Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Honduras  (Read 3190 times)

NigelC

Honduras
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:18:27 am »

I will be in Honduras for 18 days in a few weeks, flying into San Pedro Sula from London via Houston. Will spend most time in Utila in the Bay Islands but also going to Copan Ruinas and a few other places. Honduras has a bad reputation for street crime (and worse!) and I'm a bit worried about waving an expensive camera around, particularly with white lens attached. I wondered whether to just take 5D and 24-105 and my scruffy Billingham bag which may not be taken for a camera bag. I may even restrict myself to an Oly 8080.

I was in Costa Rica and Nicaragua a few years back with no worries at all, but I think Honduras is quite a bit edgier (poorer?) than CS.

Anyone been to Honduras and have thoughts on this?

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
Honduras
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:34:18 am »

Latin America is as safe as walking in the streets of LA, NY, London, or any other city. Actually Bogota, which is where I live, is A LOT safer than many of the big cities of the world.

NigelC

Honduras
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:36:04 am »

Sergio

Thanks

Actually I live in the country and would rather live on Mars than in London but I take your point

Love to visit Columbia some time - been to Peru and Ecuador but some people say Columbia the best place they've been to in South America.

Nigel

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
Honduras
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:23:43 pm »

I will be in Honduras for 18 days in a few weeks, flying into San Pedro Sula from London via Houston. Will spend most time in Utila in the Bay Islands but also going to Copan Ruinas and a few other places. Honduras has a bad reputation for street crime (and worse!) and I'm a bit worried about waving an expensive camera around, particularly with white lens attached. I wondered whether to just take 5D and 24-105 and my scruffy Billingham bag which may not be taken for a camera bag. I may even restrict myself to an Oly 8080.

I was in Costa Rica and Nicaragua a few years back with no worries at all, but I think Honduras is quite a bit edgier (poorer?) than CS.

Anyone been to Honduras and have thoughts on this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209068\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I spent several weeks touring there last year and never felt threatened in any way - even with a MFDB and gear! Obviously one stays away from run-down areas and is extra careful after dark, but that rule applies anywhere in the world. My only advice is to keep your gear with you - don't leave it in your hotel room where even an honest person may be tempted.

I've done the same in Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina. Just be "aware" and awake!

Enjoy Honduras - it's a wonderful country with lovely people.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up