencies, etc. But even so, the shot you showed is clearly soft looking even before you get to 100%. My P45+ captures are so sharp that I rarely apply any sharpening, so clearly the back is capable of capturing sharp images.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:50:41 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

juicy

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »

Apparently I'm the only one who pays attention to what Snook shoots and what he has said. He has shot a P30 on his RZ for a good while with no fuzzy shots. That back is in for repair.  He has removed his P30 and is using a temporary P45 in the exact same setup. It seems quite obvious the P45 is the weak link here. I think the sensor is not where is should be inside the back. Maybe why it was set aside as a temp back or who knows why.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought that with a simple focus test it would be easy to see if there is anything sharp at all and if yes then how much the focus is off (if the sensor is farther away from the filmplane than it should it will cause front focusing like an extension tube). If nothing at all is in focus in a test Graham suggested then something else is the reason for fuzzyness (maybe there's a peel-off sensor protector also   ). And to make it completely clear I do not suggest there is something wrong with the focusing technique or lenses or viewfinder.

Cheers,
J
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:26:24 pm by juicy »

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 07:52:11 pm »

Hi Snook,

Have you tried the P45+ on your Mamyia 645AFDII ?

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Snook

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 10:03:38 pm »

Hi Snook,

Have you tried the P45+ on your Mamyia 645AFDII ?

Cheers

Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I do not have the +.. I was using the P45...
I have a P30 that is dying and they loaned me a P45
Snook

Natasa Stojsic

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »

I do not have the +.. I was using the P45...
I have a P30 that is dying and they loaned me a P45
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209659\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK!!! Regardless of P45/P45+, did you try it with your Mamyia 645AFDII?  and if you did,
please post some raw images!!!
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 12:49:23 am »

I can only say that I shot a P45+ on my Mamiya 645AFDII and it could not have been any sharper.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Mort54

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:10:43 am »

It's like everyone is talking on opposite sides of sound proof glass.
I agree; it's bizarre. It's as if people are only reading Snook's thread title and nothing more.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Snook

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 10:14:31 am »

I agree; it's bizarre. It's as if people are only reading Snook's thread title and nothing more.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks guys for standing up..:+]
I think that 1/2 the arguments that happen on these and other threads is b/c people do not read through the whole thread!!!
Yes I tried it on my AFDII and had the same results!!
I also have to agree it looks like a little OOF, but it is not as there is nothing in focus in the shot...:+}
I am not miss focusing by meters...:+}
Also it looks more like movement blur than oof to me..
Thanks for all the suggestions
Snook

Khun_K

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 10:51:23 am »

The image looked to me is sharper around the lip but less on the rest of image so may be the focus was setting in front of the model?  I think the hair line suggest there is little motion blue on this capture and what is the file size you generate?  The close up image exhibits lots of sharpening. I am using P45+ on Contax 645, I got constant sharp image, especially from the Apo-Makro Plannar 120/4, even with manual focus. Picture taken with P45+, ISO 50, Contax 645 with Apo-Makro-Planar 120/4 at f/16, 1/60s.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:55:45 am by Khun_K »

juicy

Fuzzy P45 images??
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 11:02:37 am »

Thanks guys for standing up..:+]
I think that 1/2 the arguments that happen on these and other threads is b/c people do not read through the whole thread!!!
Yes I tried it on my AFDII and had the same results!!
I also have to agree it looks like a little OOF, but it is not as there is nothing in focus in the shot...:+}
I am not miss focusing by meters...:+}
Also it looks more like movement blur than oof to me..
Thanks for all the suggestions
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209710\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No-one said YOU are miss focusing. You already know it's neither the lenses nor the body.
Doing a simple test to see if it's about sensor miss alignment (because someone parked a car on it) or something else is of course a time consuming task of about 180 seconds.

If the sensor is 1/3 mm behind the filmplane then with a 65mm lens focused to about 5 meters the focus might be a half a meter off.

Cheers,
J
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up