Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New error on ZD back on AFD2 body, HELP  (Read 6132 times)

Rudy Torres

New error on ZD back on AFD2 body, HELP
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:13 pm »

Yesterday while shooting interiors, the Mamiya 645ZD gave me a new error I've never received before, "no-fb".
I had to shut down, remount the back to the AFD2 body, and remove the ZD Battery from the camera, to start working again.
I looked up "no-fb" and this is a film back error.  Any ideas why the AFD2 was thinking film?
I have received the "db error" before but never "no-fb" until now.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have to mention that I was tethered to my Apple Powerbook g4 using Mamiya Digital Photo Studio.

- Rudy

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:52:44 pm »

Yesterday while shooting interiors, the Mamiya 645ZD gave me a new error I've never received before, "no-fb".
I had to shut down, remount the back to the AFD2 body, and remove the ZD Battery from the camera, to start working again.
I looked up "no-fb" and this is a film back error.  Any ideas why the AFD2 was thinking film?

I have to mention that I was tethered to my Apple Powerbook g4 using Mamiya Digital Photo Studio.
- Rudy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With the latest frirmware, the ZD now understands its limitations at long exposures, and tells you to change to film. Since you didn't have a film back attached, "no-fb"  

Cheers,
Kumar

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:54:27 pm »

I looked up "no-fb" and this is a film back error.  Any ideas why the AFD2 was thinking film?

- Rudy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Rudy,

I have never received that error on my zd back, but my guess is that it's a wacky communication error between the body and the zd back.  In some ways, I imagine it's 'just' a complex version of the "no db" message that you've received (I've received that message a number of times on my set up too).

My amateur advice is to try to replicate the error to see if it was just a hiccup or if it is a pattern that is developing with your set up.  I haven't been able to figure out what situations create the 'no db' message consistently so it may be easier said than done but...

Lastly, I'd recommend calling Mamiya support.  They seem to be committed to problem-solving issues with us ZD owners.  

I'm still working on a consistent error I've discovered with my back related to a very bizarre date/time issue where the time readjusts itself to 'impossible' times such as 34:23, etc.  I am calling Mamiya today to discuss.  

Good luck with problem-solving and keep us posted with your progress.

-Josh

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:21:47 pm »

Possibly cleaning the contacts between the back and body and see if it happens again. Possibly the body was supposed to be seeing a 1 and it saw a 0, that could trigger a fault condition. In my previous life (before retirement) I had to troubleshoot the control systems in automobiles. Connectors and terminals were the biggest culprits for intermittent problems. Quite often cleaning them and checking fit would solve the problem.

If it becomes a "regular" occurence then it is time to send the body and back to Mamiya for repair.

Rich

P.S. Just another thought, what was the power level on the Powerbook when this happened? Probably not the cause, just another possibility if there was a sudden drop or glitch in the signals between the computer and back.

Just throwing some thoughts out here.

Rudy Torres

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 05:13:22 pm »

Thanks for all the replies guys. OK lets start with the power level of the powerbook. It was plugged into the wall so firewire should have been up to spec.  I will definitely clean the contacts but I have never touched the contacts and I am a neat freak especially since I went digital. I've emailed Anthony Pak at Mamiya this morning with this error but I haven't received a response. He has told me before with other issues I've had that since I shoot mainly tethered any issues I have with tethered work flow Mamiya will not offer support. So it doesn't surprise that his response is less than immediate.  

Josh, I read your post on the date-time issue you're having and I have to be honest and say I haven't noticed this on my system.

I'll keep everyone posted with anything new.

Keep those suggestions coming.

Thank you everyone

- Rudy

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 05:55:31 pm »

Rudy,

What about power levels within the camera and back?  Did you have fresh batteries?  What did the battery meters display?  I wonder if the power issue could be the combination of perhaps low power batteries in the camera itself?  

Just grabbing at possibilities here.  Good thing about contacting Anthony.  I wrote him yesterday about my date/time issue and haven't heard from him yet, we'll have to wait and see.

-Josh

Rudy Torres

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 06:26:23 pm »

Josh

Camera batteries were replaced on a shoot 2 days ago.  The ZD battery was fresh and didn't go to half power until 4 hours into the project. The "no-fb" error happened on my first angle of the day about after shooting about 6 frames.  After my reboot of everything the 645Zd worked fine the rest of the day.

I agree with you, the shooting experience with the ZD back becomes less troublesome with fresh batteries, (both for the ZD back and body).

- Rudy

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:47:07 am »

There is a firmware upgrade for the 645AFDII, check with Mac Group.

From the website:

"Free 645AFD II Upgrade (for use with ZD Digital backs)
There is a Free firmware upgrade for the Mamiya 645AFDII camera that provides two valuable benefits.

Enhances the information shown in the viewfinder and top LCDs:
a)   When the buffer is full and you depress the shutter release button, the viewfinder and top LCD indicates "busy db"
   When the card is full and you depress the shutter button half way, you will see "stor db"; if you depress the shutter fully the viewfinder LCD will display "busy db"
c)   When there is no card and you depress the shutter button half way, you will see "stor db"; if you depress the shutter fully the viewfinder LCD will display "busy db" (only when the back is set to allow release without card).
d)   When you depress the shutter button without a back attached, the LCD will say "no fb"
Improves the interface between the 645AFD II and digital backs from other companies.
Only cameras with serial numbers prior to GG (EH to GF) will need this upgrade (Note: This upgrade is only required when using the 645AFD II with digital backs). Later serial numbered camera bodies already have the modifications. Any 645 AFD II shipped from our warehouse after August 3, 2007 (regardless of serial number) has been upgraded with the latest firmware."
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Rudy Torres

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:36:41 am »

Ian

I bought the 645ZD system in January 08.  The serial number on the camera body starts with HA.
This is one of those items I spoke with Anthony at Mamiya when I first started having issues with this BRAND NEW system... Firmware. The ZD Back and the AFD2 Body do not display their respective current firmware versions.

- Rudy

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 12:37:40 pm »

Well that would have been too easy
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co
Pages: [1]   Go Up