Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High School night sideline football  (Read 3408 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

High School night sideline football
« on: July 19, 2008, 02:52:48 pm »

The end of August my wife and I will be flying to Minnesotta to see our grandson play football. They play on Friday nights under the lights. I have received permission to be on the sidelines to photograph. When our sons were young I did sideline football pictures for the local high school, but these were day games so lens speed was not a factor. As I recall, I used two Nikkormat ELWs with motor winder. I think I mostly used a 200mm Nikkor lens.
I will be using a 1DS Mk III. I have a 500mm f4 IS (too heavy and too long), a 400mm f5.6 (too slow). I also have a 135mm f2L. With a 1.4X it will be a 189mm f2.8. I was considering picking up a used 200mm f2.8, but this is close to the 189mm obtained with the 1.4X and 135 lens, so this does not make too much sense. I also was considering a used 300mm f4L (either IS or non IS). To be honest, after I shoot the game, I'm not sure I would have too much use for a 300mm lens. Any suggestions from folks with night side line experience? Will f4 be fast enough? I don't care about noise (as I did not care about grain with pushed Tri-X). Thanks in advance.    
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com

KeithR

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:54:27 pm »

The end of August my wife and I will be flying to Minnesotta to see our grandson play football. They play on Friday nights under the lights. I have received permission to be on the sidelines to photograph. When our sons were young I did sideline football pictures for the local high school, but these were day games so lens speed was not a factor. As I recall, I used two Nikkormat ELWs with motor winder. I think I mostly used a 200mm Nikkor lens.
I will be using a 1DS Mk III. I have a 500mm f4 IS (too heavy and too long), a 400mm f5.6 (too slow). I also have a 135mm f2L. With a 1.4X it will be a 189mm f2.8. I was considering picking up a used 200mm f2.8, but this is close to the 189mm obtained with the 1.4X and 135 lens, so this does not make too much sense. I also was considering a used 300mm f4L (either IS or non IS). To be honest, after I shoot the game, I'm not sure I would have too much use for a 300mm lens. Any suggestions from folks with night side line experience? Will f4 be fast enough? I don't care about noise (as I did not care about grain with pushed Tri-X). Thanks in advance.     
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209407\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
First a bit of background. I shoot the MN Vikings in the Metrodome. An indoor stadium for an NFL team here in Minnesota. I used to shoot hs games on friday nights, cover the MN Gophers when they played outside before '82 and a community college that played at a HS stadium. I know all about pushing films, both color and B&W. Since it's opening in '82, I have referred to this place as a dungeon since the days of high speed film and now digital. I use lenses that are at least f/2.8 and shoot wide open. I call this a dungeon because it is dark. I'm shooting at ISO 1600 at 500-640 sec to stop action. This place is the home to an NFL, MLB, and a BIG 10 football teams. It is lit to be broadcast on national TV. Did I say it was dark? You are asking about shooting at one of our local high school stadiums for a night game. If I think the dome is dark, then HS fields are black holes-photographically speaking. Get the fasted glass you can lay your hands on. Quality wise, you probably won't be happy with anything with a TC in these situations. The Mark III will have(I assume since I shoot Nikon)nice high ISO-low noise level that will help also. Pushing Tri-x and noise from high ISO is not the same thing. And since you said that you will be here the end of August, most likely, you should still have some light at least for the first half of the game-provided that you have clear skies at the start of the game. I don't mean to sound down on our HS stadiums, but this is typical of most HS stadiums across the country. Just a fact of life.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:07:03 am »

First a bit of background. I shoot the MN Vikings in the Metrodome. An indoor stadium for an NFL team here in Minnesota. I used to shoot hs games on friday nights, cover the MN Gophers when they played outside before '82 and a community college that played at a HS stadium. I know all about pushing films, both color and B&W. Since it's opening in '82, I have referred to this place as a dungeon since the days of high speed film and now digital. I use lenses that are at least f/2.8 and shoot wide open. I call this a dungeon because it is dark. I'm shooting at ISO 1600 at 500-640 sec to stop action. This place is the home to an NFL, MLB, and a BIG 10 football teams. It is lit to be broadcast on national TV. Did I say it was dark? You are asking about shooting at one of our local high school stadiums for a night game. If I think the dome is dark, then HS fields are black holes-photographically speaking. Get the fasted glass you can lay your hands on. Quality wise, you probably won't be happy with anything with a TC in these situations. The Mark III will have(I assume since I shoot Nikon)nice high ISO-low noise level that will help also. Pushing Tri-x and noise from high ISO is not the same thing. And since you said that you will be here the end of August, most likely, you should still have some light at least for the first half of the game-provided that you have clear skies at the start of the game. I don't mean to sound down on our HS stadiums, but this is typical of most HS stadiums across the country. Just a fact of life.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Kieth. Your advice is appreciated. I will use my 135mm f2, and if the light allows use it also with my 1.4X.
Best regards.
Dave G.
PS If I were to decide to rent a 300mm f2.8, is there a dealer in the Minn/St. Paul area that may have one?
Thanks again
Dave

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 12:30:14 pm »

Thanks Kieth. Your advice is appreciated. I will use my 135mm f2, and if the light allows use it also with my 1.4X.
Best regards.
Dave G.
PS If I were to decide to rent a 300mm f2.8, is there a dealer in the Minn/St. Paul area that may have one?
Thanks again
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Call West Photo.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 03:47:28 pm »

Call West Photo.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209560\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just heard from my son; the games start at 7PM, and he said there was plenty of daylight at the start of the game, and finishes under the lights. When the lights are on I will stick to my fast 135mm f2 (and possibly with 1.4X as well). I found a very reasonable 300 f4 IS used, and I ordered it, for use at the beginning of the game when there is still daylight. Hopefuully f4 and 1600 ISO will result in high enough shutter speeds to reasonably stop some action. I plan on using a monopod.
Thanks again    
Dave

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:22:19 pm »

Call West Photo.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209560\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd also highly recommend West Photo. They have the 300 and 400 f2.8 to rent. Talk to Kyle, Shaun, or Steve.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up