Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 7.4v batteries with phase one backs...ok?  (Read 13323 times)

michaelnotar

7.4v batteries with phase one backs...ok?
« on: July 19, 2008, 02:40:24 am »

the batteries that come with the phase one backs are 7.2v, one third party battery (Impact) is spec'd to at 7.4v... will this work with the back or harm it or is there built in protection in the back?

thanks

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 06:37:41 pm »

the batteries that come with the phase one backs are 7.2v, one third party battery (Impact) is spec'd to at 7.4v... will this work with the back or harm it or is there built in protection in the back?

thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209332\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just checked my owners manual as well as Phase website – they recommend Canon BP 915 2500 mAh.  The way I figure it is you spent very good money on the back why skimp on something that could be dangerous to your investment.

don

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:21:29 pm »

Just checked my owners manual as well as Phase website – they recommend Canon BP 915 2500 mAh.  The way I figure it is you spent very good money on the back why skimp on something that could be dangerous to your investment.

don
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don, I was curious about this too, but not so much regarding the voltage, but regarding the Phase One reference to 2500 mAH. The Canon site shows the BP 915 at 1500 mAH so I wondered if there is a typo at Phase. [a href=\"http://estore.usa.canon.com/Specification.asp?ITEM_ID=35893]Canon Listing[/url]

I agree with your thoughts about protecting your expensive back, but there are generics which are rated at 7.2 V and range from 1500 mAH and 1850 mAH. The amp hour rating should not be a factor, but I think it's wise to watch the voltage (even though a slight difference of 0.2 V may not matter). Generic options of 7.2 volts include the Batteries.com branded offering as well as the Energizer ER-C560. Sometimes the Canon branded batteries can be hard to find, even at Canon dealers.

Cheers.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 07:40:35 pm »

Don, I was curious about this too, but not so much regarding the voltage, but regarding the Phase One reference to 2500 mAH. The Canon site shows the BP 915 at 1500 mAH so I wondered if there is a typo at Phase. Canon Listing

I agree with your thoughts about protecting your expensive back, but there are generics which are rated at 7.2 V and range from 1500 mAH and 1850 mAH. The amp hour rating should not be a factor, but I think it's wise to watch the voltage (even though a slight difference of 0.2 V may not matter). Generic options of 7.2 volts include the Batteries.com branded offering as well as the Energizer ER-C560. Sometimes the Canon branded batteries can be hard to find, even at Canon dealers.

Cheers.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I’ll fuss up here and tell the truth.  I looked all over for additional batteries but in the end I went to [a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com/]my dealer[/url] and got Phase.  I figured why nickel and dime when it could cause potential problems.

don

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 07:44:08 pm »

I’ll fuss up here and tell the truth.  I looked all over for additional batteries but in the end I went to my dealer and got Phase.  I figured why nickel and dime when it could cause potential problems.

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right. Getting them from Capture Integrations is a safe bet.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 09:52:45 am »

To Answer the 1st question, I would not use a 7.4 volt battery in a camera that is rated to 7.2.  

You can use a different rated milliamp battery, i.e. 3000, 3500, etc.  The millamp rating is a determination attempt rating the charge rate of the cell.  

The Canon cells, by brand are 1500 and possibly 2000  millamp.  I believe that Phase has these cells made for them, they are not stock Canon Cells.  

You can find many non Phase brand cells, rated at 3000 to 3500 millamps.  They are basically 2x in height but will fit in the battery well.  

So far in the U.S. the only place I have found the slim 7.2 volt 2500 millamp cells is from Phase One directly.  My solution has been to buy more Phase cells, due to warranty issues.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Snook

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:54:24 pm »

Quote from: Paul2660
To Answer the 1st question, I would not use a 7.4 volt battery in a camera that is rated to 7.2.  

You can use a different rated milliamp battery, i.e. 3000, 3500, etc.  The millamp rating is a determination attempt rating the charge rate of the cell.  

The Canon cells, by brand are 1500 and possibly 2000  millamp.  I believe that Phase has these cells made for them, they are not stock Canon Cells.  

You can find many non Phase brand cells, rated at 3000 to 3500 millamps.  They are basically 2x in height but will fit in the battery well.  

So far in the U.S. the only place I have found the slim 7.2 volt 2500 millamp cells is from Phase One directly.  My solution has been to buy more Phase cells, due to warranty issues.

Paul C

Anybody know where to get an alternative battery charger?
I have the silver double charger but it may be dying and want to make sure I have back up.
Does anybody know where I can get one..
Thanks alot
Snook

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 05:19:39 pm »

FWIW,

I use the Impact Li+ replacements and they work fine.  They are marked 7.4 v, 2200 mah versus the Phase batteries that are marked 7.2 v, 2500 mah.   If I measure the voltage at the posts of each battery under no load, my digital meter shows the Phase battery at 8.31v and the Impact at 8.34v; .03v being an insignificant difference IMO.  Obviously the Phase batteries do last a little longer, but the Impacts are a relative bargain at ~ $20 each

Cheers,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Snook

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 05:41:57 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
FWIW,

I use the Impact Li+ replacements and they work fine.  They are marked 7.4 v, 2200 mah versus the Phase batteries that are marked 7.2 v, 2500 mah.   If I measure the voltage at the posts of each battery under no load, my digital meter shows the Phase battery at 8.31v and the Impact at 8.34v; .03v being an insignificant difference IMO.  Obviously the Phase batteries do last a little longer, but the Impacts are a relative bargain at ~ $20 each

Cheers,

Got any link to the ones you have bought?
And do they make their own chargers?
Thanks for posting
Snook

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:01:15 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Got any link to the ones you have bought?
And do they make their own chargers?
Thanks for posting
Snook

Here -- and note that now it *is* rated 7.2v!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4174...ttery_Pack.html

They have a few chargers, and 4 are listed at the bottom of the above page under accessories.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:02:02 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

michaelnotar

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 07:08:11 pm »

seems the phase batteries are still the best, high capacity and almost no risk of damage. i have a canon 1500mA batt but it cost the same per mA as the phase battery.

ziocan

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 11:21:40 pm »

These are from Calumet and are rated 7.2v 2600mah, though the pic shows 2000mah.
they are within specs.
http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CJ0630/

There are plenty of battery chargers for those canon batteries on ebay or over the internet for about 20$.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:29:51 pm by ziocan »

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 12:00:52 am »

BP 915 double height batteries will not fit in a Phase One back. Panasonic makes a BP 911 battery spec'd at 2200 mAh at 7.4v.
The 0.02v. difference will not be a problem.

I recently purchased four of the Panasonics on ebay for $26 total, i.e. $6.50 each from "batterywholesalers". They have not been subjected to test as yet. I have no connection with "batterywholesalers" except for this purchase. For the past five years I have used two Phase  One batteries and three after market batteries with good success with one exception, a battery labeled "Maxell" which does not provide nearly 2000 mAh. I suspect that it is a counterfeit.

Those of us using Phase One backs are fortunate that these backs use a relatively popular battery as they cost less than those using proprietary batteries. For example, I recently purchased a Panasonic G1 for street photography. Panasonic is currently the only battery maker for this camera and these gems are 1250mAh at a cost pf $69.95 each from Panasonic or $59.95 from B&H (no discredit to B&H)!
Jack Varney

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:00 am »

I also use the Impacts as well rated at 7.4 2200 which replace the Canon BP-915 and been using them for months without any issues. Model number IMBP915. I have 3 of those and 2 Phase. The Phase batteries last a little longer it seems never done a test but just from use it seems that way.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Snook

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 04:15:40 pm »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
I also use the Impacts as well rated at 7.4 2200 which replace the Canon BP-915 and been using them for months without any issues. Model number IMBP915. I have 3 of those and 2 Phase. The Phase batteries last a little longer it seems never done a test but just from use it seems that way.

I got my charger fixed by a local electronics guy for 25.00 dollars...:+]
Still want to buy a back up as I have 2 of just about everything.
I called my local Phase dealer and they said just the charger alone was like 300.00 us dollars here.
THIS IS A JOKE!!
How the hell can they sell a charger for 300.00 dollars when you can buy a general brand one for 50.00 (Double charger mind you).
They aught to be  a shamed of themselves!!!!!!
Is it made of Gold?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
My 2 phase One batteries I just bought recently do not last much longer than the lexmar that were sold to me with my Phase back and Sony/Canon/JVC silver charger (double charger) by the way...
I certainly will be trying the off market batteries and charger.

300.00 is an absolute JOKE!

I can understand ,maybe, the batteries buying phase, But the charger? Are you kidding!

Snook

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 05:44:27 pm »

Quote from: Snook
I got my charger fixed by a local electronics guy for 25.00 dollars...:+]
Still want to buy a back up as I have 2 of just about everything.
I called my local Phase dealer and they said just the charger alone was like 300.00 us dollars here.
THIS IS A JOKE!!
How the hell can they sell a charger for 300.00 dollars when you can buy a general brand one for 50.00 (Double charger mind you).
They aught to be  a shamed of themselves!!!!!!
Is it made of Gold?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
My 2 phase One batteries I just bought recently do not last much longer than the lexmar that were sold to me with my Phase back and Sony/Canon/JVC silver charger (double charger) by the way...
I certainly will be trying the off market batteries and charger.

300.00 is an absolute JOKE!

I can understand, maybe, the batteries buying phase, But the charger? Are you kidding!

Snook

So buy someone else's if you're not happy. The point is Phase actively decided to use a readily available battery format and have included a very nice dual charger in the price of the back when purchased as a kit from a dealer. If you want to buy a second you can buy it from a dealer (our price is less than $300 by a lot, but not close to the general brand $50 version) or on your own.

Also please note the helpful article on the charger provided by phase: http://phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/A...Site%20-%20Main

Of note: if you place two differently charged batteries in at the same time it can take several minutes for it to give a reading of both batteries' charge level, but it WILL eventually do so. If you place them in one at a time you can see the charge level immediately. Also, like any piece of electronic very rarely you may need to "reboot it" (unplug and replug).

Also, try to keep your batteries from staying for an extended period completely empty, especially if they are stored in a warm place. That will kill their maximum charge level.

The voltage and physical size are the specs you need to match if you shop elsewhere. As I understand BP911/914/915 is a spec, not a specific battery (unless you buy the Canon branded 914. At $70 each and for how long they last along with the implicit guarantee of compatibility I don't know that it's worth the hassle to shop elsewhere except maybe for techs who buy batteries by the dozen.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer  |  Personal Portfolio

Snook

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »

Hey Doug thanks for the comment, But you have to admit it is totally absurd the price of the charger. The batteries are pretty high priced also but not absurd like the charger peice!
I asked my dealer today and he said it is like 250.00 more or less + VAT etc...:+{

I have some silver Lexar batteries like I said that were sold to me with my back when I bought it over a year ago and I just bought 2 new Phase batteries about 3 months ago. The Lexar seem to last just about as long.

A top of the line dual charger that is just as good as the phase charger is about 65.00.

Alteast what I have found.
What prices are the chargers you sell if they are way cheaper than 240.00 but a little more than 50.00?

Thanks for the information

Snook

Snook

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 07:48:08 am »

Does anybody know if this is the same one phase sells, and for a oot more money??
Thanks for any further info...:+}

http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=13330

Snook

siba

• http://www.stefansiba.com
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:11 am »

Over three years since initially shooting with the P25 and then P45 I've used third party batteries without any problems - albeit 7.2V, not the above mentioned 7.4.
They have varied from 1950mAh to 2300. They have also varied considerably in cost. I finally came across a local internet store here in the Czech Rep that delivered the next day for the equivalent of 20$ a piece. In the main pro store they cost 50$. I imagine someone in the US must be selling them for around 20$ also.

Just want to reiterate what one poster has already corrected - the larger double sized battery mentioned in post 6 will definitely not fit in the phase backs.

I think credit to Phase One for this aspect of the design. I've always appreciated the simplicity of replacing the battery, and the fact that it is a generic battery which is easy to find.

does anyone know of any external battery pack device for cold weather which could be used with the phase backs?

cheers
Stefan

Snook

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 08:13:51 am »

Stefan , I doubt very much that Phase One planned it that way and are not happy that they are easily available for MUCH cheaper.

Thanks
Snook

PS: Doug, How about those Charger prices? Could you please let us here know what you all are charging, No pun intended..:+]
Have some friend going to the states soon and if the price is right, I would like to pick one up..

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:16:14 am by Snook »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up